Книги

Putnam
C.Barnes
Handley Page Aircraft since 1907
139

C.Barnes - Handley Page Aircraft since 1907 /Putnam/

Tom Harry England ready to take off with Harold Bolas to demonstrate the automatic slot on Bristol Fighter F4967 at Cricklewood on 18 November, 1927, with Col Seely at port wingtip.
Wing Commander Vernon Brown explains the auto-slot to members of Cambridge University Air Squadron during summer training at Old Sarum in 1929.
Ross Smith’s O/400 C9861 with two Bristol Fighters of No.1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, at Haifa after the capture of Damascus in October 1918.
The first prototype Handley Page O/100, No 1455, at Hendon in December 1915 at about the time of its maiden flight; note the enclosed crew cabin and the vertical radiators above the engine nacelles.
View of 1455 at Hendon in December 1915, showing original radiators and enclosed cockpit, taken by the late H.R.Busteed.
Handley Page and Lieut Commander J. T. Babington in the cockpit of 1456.
1457 at Hendon in June 1916, showing aft crew station and elevators with fabric removed from horn balance.
Engine runs at Cricklewood on 1458 with new nacelles in September 1916.
3117 at Cricklewood with Sunbeam Cossacks, showing original exhaust stacks through upper wing.
3117 at Manston in July 1917, showing Sunbeam Cossacks with modified exhausts.
3117 at Farnborough in November 1917 after installation of four Hispano-Suizas.
3138 at Martlesham Heath before progressive modification into prototype O/400.
First O/100 to arrive at Coudekerque in June 1917 was 3116.
1463 at Chalandry after capture on 1 January, 1917.
Savory’s 3124 at Otranto en route for Mudros, with spare airscrews lashed to the fuselage.
Davis gun installed on 3127 at Redcar in September 1917.
Lance Sieveking’s 3123 Split-Pin at Redcar in September 1917.
An elaborately camouflaged O/100 3126 at Manston (at Orfordness ???) in 1917, an aerodrome used by the RNAS both as an O/100 crew training station and as a base for operational North Sea patrols.
The only Щ/100 with Fiat A.12bis engines was 3142, intended for Russia in November 1917.
3138, the O/400 prototype, flying with Sunbeam Maori engines at Martlesham Heath in April 1918.
J2260 of the Wireless Testing Park, Biggin Hill, during night navigation trials at Croydon in April 1922.
Ross Smith’s O/400 C9861 with two Bristol Fighters of No.1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, at Haifa after the capture of Damascus in October 1918.
Maintenance work on O/400 of No.214 Squadron at Coudekerque on 1 June, 1918.
C9700 at Provin before being flown to Kantara in November 1918 by Brigadier-General Borton.
C3487, the first production O/400, completed at the Royal Aircraft Factory in March 1918.
F318 at Heliopolis in June 1919 after flying from Lympne in 36 hours.
Getting an R.A.F. "baby" bomber into position in an aerodrome on the British Western front in France
O/400 of No.207 Squadron at Ligescourt on 29 August, 1918.
Gallopin' Goose at Kelly Field, Texas, in 1921, compared with a Martin MB-1.
F5349 with Liberty engines at Cricklewood in February 1919; in the pilot’s cockpit is the Crown Prince of Sweden, with Lt-Col Ormonde Darby beside him.
Standard-built 62448 over Aberdeen proving range with 4,000-lb bomb in September 1921.
Major K.R. Park with his double crew at Andover after flying F3750 Last Days round the British Isles in April 1919.
Silver Star at Cricklewood in April 1919 showing large cabin window.
Great Britain at Cricklewood in April 1919 showing small cabin windows.
O/400 fuselage built by British Caudron at Cricklewood, showing fuel tanks and vertical bomb stowage
F5349 being erected by US Air Service personnel at Ford Junction in October 1918.
C9700 wrecked by cyclone at Lahore in April 1919.
Salvaging engines from the 0/400 which crashed at Abu Hamed on 4 April, 1920.
G/100 at Hendon in March 1914 with revised outer wing struts and Garuda airscrew.
G/100 with brass-tipped Chauviere airscrew at Hendon in November 1913.
Princess Lowenstein-Wertheim and Rowland Ding in G/100 at Hendon in May 1914, showing silencer and simplified chassis.
Princess Lowenstein-Wertheim and Rowland Ding in G/100 at Hendon in MAy 1914
Crowd surrounding G/100 at the Stray, Harrogate, in July 1914.
HP Type G (HP7) as No.892 in RNAS service in November 1914.
The first Beardmore-built V/1500, E8287, at Inchinnan in September 1918 with original tail unit and Galloway Atlantic engines
Harland & Wolff delivered E4307, their first complete V/1500, to Aldergrove in the first week of November 1918, but it was not flown till 20 December.
J6573 with Napier Lions at Martlesham Heath in 1920.
Last Cricklewood-built V/1500, F8290, showing raised water header tanks of latest engine installation.
Rigging checks on B9463 after erection at Cricklewood in April 1918.
B9463 at Cricklewood in June 1918 before its fatal last flight.
A Harland & Wolff-built V/1500 of No. 166 Squadron at Bircham Newton early in 1919.
J1935 (formerly B9464) in Nivo finish at Martlesham Heath in October 1918.
E8287 at Inchinnan with revised tail unit in October 1918.
F7136, the third Cricklewood-built V/1500, in which Clifford Prodger took forty passengers aloft on 15 December, 1918; this aircraft featured lowered nacelles and was intended for installation of Napier Lions.
Beardmore-built E8295 at Inchinnan before delivery in May 1919.
Wing Commander R. H. Mulock with aircrew of No. 166 Squadron at Bircham Newton, under the Belfast-built V/1500 in which they flew for nearly 12 hours in April 1919 before Nos. 166 and 167 Squadrons disbanded.
Clifford Prodger in the cockpit of E8287 at Inchinnan in October 1918, showing Galloway Atlantic installation.
Napier Lions installed in J6573 in September 1919.
B9464 at Martlesham Heath as delivered from Cricklewood in August 1918.
B9464 at Cricklewood with extra fin and tail fairing in September 1918.
B9464 at Martlesham Heath in September 1918 with enlarged tail unit and nacelle panels removed.
V/1500 second prototype J1935 in October 1918.
F7140 on test after repair on site at Parrsboro.
F7140 over Long Island in October 1919, with 'bulldog' badge on nose.
Wing-folding arrangement and lowered nacelle of F7136.
Cricklewood-built F7135 at Bircham Newton, showing early-type radiator on starboard nacelle and revised hexagonal type on port nacelle.
V/1500 production at Dalmuir works of William Beardmore & Co Ltd in 1918
Gallopin' Goose at Kelly Field, Texas, in 1921, compared with a Martin MB-1.
Ronald Whitehouse taking off in Yellow Peril.
Ronald Whitehouse in Yellow Peril at Hendon in August 1913.
HP Type E (HP5) in 1913 with modified fin and ailerons instead of warping.
Yellow Peril in the Beatty Flying School at Hendon after conversion to single-seater in 1914.
G.R.Volkert's original general arrangement drawing of E/50 with ailerons
Weiss monoplane launcher at Fambridge in December 1908
Bluebird after addition of tailplane in May 1910.
Frederick Handley Page in Bluebird in April 1910.
Bluebird rebuilt as Type C in 1910 with Alvaston engine, with wings of Type D in background.
HP Type D (HP4) was at Olympia in March 1911 with Green engine.
Close-up of Type D at Olympia in April 1911.
Bluebird rebuilt as Type C in 1910 with Alvaston engine, with wings of Type D in background.
Frederick Handley Page on his first experimental glider. The maker famous for large aircraft had small beginnings in 1909.
Tucker on the first glider at Creekmouth in 1909.
Handley Page's first glider at Barking in 1909
F/70 flying at Hendon on 17 November, 1912.
Sonoda biplane at Hendon in August 1912.
Two views of the second R/200, N28, at Grain in December 1917.
The W.8's original tall fin and rudder was later reduced in height.
C9713 at Cricklewood in March 1919 with new landing gear and balanced hornless ailerons, before installation of equal-span wings and single tail.
G-EAPJ at Martlesham Heath in August 1920.
G-EAPJ with overwing fuel tanks at Plough Lane, Croydon, in July 1922.
W.8 in the Paris Salon in December 1919
The W.8 at Olympia in July 1920, showing revised fin and rudder.
W.8 G-EAPJ nearing completion at Cricklewood in November 1919.
G-EBBH flew as Melbourne for only a week before being unveiled as Prince George at Croydon on 16 May, 1922; G-EATH survived as the last O/10 till 1924.
G-EBBG entered service with Handley Page Transport Ltd on 4 May, 1922, as Bombay, but became Princess Mary twelve days later.
G-EBBI Prince Henry taking off from Croydon in 1922.
The fourth W.8b, O-BAHK, built at Cricklewood for SABENA.
G-EBBG in the blue livery of Imperial Airways in 1924.
Wind-tunnel model of projected W.8a with Cosmos Jupiters, full-span slots and flaps.
O/400 passenger conversion D8350 at Cricklewood in June 1919.
The first O/7, HP-1, at Cricklewood in July 1919, showing long nacelles and full-height forward end of cabin.
F5414 at Cricklewood after being rebuilt as an O/7 in July 1919, showing Marconi R/T aerial masts at nose and stern.
Civil O/400 G-EAKG of Handley Page Transport Ltd climbing out of Cricklewood.
G-EASL, the first O/11 cargo conversion for Handley Page Transport Ltd.
The only Napier Lion engined O/400 was G-EASO Old Carthusian II in May 1920.
G-EBBH flew as Melbourne for only a week before being unveiled as Prince George at Croydon on 16 May, 1922; G-EATH survived as the last O/10 till 1924.
G-IAAA at Calcutta in March 1920 after being shipped from Cape Town.
HP-11 (G-EAPA) at Cricklewood in January 1920, finished in aluminium dope with blue nacelles and pink silk interior trim for Handley Page Indo-Burmese Transport Ltd.
G-EASX, the last O/10 for India, was a replacement for G-EAPA; not only was it trimmed in pink silk, but it was also painted all over in pink for the Thakur Saheb of Morvi.
G-EATH at Plough Lane, Croydon, after overhaul for the Paris-Basle-Zurich route in 1923.
Pioneer at Wynberg before being flown to Beaufort West in February 1920.
The first O/7 air mail flight about to leave Peking for Tientsin on 7 May, 1919, with B. F. Alston and staff of the British Legation.
G-EATK at Filton on 5 February, 1922, after installation of Bristol Jupiters; in the cockpit are (left) Gordon Olley of Handley Page Transport Ltd and (right) Arthur Suddes of the Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd.