Самолеты (сортировка по:)
Страна Конструктор Название Год Фото Текст

AEG G.I - G.IV

Страна: Германия

Год: 1915

Бомбардировщик

AEG - C.III - 1915 - Германия<– –>AEG - C.IV/C.IVA/C.V/C.VI - 1916 - Германия


В.Кондратьев Самолеты первой мировой войны


AEG G-II/G-III/G-IV

  Берлинская фирма Альгемайне Электрицитатс Гезельшафт (AEG) приступила к созданию многомоторных аэропланов в начале 1915 года. Первая серийная модификация AEG G-2 появилась в июле того же года. Буква "G" в индексе машины обозначает Grossflugzeuge, в переводе с немецкого - "большой самолет". В дальнейшем (до появления классов "R" и "GL") этой буквой стали обозначать все многомоторные самолеты Германии и Австро-Венгрии.
  G-II - двухмоторный биплан классической схемы с тянущими винтами. Экипаж 3 человека: пилот, носовой стрелок-бомбардир и задний стрелок. Кабины экипажа сообщающиеся.
  Конструкция смешанная с преобладанием металла. Каркас фюзеляжа и оперения, а также лонжероны крыльев, стойки бипланной коробки и моторамы выполнены из тонкостенных стальных труб, нервюры деревянные. Носовая законцовка обтекаемой формы выклеена из шпона. Капоты моторов дюралевые, обшивка передней части фюзеляжа - фанера, всего остального - полотно.
  Построено от 15 до 20 экземпляров G-II. Некоторые из них имели дополнительные рули поворота, укрепленные на стабилизаторе.
  В декабре 1915-го запущен в серию AEG G-III с увеличенным размахом крыльев и более мощными моторами. Элероны и рули этой машины имели роговую аэродинамическую компенсацию.
  С февраля 1916-го G-III начали поступать на вооружение бомбардировочных эскадр Главного командования германской армии (сокращенно - Kagohl) на западном фронте. Позднее AEG появились на итальянском и македонском фронтах.
  К концу 1916-го бомбардировщик оснастили новыми 260-сильными моторами "Мерседес". Машина получила обозначение G-IV.
  Эта модификация выпускалась до конца войны и стала наиболее массовой. Внешне она почти ничем не отличалась от G-III, за исключением установки двухлопастных винтов взамен четырехлопастных и дугообразно изогнутых задних кромок элеронов.
  Некоторые экземпляры оборудовали двойной пилотской кабиной и спаренным управлением. В этом случае экипаж состоял из четырех человек. В 1917-1918 годах AEG G-IV считался отличным фронтовым бомбардировщиком, возможно, лучшим в своем классе.
  На финальном этапе войны G-IV составляли основу немецкой ближнебомбардировочной авиации. Эти машины широко применялись на западном фронте, в частности - при нанесении последних германских ударов в Пикардии и во Фландрии весной 1918-го. На румынском фронте эскадры AEG бомбили Бухарест, а на итальянском - Венецию и Падую. Всего за годы войны построено 542 бомбардировщика AEG, из них свыше 400 относилось к модификации G-IV.
  
  
ДВИГАТЕЛИ
  
  "Бенц" Bz.III, 150 л.с. (G-II) или "Мерседес" D.IV, 220 л.с. (G-III) или "Мерседес" D.IVa, 260 л.с. (G-IV).
  
  
ВООРУЖЕНИЕ
  
  Носовая и хвостовая турели Шнейдера с пулеметами "Парабеллум". Бомбовая нагрузка G-II - 200 кг, G-III - 300 кг, G-IV - 350 кг.
  
  
ЛЕТНО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ ХАРАКТЕРИСТИКИ
  
  Размах, м 18,35
  Длина, м 9,85
  Площадь крыла, кв.м 67,0
  Сухой вес, кг 2397
  Взлетный вес, кг 3630
  Скорость максимальная, км/ч 145
  Продолжительность полета, час,мин 4,5
  Время набора высоты, мин/м 23/3000
  Потолок, м 4000


O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)


A.E.G. G I (K I)
  First of the A.E.G. twin-engined bombers, which led eventually to the G IV, this aircraft had a crew of three, appeared early in 1915. Only a single machine was built. Engines, two 100 h.p. Mercedes D I. Span, 160 m. (52 ft. 6 in.). Length, 8.65 m. (28 ft. 4 1/2 in.). Weights: Empty, 1,160 kg. (2,552 lb.). Loaded, 1,954 kg. (3,199 lb.). Speed, 125 km.hr. (78.125 m.p.h.). Climb, 800 m. (2,624 ft.) in 10-12 min.

A.E.G. G II
  Appearing in July 1915, the G II was a slightly larger and more powerful version of the G I, and was seen with both triple and single tail. Armed with two to three machine-guns, it was used in small numbers by the Kampfgeschwadern. Some 15 to 20 aircraft were constructed. Engines, two 150 h.p. Benz Bz III. Span, 16.2 m. (53 ft. 1 7/8 in.). Length, 9.1 m. (29 ft. 10 3/8 in.). Weights: Empty, 1,450 kg. (3,190 lb.). Loaded, 2,470 kg. (5,434 lb.). Speed, 140 km.hr. (87.5 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 11 min. With crew of three, 200 kg. of bombs could be carried externally.

A.E.G. G III
  First of the A.E.G. twins to have balanced control surfaces, this series first appeared in December 1915. Limited numbers were produced. Kagohl I in Macedonia was equipped with this type in March 1916. Although similar to the subsequent G IV, the G III was distinguishable by the opposite hand of its airscrews, due to the gearing of the eight-cylinder 220 h.p. Mercedes D IV engines. Span, 18.44 m. (60 ft. 6 in.). Length, 9.2 m. (30 ft. 2 1/4 in.). Weights: Empty, 1,940 kg. (4,268 lb.). Loaded, 3,015 kg. (6,633 lb.). Speed, 158 km.hr. (98.75 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 6 min. Range, 700 km. Crew, three. Armament, two manually operated machine-guns and 300 kg. bombs.


A.E.G. G IV

  It is difficult to understand why the German High Command should have introduced the A.E.G. G IV operationally towards the end of 1916. It used the same two Mercedes D IVa power plants as its contemporary Friedrichshafen and Gotha bombers, but possessed neither their range nor lifting power. It was simply a slightly further refinement of the A.E.G. G I, G II and G III types which had preceded it in small numbers, and which had been used both as battle planes and bombers.
  The wings consisted of a fixed centre-section with detachable swept-back outer panels. They were of composite construction and built on two 50 mm. diameter steel tube spars, spaced 3 ft. 8 1/2 in. apart. The wooden ribs were not of the usual plywood type but of solid wood (probably poplar) glued into grooved flanges. Lightening holes were cut in them and they were reinforced between with wooden uprights. The ribs were not directly fixed to the spars, but were loosely threaded on, held in place and correctly distanced by the wooden leading edge and wire trailing edge. False ribs were spaced between the main ribs. As in the A.E.G. C IV, two steel tubes (housing the aileron cables) ran through the lower wing panels, extending as far as the outer interplane struts, where the cables then ran up to the actuating crank of the large balanced ailerons on the upper wing. These were of steel tube framing and possessed the distinctive profile of the C IV ailerons. Steel tube compression members with cable bracing wires completed the internal structure of the wing panels.
  The engines were mounted on a complicated system of steel struts attached directly to the lower wing spars and were additionally braced to the fuselage upper longerons and again to the lower wing spars immediately above the inboard undercarriage vee attachment points. A peculiarity of the engine mountings was the absence of any struts linking them to the top wing. A feature of all the A.E.G. twin-engined machines was the installation of the engines as tractor units when the majority of contemporary German twins seemed to favour a pusher arrangement. Car-type radiators were fitted immediately behind the propellers, and provision was made for the engine to be completely panelled in, although the top and often the side panels, were not used in practice.
  As in the C IV and J types, welded steel tube was used for the construction of the fuselage and tail assembly. The fuselage was welded in one complete unit and not two or three sub-assemblies, as was sometimes the case with bigger aircraft. The nose section was covered with plywood, elsewhere fabric was used. The fixed fin surfaces of the tail were of a built-up highly cambered section, although the tall horn-balanced rudder and split elevators were still of approximate flat plate section. The loads imposed on the fin by the exceptionally tall rudder necessitated this being braced to the lop longerons with steel struts, a feature not always apparent from photographs. The tailplane was braced to the underside of the fuselage, again by steel struts but in more orthodox manner; it was adjustable to three different incidence settings.
  Due to the combination of its comparatively high structural weight and relatively small size for a twin aircraft, the G IV could only carry a small load when fully fuelled, and for this reason it was mostly used for short-range tactical bombing behind the lines on the Western Front. On occasion it was used, without a bomb load, for long-distance reconnaissance and aerial photography.
  On the port side of the rear cockpit were two racks for 25 lb. (10 kg.) bombs, and a third rack for the same size bombs under the floor between the main and rear cockpits. Provision was made to carry one 1 cwt. (50 kg.) bomb under each lower wing and a further two or three under the fuselage itself. All bombs were released by a control in the forward cockpit.
  Although accommodation was sufficient for a crew of four, the normal complement was three. All these stations were interconnected and the crew could change position during flight as occasion demanded, but due to the extreme sensitivity of the longitudinal control the front cockpit usually remained occupied. The control column was headed with a wheel for aileron control. A steel tube could be fixed into the control column and a spare rudder-bar, linking with the pilots', let into the floor, thereby affording a measure of dual control in all but ailerons. The value of such a limited degree of control seems doubtful, but it probably enabled the copilot to make some sort of landing in an emergency.
  The undercarriage was a twin-chassis affair of orthodox vee type construction and mounted directly under each power unit. Shock absorbers were of spiral steel springs, of which no less than 144 were used in the complete undercarriage. The tailskid was again a stout welded sheet steel component.
  Although by no means a star performer, considerable numbers of G IVs were built and continued to operate up to the end of hostilities, some fifty still being in use in August 1918. The type was used for both day and night bombing raids over the Allied "back areas". Including the earlier G I, II and III machines, a total of 542 G types were manufactured by A.E.G.
  An aircraft of increased span with three bay struts, and known as the G IVb, was built. Another experiment was the G IVk, with installation of the 2 cm. Becker cannon in the nose; several were built and assessed at the Front by the Schlastas.

TECHNICAL DATA
  Purpose: Bombing and specialised reconnaissance.
  Manufacturers: Allgemeine Elektrizitats Gesellschaft (A.E.G.).
  Power Plant: Two 260 h.p. Mercedes D IVa 6 cylinder in-line water cooled.
  Dimensions: Span, 18.40 m. (60 ft. 4 1/2 in.). Length, 9.70 m. (31 ft. 9 7/8 in.). Height, 3.90 m. (12 ft. 9 5/8 in.). Wing area, 67 sq.m. (675.36 sq.ft.).
  Weights: Empty, 2,400 kg. (5,280 lb.). Loaded, 3,630 kg. (7,986 lb.).
  Performance: Maximum speed, 165 km.hr. (103 m.p.h.). Initial climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 5 min. Ceiling, 4,500 m. (14,760 ft.). Duration, 3 1/4 hr. at full power. 4-5 hr. cruise.
  Armament: Two Parabellum free-firing machine-guns. One on ring mounting in front cockpit; one on rail mounting traversing three sides of rectangular rear cockpit. Bomb-load: 880 lb.


A.E.G. G IVb
  This aircraft was basically a standard G IV fitted with long-span wings. Engines, two 260 h.p. Mercedes D IVa. Span, 24.0 m. (78 ft. 9 in.). Length, 9.7 m. (31 ft. 9 7/8 in.). Weights: Empty, 2,453 kg. (5,397 lb.). Loaded, 3,700 kg. (8,140 lb.). Speed 160 km.hr. (100 m.p.h.). A second version (856/16) with biplane tail was also constructed.

A.E.G. G IVk
  Yet another variant of the G IV. Fitted with 2 cm. Becker Cannon in an armoured nose panel, and intended for use with the Schlachtgeschwadern in 1918, it is not thought to have been used operationally. A biplane tail unit was fitted and armour plate panels also enclosed the 260 h.p. Mercedes D IVa engines. Standard G IV wing cellule of 18.4 m. (60 ft. 44 in.) was fitted. A second version with G V wing cellule (G IVk 503/18) also existed.


Журнал Flight


Flight, July 12, 1917.

SOME 1917 TYPE GERMAN AEROPLANES.

Twin-Engine A.E.G., 450 h.p.

  It has already been mentioned that the Allgemeine Elektrizitats Gesellschaft make a twin-engine biplane. This machine, which is built entirely of steel, is fitted with two Benz or Mercedes engines of 225 h.p. each, placed in nacelles between the wings. The radiators are in the nose of the nacelles, as are also, in contradistinction to the Gotha, the air screws. The fuselage, which has seating accommodation for three occupants, projects a considerable distance ahead of the main plane.


Flight, November 1, 1917.

THE TWIN-ENGINE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE.

  IN the early days of the war it was the habit of the lay Press to use the name Taube generically for all military machines of German origin, and this caused some confusion in sometimes spreading the impression that the machines which figured in reports of fights in the air were of the Taube monoplane type, when, as a matter of fact, this type of aeroplane had long since been abandoned by the Germans. In the same manner there would at the present moment appear to be the possibility of causing some confusion by assigning to all German aeroplanes carrying out bombing raids on this country the designation "Gotha." As a matter of fact, it must not be assumed that these raiders are necessarily always of the Gotha type, as Germany possesses others which would in all probability be capable of raids on England, for which they with some amount of probability may be assumed to have been used. We are referring to the large twin-engine biplanes built by the Allgemeine Elektrizitats Gesellschaft, and known as A.E.G. biplanes.
  The A.E.G. firm was, perhaps, one of the first in Germany to turn its attention to machines of large dimensions, although not to such extent as the Capronis in Italy or the Handley-Pages in this country. One of the first A.E.G. twin-engine biplanes to become known to our pilots on the western front made its appearance during 1916, and was briefly described by M. Jean Lagorgette in our French contemporary l'Airophile of August, 1916. This machine had a long convered-in fuselage providing accommodation for the pilot and gunners, while the two engines were placed on the wings, sufficiently far out for the two tractor screws to clear the nose of the fuselage. The planes, of which the upper was slightly longer than the lower, were set at a dihedral angle, and were also swept back in the manner beloved by German aeroplane designers. Little was known of these machines, except that they were believed to be made almost entirely of steel.
  The following particulars of the 1917 type A.E.G. bombers may be of interest, since, as already mentioned, there is a possibility of these being employed for raids on this country as well as the Gothas. The general arrangement will be clear from the accompanying perspective views and scale drawings, which latter should not be very far wrong in any dimension, although we cannot guarantee that they are absolutely correct. They have been plotted with the aid of the perspective views, with which they tally fairly accurately.
  Fundamentally the A.E.G. bomber resembles the Gotha biplanes, illustrated descriptions of which were published in our issues of July 12th and August 9th, 1917. In dimensions, however, the two machines differ considerably, the Gotha being somewhat larger. Also the A.E.G. has its two airscrews placed in front of the main planes, whereas in the Gotha they are "pusher" screws. As in the Gotha, the wings of the A.E.G. are swept back, and are also placed at a dihedral angle, which appears to be greater in the bottom than in the top plane. The span, it will be seen from the scale drawings, is the same for both planes, and amounts to 57 ft., while the overall length is about 30 ft. The ailerons, which are of a peculiar shape, are fitted to the top plane only, and are operated by a crank lever working in a slot in the plane as shown in one of the accompanying sketches. This arrangement, which will be familiar to our readers from descriptions of Albatros biplanes, would appear to be in general favour with German designers, whereas it is rarely or never met with in Allied machines.
  The tail planes, which are of the monoplane type, consist of fixed stabilising planes and a vertical fin, to which are hinged the elevators and rudder respectively. Both elevators and rudder have forward projections in order to partly balance them, thus relieving the pilot of a certain amount of the strain of working the controls. A tail skid is fitted under the stern of the fuselage, and is sprung, not by means of rubber shock absorbers as is usually the case with our machines, but by means of coil springs. The same is the case with the landing chassis, where coil springs are also used instead of rubber. Whether this "indicates a shortage of rubber" in Germany, or whether, for machines of such large dimensions and heavy weight, it has been found more suitable, it is not possible to say.
  As already mentioned, the material used in the construction is, with very few exceptions, steel, practically the only parts made of wood being the ribs of the main planes. The main spars are in the form of steel tubes, which is rather surprising in view of the fact that about the worst use to put a circular or tubular section to is to employ it as a beam laterally loaded, since much of the material of such a section will be situated at or near the neutral axis, where it is adding weight without contributing greatly towards the strength. Possibly the tube has been chosen, in this instance, for reasons connected with the manufacture rather than from considerations of structural suitability. The method of attaching the root of the main spar to the centre section of the top plane is shown in one of our sketches. The short length joining the centre section spar and root of wing appears to be turned from the solid, hollowed out at one end to receive the centre section spar, and having machined on the other a forked end to receive the root of the main spar. The strut socket, which resembles those usually found on German machines, is attached to it by welding.
  Like the rest of the machine, the fuselage of the A.E.G. bomber is built up of steel tubes, this material being used for longerons as well as for struts and cross members. These are connected by welding and the joints are stiffened and anchorage provided for the cross bracing wires by triangular pieces of sheet steel welded to longerons and struts. The arrangement will be better understood by reference to one of the accompanying sketches.
  With regard to the accommodation for the occupants, this is divided into three divisions. In the front cockpit - in the extreme nose of the body - is a seat for the bomber, who views the ground below and obtains his sights through a circular opening in the floor. On his right the bomber has a rack holding bombs; these are presumably not of a very heavy calibre. Under the centre of the body there is another bomb rack carrying the heavier projectiles. Near the inner ends of the lower plane there are fittings for an additional supply of bombs. The majority of the bombs, however, are not, so far as it is possible to ascertain, carried under the body and wings, but inside the body.
  In the centre cockpit there are two seats, side by side, occupied by two pilots, or presumably by two pilot-gunners, one relieving the other at the controls during a long flight. The two seats, although placed side by side, do not extend the whole width of the body, but are placed a little to the left of the centre line, leaving room on the right-hand side for a bomb rack holding about 10 or 12 bombs. Behind the pilot's cockpit is that of the gunner, who operates a machine-gun mounted on a turntable, which allows of firing the gun laterally as well as upwards and to the rear. On the left-hand side in the gunner's cockpit there is another bomb rack carrying a similar store of bombs to that in the pilot's cockpit. In the floor of the bay to the rear of the gunner's cockpit there is a trap door, hinged along its rear edge. By lifting up this trap door, which may be held in its open position by a, catch, the gunner is enabled to fire in a downward and rearward direction when being chased and attacked from behind. A small gun pivot mounted on the floor forms the support for the gun when firing through the trap door.
  The engines - which are generally of the 260 h.p. Mercedes type - are placed one on each side on the centre section of the lower plane. They are enclosed in engine housings, with the radiator mounted near the nose. The main petrol tank is not carried in the engine housings, but in the pilot's cockpit, where it forms, as a matter of fact, the support for the two seats. A service petrol tank is fitted in each engine housing, these service tanks being replenished from the main tank by means of a pump. The mounting of the engines on the lower plane centre section is somewhat unusual, and may be best understood by an examination of the scale drawings and general views. It should, of course, be studied in conjunction with the undercarriage, since much of the at first sight cumbersome and unnecessary strutting is dependent upon the design of the chassis. This, it will be seen, has been so designed that the outer wheel on each side occurs directly underneath the corresponding engine, while the inner wheel is supported on another Vee from the lower plane. The object is plainly to let the inner wheels take part of the load of the central fuselage, but the manner of carrying out the idea does not strike one as particularly ingenious. The weight of the body is during a landing primarily supported on the inner ends of the centre section of the bottom plane. Struts are taken, it is true, to the top longerons of the body from the point of attachment of the inner chassis strutts, but even so there is a considerable length of spar between this point and the sides of the body. Altogether the strutting of engines and undercarriages appears clumsy and complicated, and must, it would appear, present a great amount of head resistance. The two axles are slung from the apex of the Vees by coil springs, and not by rubber bands or cords. The speed is not known, but a rough estimate would appear to indicate as a reasonable figure about go m.p.h. The resistance appears to be excessive as regards certain portions, otherwise we should have estimated the speed to be slightly higher.


Flight, June 6, 1918.

REPORT ON A.E.G. BOMBER, G. 105.
[Issued by the Technical Dept. [Aircraft Production), Ministry of Munitions.]

  THIS machine was brought down by anti-aircraft fire at Achietle-Grand on December 23rd, 1917.
  On a label protected by celluloid, mounted on a tube in the nacelle, is the legend - "Abnahme am (Accepted on) November 10th, 1917."
  This machine, whilst carrying a similar power plant, is very different in construction from the Gotha type, which also embraces the Friedrichshafen Bomber reported on in I.C. 619.
  Whereas the latter is generally constructed of weed, ply wood being used to a very large extent throughout, in the A.E.G. steel is almost universally employed, not only in regard to the fuselage, nacelle, subsidiary surfaces and landing gear, but also in the wings themselves.
  Needless to say, acetylene welding is freely resorted to throughout the construction, which, however, appears to be far from light.
  On the whole, the A.E.G.-aeroplane, judged by contemporary British standards of design, is decidedly clumsy, not only in detail work, but also in appearance. The performance is poor.
  The leading particulars of the machine are as follows :-

Weight empty 5,258 lbs.
Total weight 7,130 lbs.
Arja of upper wings 395.2 sq ft.
Arja of lower wings 335.2 sq.ft.
Total area of wings 730.4 sq. ft.
Loading per sq. ft., wing sur. 9.77 lbs. per sq. ft.
Area of ailerons, each 17.9 sq. ft
Area of balance of aileron 1.8 sq.ft.
Area of tail plane 34.0 sq.ft.
Area of fin 11.5 sq. ft.
Area of rudder 20.8 sq. ft.
Balanced area of rudder 2.6 sq. ft.
Area of elevators 31.2 sq. ft,
Balanced area of elevators 3.6 sq. ft.
Horizontal area of body 206.4 sq. ft.
Vertical area of body 209.2 sq. ft.
Total weight per h.p. 13.7 lbs. approx.
Crew-Pilot and two passengers 540 lbs.
Armament 2 guns
Engines 2 260 h.p. Mercedes.
Petrol capacity 123 galls. = 861 lbs.
Oil capacity 11 galls. = 110 lbs.
Water capacity 13 galls. = 130 lbs.

  Other dimensions are also shown on the drawings on page 612.

Performance.
  (a) Climb, 5,000 ft. in 10.3 minutes. - Rate of climb at 5,000ft. - 390 ft. per minute. Climb, 9,000 ft. in 23.4minutes. Rate of climb at 9,000 ft. - 235 ft. per minute.
  (b) Speed at Heights. - Level to 5,000 ft. - 90 miles per hour approximately. At 9,000 ft. - 86 miles per hour approximately.
  (c) Landing Speed. - The aeroplane is best landed at a speed between 75 and 80 miles an hour; after flattening out it sinks to the ground quickly and pulls up rapidly.
  (d) Control. - 1. Lateral - Good. 2. Elevators - Bad, especially when landing.
  NOTE. - It is stated that it is not advisable to fly this machine without a passenger in the front seat.

Construction.
  Wings.-As will be seen from the scale drawings, the wings are of characteristic form. The central portion consists of a rectangular centre cell permanently attached to the fuselage. The lower wings support the engines. In this centre cell the planes are set horizontally. At each side of it the lower main planes are swept upwards with a vertical dihedral of 2.75°, the top planes being kept flat, and both main planes are swept backwards in the horizontal plane to an angle of 4° for the bottom plane and 3° for the top plane. As, the central portion of the upper main plane has 4 ins. of negative stagger relative to the bottom plane, this difference in angle brings their tips practically vertically over one another. The angle of incidence attains a maximum of 4° at the base of the engine struts, i.e., 7 ft. 10 3/8 ins. from the centre. At the second strut the angle is 3 1/2°, and at the end strut 2 1/2°. These angles are painted in circles on the surface of the planes, evidently for the convenience of riggers. The camber of both planes is washed out gradually towards the tips, and a representative section of the main planes taken at the junction of the engine bearer struts is given in Fig. 1. For purposes of reference the R.A.F. 14 section is superimposed. This figure also shows the position of the main spars, which are of steel tube. These are 50 mm. in outside diameter, but their wall thickness is not at present known. In order to allow the thinning down of the wing section, these tubes are flattened out towards the extremity of the wing. They are chamfered down to a narrow end and a fiat plate acetylene welded on to each side; thus at the spar tip the section is roughly rectangular. The main spars are kept parallel throughout the whole of their length, and are attached to the central cell by means of pin joints, similar to those on the Friedrichshafen. The ribs are of solid wood and are constructed as shown in Fig. 2. It is rather notable in comparison with other German machines of all types that ply wood is almost entirely absent. In the A.E.G. construction the rib webs are perforated and strengthened by wooden uprights at intervals and are glued into a grooved flange. The ribs are placed 300 mm. - 325 mm. apart and are not directly or firmly attached to the spars on which they are a relatively loose fit. Passing through the ribs of the bottom plane and extending from their junction with the centre section to the extreme outside strut are two steel tubes, approximately 17 mm. in diameter, which act as housings for the aileron control wires. These tubes are very strong, and it is thought possible that they are also counted upon to lend rigidity to the wing structure. The leading edge, which is of the usual semi-circular section, acts as a distance piece, as also does the wire trailing edge. Thirteen inches in front of the last named is a stringer formed of a steel rod. Apart from this, the spars are the only longitudinal members of the wings. Between the main ribs are false ribs running from the leading edge to a point a few inches behind the leading spar and applying only to the upper surface. One of these false ribs is sketched in Fig. 3. It is secured as shown in the sketch by means of a semi-circular saddle and a wrapping of tape which passes as shown through holes in the rib. Where it meets the leading edge it is furnished with triangular packing pieces, which locate and hold it in position. The lower plane is covered as to its upper surface with sheet metal immediately under the engines, whilst between them and the fuselage is fixed a strip of corrugated aluminium which acts as a footway. The fabric is attached in the usual manner, and is stitched to the ribs both top and bottom. The two surfaces are stitched together behind the metal rod, which acts as a stringer, and by this means the actual trailing edge wire is relieved of a certain amount of tension. The wing structure is internally braced by means of steel tubular cross-pieces and stranded cables. A single fitting is employed for the attachment of the interplane struts and for that of the bracing tubes. This fitting is shown in Fig. 4. It is a tight fit on the spar, to which it is fixed by a bolt, and is formed with an extension lug which acts, as shown, as an anchorage for the bracing tube, whilst a sideways extension of the same lug carries an eye for the bracing wire. It is provided with a cup-shaped upper extension, into which there is screwed a steel dome which carries the ball of the strut socket fitting and also acts as a wiring plate for the interplane bracing wires. As shown in the sketch, the fabric is run into the space between the upper and lower flanges of this fitting, the whole making a very neat job.

Struts.
  These are of streamline section steel tube and of uniform dimensions throughout. The section is 92 mm. long by 48 mm. broad. The ends are sharply tapered down, and into them is welded a cupped ferrule which drops on to the ball shown in sketch Fig. 4, and is there held in position by a cotter pin. The attachment is shown complete in Fig. 5. This joint gives a considerable range of lateral freedom, as is the usual practice on machines of German design.

Fuselage.
  The whole of the fuselage is built up of steel tubes welded together. It is of plain rectangular section, and the cross tubes are attached directly to the main booms without the intervention of any clips. This detail of construction is shown in Fig. 6, which also illustrates the single and double lugs which are used for the purpose of securing the bracing wires. Under the nacelle and in the neighbourhood of the main petrol tanks and the bomb racks the fuselage is reinforced with thin tubular steel tie-rods. Fig. 7 shows the manner in which the upper booms of the fuselage are provided with sockets for the inclined struts of the central cell. The fitting consists of two circular steel plates welded into position to form an integral part of the frame joint, the front one of these flanges being provided with lugs for the anchorage of bracing cables. The inclined struts are secured by a ring>of short set screws wired together as shown. If appearances are to be trusted, this form of attachment, whilst being strong and convenient, is excessively heavy. Unlike the practice which is pursued in the Friedrichshafen Bomber, wherein the- main frame consists of three separate sections, that of the A.E.G. is in one piece from stem to stern. The longerons are 30 mm. in diameter and the transverse members 30 mm., these dimensions being retained up to the extreme tail end. The nose part of the frame is covered-in with three-ply wood, but behind this a double covering of fabric is used, under which the tubular construction is completely hidden. Behind the after cockpit a single covering only is adopted and laced the whole of its length so that it is removable in its entirety.

Engine Struts.
  These are of streamline steel tubing and embrace joints of a somewhat similar type to those used on the interplane struts; that is to say, a certain amount of free movement is provided. The mounting of the engines is clearly shown in the front and side elevations. In front there are four struts which converge to a joint on the leading spar, whilst at the rear there are two struts which meet at a joint on the trailing spar. The attachment of the former is shown in Fig. 8. The bell-shaped housing attached to a cup on the spar joint contains a ball-end set screw which screws into the foot of the four struts which are here united by welding. The inclined transverse struts are taken from the spars to the engine mounting and cross struts from thence again to the upper booms of the fuselage. In order to provide simplicity of erection these subsidiary struts are provided with a means of adjustment as shown in Fig. 9. At one end they terminate in a ball-ended set screw screwed into the tapered end of the strut and secured by a lock nut.

Engine Mounting.
  The engine bearers are of steel rectangular section, measuring 40 mm. high by 30 mm. broad, with a wall thickness of approximately 2 mm. These bearers are welded to the struts which support them, as shown in Fig. 10, and for the greater part of their length are reinforced by a system of tubular tie-reds also welded in position. Box attachments welded to the engine bearers, as shown in Fig. 11, are provided for the crank-chamber holding-down bolts. The engine is not directly mounted on the steel bearers, but upon 1/2-in. wooden washers. Owing to the deformation inseparable from so much welding the engine mounting is of very clumsy appearance, and, in act, the quality of welding does not appear to be up to previous German standards, but the construction would appear to be light.

Engine Fairing.
  As shown in the photographs, the engines are almost completely enclosed in a fairing composed of detachable aluminium panels. The necessary framework and clips are provided for panels totally enclosing the engine, but it would seem that this bonnet right over the heads of the cylinders has been discarded. The tubular framework which supports the panels is an elaborate piece of work comprising a multiplicity of welded joints. It consists of 16 mm. tubes, to which are attached lugs for carrying the necessary turn-buttons. The framework is made in two halves so as to be easily detachable, and a joint for that purpose is made, as shown in the sketch Fig. 12. It will be noticed that a narrow slot for the exit of air passing over the engine is provided at the rear end of the engine egg, an opening of somewhat similar dimensions being between the two halves of the radiator.

Engines.
  The engines are the standard 6-cylinder 260 h.p. Mercedes. These engines have already been fully described, and no important novel points are adopted. A new shape has been adopted for the exhaust pipe, and this is clearly shown in one of the photographs - an inverted cone is placed in the belled mouth of the pipe. The usual water pump greaser is fitted and worked by a lever in the pilot's cockpit. It is of rather less clumsy design than that of the Friedrichshafen, but employs the same principle. The throttle is interconnected with the ignition advance as described in the Friedrichshafen report. A small fitting, the purpose of which is not very clear, is attached to the carburettor, and consists, as shown in Fig. 13, of a bell-shaped cover over the top of the float chamber, not directly connected thereto, but supported on a bracket clipped to the main water pipe. The bell is free to slide up and down the stem of the bracket, on which it is a very loose fit, but is prevented from falling over the float chamber by a small washer. It is conjectured that this fitting may have for its purpose the prevention of petrol having access to the hot exhaust pipe in the event of the machine turning over. Between the bell and the float chamber is a clearance of about 1/4 inch.

Petrol System.
  The petrol system employed on the A.E.G. is as set out diagrammatically in Fig. 14. There are two main tanks, each of 270 litres = 95 gallons total capacity, and these are placed tinder the pilot's seat in the main cockpit. Two subsidiary tanks used solely for starting purposes and giving a gravity supply are mounted in the centre section of the top main plane and are of roughly streamline form. Beneath them is a small cowling containing their level gauges, which are visible from the pilot's seat. On the right hand side of the main cockpit is fitted a hand-operated wing pump, the object of which is to draw petrol from either of the main tanks and direct it to the gravity tanks. Pipes from all four tanks are taken to a distributing manifold on the dashboard, and by means of seven taps thereon the supply of petrol can be directed from any one of the tanks to either engine or both. Two additional taps are provided on the wing pump so that the fuel for the gravity supply can be drawn from either main tank as required. The photograph A clearly shows the arrangement of the petrol taps, which are of the plain plug type. It would appear that the troubles associated with this form of tap have been overcome, as they show no signs of leaking or sticking. The level of the main tanks is indicated on the dashboard by two Maximall gauges. Those attached to the gravity tanks are made by Laufer, and employ the static head principle. They read up to 45 litres each, from zero to this figure being given by one and a half complete revolutions of the indicating hand.

Petrol Pressure System.
  The sketch, Fig. 14, also shows in solid lines the arrangement of the petrol pressure system. The usual pressure pump is mounted on each engine, and pipes therefrom are led to a manifold mounted on the dashboard. This is also connected to a large hand pump on the right hand side of the pilot's seat. Gauges reading the pressure from each engine pump are provided, and there is also a blow-off tap for relieving the pressure of the whole system.

Oil System.
  This is the usual system as fitted to all 260 h.p. Mercedes engines. The main supply of oil is carried in the crank chamber sump and is continually being refreshed by a small additional supply of fresh oil drawn from an external tank. This tank has a capacity of 5 gallons, is of rectangular shape, and is mounted at the side of the engine nearest to the fuselage. It is provided with a visible glass level, over which is a celluloid covered window let into the engine fairing, so that the oil level is visible from the pilot's seat.

Radiator.
  Each radiator is composed of two halves bolted together, as shown in the sketch Fig. 15, which is to scale. The space between the two halves is partially covered with a sheet metal panel pierced with a hole 1 ft. 6 ins. high by 4 ins. wide. The radiator is not actually honeycomb, though representing that appearance. It consists of a series of vertical tubes with transverse gills. Each radiator cell measures 2 ft. 3 1/2 ins. high by 7 1/2 ins. wide, and has a uniform depth of 4 ins. Each complete radiator is provided with two shutters of roughly streamline section. These, when fully closed, cover over about one-third of the radiating surface.
  They are controlled from the pilot's seat by two levers shown in Fig. 16, which work them through universally jointed rods. The articulation in these rods is very neat and of the form shown in sketch Fig. 17. Each radiator is fitted with an electric thermometer, full details of which device have been published. The dial of this instrument is carried on the dashboard and is furnished with a switch enabling the temperature of either radiator to be independently read.

Engine Control.
  The throttle levers are of the plain twin variety, and are constructed as indicated in sketch Fig. 18. They are placed close together so as to be easily worked either in unison or separately. The connections between the levers and the carburettor are made as simple as possible, and the levers operate the throttle through a couple of universally jointed rods which extend from each side of the body to the engine eggs. The universal joints used are of the type shown in Fig. 19, there being apparently no particular desire on the part of the designer to economise weight in these details.

  (To be continued.)


Flight, June 13, 1918.

THE A.E.G. BOMBER, G. 105.

[Issued by the Technical Dept. (Aircraft Production), Ministry of Munitions.]
(Concluded from page 616.)

Tail Planes.
  THE fixed horizontal tail planes are notable for their extremely bold curvature, both top and bottom. The framework consists entirely of welded steel tubing. The leading edge of the tail plane is mounted so as to be adjustable in case of necessity, a simple bracket being used for this purpose, as illustrated in Fig. 20. This is welded on to the fuselage upright at each side and strengthened with a transverse stay. It allows the tail plane leading edge to be fixed in one of three positions. The trailing edge of the tail plane is supported each side by a streamline section steel tubular strut.

Fin.
  The fin, like the fixed tail plane, has also a very strongly marked streamline section at the base tapering off to flat at the top, where it abuts against the balanced portion of the rudder. At this point its framework, which is of light steel tube, is made rigid by a couple of tubular stays bracing the rudder post to the sides of the fuselage.

Rudder and Elevators.
  These organs are built up of steel tubular framework, and present no points of special interest, except that in the case of the rudder that part which is above the fixed fin is made of grooved section.

Ailerons.
  As may be seen from the plan view of the complete machine, the shape of the ailerons is somewhat unusual. These are applied to the top plane only and have a chord which reaches its maximum at their extreme ends and its minimum in the centre of their length. For what purpose this peculiar shape is adopted is not clear. The framework of these ailerons is welded steel tubing, and the control crank is fitted in such a way as to lie partially hidden in a slot in the main plane. This crank is built up of welded sheet steel, and is arranged as shown in the sketch. Fig. 21, an elliptical hole being cut in the trailing edge of the main plane for the passage of the forward wire.

Control.
  The main control consists of a wheel mounted on a pivoted lever, the wheel operating the ailerons by means of a drum and cables, which pass direct over pulleys and along tubes running parallel with the wing spars and then over inclined pulleys up to the aileron cranks. The wheel column is pivoted to a long crossbar extending the whole length of the fuselage and carrying at each end cranks for the elevator control wires which at intervals are carried through fibre guides socketted to the frame. The cranks of the elevators are concealed inside the rear end of the fuselage, whilst those of the rudder (which is fitted with duplicate cranks and wires) are external. A modified dual control is fitted, which allows the assistant pilot to work the elevator and rudder only. For this purpose a socket is mounted on the pivot bar into which can be inserted a plain steel tube which is normally carried in clips behind the pilot's back. A second rudder bar, the design of which is shown in Fig. 22, is carried under the dashboard, and can readily be dropped into position into a square socket partially sunk into the floor of the cockpit and connected to the pilot's rudder bar by cranks and a link.

Personnel
  Seats are provided for a crew of four, who are carried as follows :- One in the front cockpit; one in the pilot's seat; one at the pilot's side; one in the rear cockpit.
  All can, if necessary, change places whilst the machine is in the air. Between the front cockpit and that of the pilot a sliding panel is provided through which the gunner can crawl. The seat at the side of the pilot folds up and slides back into a cavity under the coaming of the nacelle, and when in this position allows access down a narrow and inclined passage-way to the rear cockpit. The machine can hardly have been designed to satisfy the requirements of the average pilot in regard to view, as from the pilot's seat it is very difficult to see the ground properly on account of the position of the lower main plane and the width of the fuselage.

Armament.
  Two Parabellum guns are mounted, one in the front cockpit, and one in the rear, and provision is made for mounting a third or for transferring one of the others on the floor of the rear cockpit, so that it can fire backwards and under the tail of the machine. For this purpose a large trap door, which is visible in the photograph B, is provided in the floor of the fuselage behind the rear cockpit. This trap door has celluloid windows and is normally kept closed by springs. It is lifted up by a small hand winch fitted with a ratchet. It is of passing interest to note that whereas in the Friedrichshafen a similar trap door was kept open by means of springs, in the A.E.G. springs are used to keep the door closed. In the front cockpit the gun is supported on a carriage which runs round a partially circular rail which is strongly supported from the fuselage by a framework of steel tubes. Forming part of this frame is an inclined steel tubular column, the base of which is fitted in a swivel bearing in the floor of the cockpit, and on this is mounted an adjustable seat for the gunner. A toothed rack runs round the rail and engages with a spur pinion driven by a hand wheel so that the gunner, when occupying his seat, swivels himself round as well as the gun. This gun mounting is shown in photograph C, and a diagrammatic section of the carriage is given in Fig. 23. The vertical swivel of the fork-ended gun carrier is locked by a ball-ended lever and a similar lever is employed for locking the carriage itself to its rail.
  This action is accomplished by a cam device which depresses the roller of the carriage and squeezes the rail section between the roller and an adjustable set screw which normally just clears the groove on the under side of the rail. In order to prevent the forward gunner from shooting the tractor screws, preventative shields of light steel tube are carried between the upper edge of the forward cockpit and the inclined struts of the centre section. These impose a limit to the travel of the gun. In the rear cockpit the gun mounting is U-shaped in plan form, and here again the principle of a carriage running on a rail and driven by a spur gear meshing with a toothed rack is employed, though in this case the gunner's seat does not revolve with the gun. The carriage is of a somewhat similar type to that used in the front cockpit, but the method of locking it is different. This is shown diagrammatically in Fig. 24. The rail is provided with grooves both above and below, there being two rollers at the top and one underneath. Normally, when the gun carriage is free, the latter is clear of the rail, but when the locking mechanism is brought into action it is forced upwards so that the rail is gripped between the rollers, thus avoiding any possibility of shake at this point, and at the same time a positive lock is obtained on a second rail carried below the first. When the ball-ended hand lever is tightened, its effect is to squeeze the lower rail between two jaws. The movable jaw is, however, connected up by a link to a small cam, the base of which abuts against the foot of a fork-ended rod which carries the lower roller and is free to move up and down in a guide, to the base of which the cam is pivotted. By this means a very secure and rapid locking device is obtained. In the front of the rear cockpit a locker is provided which would be capable of holding ammunition, and beneath this a series of racks of the type shown in Fig. 25. These racks are not strong enough to hold anything very heavy, and are placed approximately 5 ins. apart. Their exact purpose is not known.

Bombing Gear.
  Three racks for holding twenty-five pounder bombs are installed on the machine: two side by side on the left side of the rear cockpit, and one on the right side of the petrol tanks in the space between the pilot's and rear cockpits. This rack is covered by a detachable wooden lid which acts as the floor of the narrow gangway mentioned above. Underneath the centre of nacelle provision is made for carrying two or more large bomb racks, which, however, were not in use on this machine. Underneath the lower main plane, two at each side of the nacelle, are fixed bomb clips which are capable of supporting bombs roughly 8 inches in diameter. They are held in position by a belly-band consisting of two steel strips, clearly shown in the photograph B. Eleven and a half inches in front of this clip is a bracket suitable for a circular section of 4 inches in diameter, and 13 1/2 inches in the rear of the clip is a second bracket suitable for a 5-ins. diameter section. The bomb would thus appear to be 50 kgs. In the photograph the belly-bands are shown clipped out of the way. At their fixed end they are supported on a crosshead, a sketch of which is given in Fig. 26. This in turn is carried on a bracket clipped to a steel tube running parallel to the wing spars and braced thereto by tubular steel girders. The cross head is free to swivel on the bracket against the action of a coiled spring which, when the bomb has been released, twists the crosshead round against a stop, so that the belly-band is forcibly swung round and now faces the direction of flight instead of lying edgewise on to it. The ends of the steel strips are swivelled on the crosshead, and here again coil springs are used, so that the tendency is for the belly-band to be held flat against the lower surface of the bottom main plane, and out of the way of the other clip.
  When the bombs are in position, the rings which are fitted on the free end of the belly-band are caught between the jaws of a trigger mechanism, illustrated diagrammatically in Fig. 27. This device is carried on the same tube which supports the crossheads, as already mentioned. Lying parallel to this tube and between it and the leading spar is a control rod fitted with two levers which are connected respectively to the two bomb trip gears, and this rod is operated by a quadrant lever mounted in the front cockpit. In order to allow one trip gear to be worked at a time, the link of the outer trip is provided with a slot where it is pivotted to the trigger release. On working the lever in the cockpit, therefore, its first action up to half way over the quadrant is to release the bomb nearest the nacelle, whilst a further movement releases the outer bomb. An exactly similar method is employed for operating the bombs carried underneath the other wing. The levers in the front cockpit are all mounted on a common bracket built up of steel tubes, and are arranged as follows :- First, there are the two levers which control the two bomb magazines in the rear cockpit. These are provided with thimbles and chains, so that they cannot be operated accidentally. Next, a single lever which controls the larger bomb clips on the right wing. These are capable of being secured by split pins inserted in their quadrants. Next, there is a lever which in this particular machine was furnished with no action at all, but is evidently designed for manipulating the large bomb-carriers when these are installed. Behind it are, first, a single lever for the left hand outer bomb clips, and, finally, the lever for working the bomb magazine on the right hand side of the nacelle.

Landing Gear.
  The landing gear of the A.E.G. bomber is simply an elaboration of that which has become practically a standard fitting on single and two-seaters, except that in this machine the gear is in duplicate. It consists of two axles carrying two wheels a-piece, and suspended from pairs of V struts. One pair is connected to the spars of the centre section immediately underneath the engine strut sockets, and the other to the spars midway between this point and the fuselage and at the same point from which diagonal struts are taken from the spars to the engine mounting and nacelle. This, together with the wire bracing of the landing gear struts provides a completely triangulated construction. The struts are, however, connected by ball joints similar to those used with the engine struts, so that in case of strain a certain amount of free movement can take place. The pairs of V struts carry at their foot a hollow steel crossbar having the section of a trough, and in this lies the axle which connects the two wheels. As shown in the sketch Fig. 28 and in the photograph D, the fixed beam has forward and rearward extensions, at each end of which are anchored the ends of the batteries of coil springs which act as shock absorbers, and at their other ends are hooked to a horn plate on the wheel axle. Each battery of springs, of which there are four to each axle, consists of 18 springs. A yoke of stranded steel cable restricts the movement of the axle beyond a certain limit. The tyres are 32 ins. x 6 ins. - 810 x 150. A tail skid of massive proportions is used. This is of the shape shown in photograph E, and is built up entirely of welded steel. The springs against which it works are concealed inside the tail end of the fuselage.

Wireless.
  The machine is internally wired for wireless, and a special dynamo for supplying current for this purpose and also for heating is installed on the right hand engine. This dynamo bears the following inscription :-

Telefonken;
J. P. Flieg. C 1916. Type D.
Alternating current 270 watts. 5 ampAres. 600 frequency.
Continuous current 50 volts. 4 amperes, r.p.m. 4,500.

  The dynamo is mounted on brackets acetylene-welded to the steel engine bearers, and is normally completely enclosed in a detachable fairing. Its position is clearly shown in photograph F. The dynamo drive embraces the pulley which is a standard fitting on the 260 h.p. Mercedes, but in this particular case the clutch gear whereby the driving pulley can be disconnected from the engine as required appears to have been discarded. Two sets of wires are taken from the dynamo inside flexible metal conduits to a pair of plugs situated at the junction of the fuselage and the right hand lower main plane. Here they terminate in plug sockets, so designed that the plugs cannot be inserted wrongly. One of these wiring circuits applies to the heating system, and wires for this purpose are carried to points in all three cockpits, whilst the other circuit is for wireless and terminates in a plug adapter in the rear cockpit. No wireless instruments were fitted. Two plug sockets for the heating installations are arranged in the rear cockpit; two in the pilot's cockpit and one for the forward gunner. A small plate on the pilot's dashboard carries the following inscription, but no definite information is given :-

F. T. Fitting. W/T Set.
Aeroplanes.
Type 94. NY 1125/16.
Fitting, No. 85A.
Driving propeller. Type. Direct coupling.
Length of aerial wires - - -
Telefunken transmitter.- - - metres.
Huth transmitter, - - - - metres.
D transmitter - - - metres.
G transmitter - - - metres.

  In addition to these two circuits, there is a lighting installation in conjunction with a battery carried in a box in the rear cockpit. From here, wires are taken to each cockpit and also to the tail and via the leading edge of the upper plane to the extreme outside strut of each wing. On these struts red and green lights are carried, the lamps for this purpose taking the form shown in. Fig. 29. Inspection, lights, are provided, at convenient points in each cockpit over the dashboard, instruments, &c.
  For the most part the lighting wiring is contained inside a light celluloid conduit.

Instruments.
  These comprise twin engine revolution counters, twin air pressure gauges for the petrol supply, electric thermometer, altimeter, petrol level gauges, &c. All of these are of recognized types and call for no detailed description.

Camouflage.
  This machine is camouflaged in six different colours, on a uniform system covering every portion. The colours are arranged in hexagons measuring roughly 18 ins. across the flats, and the colours are sage green, reddish mauve, bluish mauve, black, blue and grey. These colours are not flat washes, but are softened by being stippled and splashed with paint of a lighter tone. The effect gained is well shown in photograph G. Considerable care appears to have been taken with this camouflage scheme, which is presumably effective.

Fabric and Dope.
  The fabric throughout is of good quality, and the dope acetate of cellulose.

Propeller.
  Diameter 10 ft. 3.8 ins. + .20 in. Pitch 59.3 ins.
  The following table gives the thicknesses of the various laminae used in construction of the air-screw. The laminae are numbered from the trailing to the leading edge :-
   Thickness
No. Material in inches.
1 Walnut 0.73
2 Mahogany 0.80
3 Mahogany 0.80
4 Mahogany 0.80
5* Mahogany 0.80
6 Mahogany 0.80
7* Mahogany 0.40
8* Mahogany 0.40
9 Mahogany 0.80
10 Walnut 0.83
* These laminations were of a quite different kind of mahogany, probably African.

  Only one air screw has been seen and dimensioned. Thus it is unknown whether all air screws would have laminae of similar thicknesses and of similar timbers. There is no apparent reason why these laminae should be of different thicknesses. It is surmised that either the enemy is short of timber or that he has a highly scientific reason for so doing that we do not know. The port and starboard air screws rotate in opposite directions.

В.Кондратьев - Самолеты первой мировой войны
AEG G-IV (585/17), ВВС Германии, 1918г.
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A.E.G. G I (K I)
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
In mid-1915 Feldflieger Abteilung 42 received AEG G 7/15 and during the next six months this machine underwent various modifications to improve its use as a bomber. Here it already has an improved front gun position for the LMG 08, which is fed from the angular container on the right side of the gun; a canvas tube leading into a funnel on the other side collects the empty cartridge cases, thus preventing them from causing damage to the propellers. Note the completely uncowled 150hp six-cylinder Benz engines topped by massive radiators. The aircraft is seen on 12 September 1915 before taking off to attack Nancy and Luneville.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
The same aeroplane after major modifications made by the Armee Flug Park (Army Aviation Supply Depot) at Strassburg. A streamlined nose has been fitted and two outrigger rudders installed on the tailplane. Placing these in the propeller slipstreams gave better directional control and improved the aircraft's performance in the event of an engine failure. AEG were on the right track in this respect but reverted to single aerodynamically balanced rudders on the majority of their subsequent designs, only returning to the 'rudder in slipstream' concept after indepth evaluation some two years later proved its undoubted superiority.
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
AEG G-II
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A.E.G. G II
В.Кондратьев - Самолеты первой мировой войны
AEG G-II.
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A.E.G. G III
K.Delve - World War One in the Air /Crowood/
The AEG GIII was likewise only produced in small numbers and was operational by spring 1916. Among other users was Kaghol 1, which employed the type during their involvement on the Macedonian Front. The aircraft was powered by two 220hp Mercedes DIV engines, which gave it a very respectable 98mph (158kph) speed.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
A German Twin-engined Bomber. - It will be seen that at last the enemy has apparently been obliged to employ four-bladed airscrews. Hitherto there has been a marked tendency on the part of German constructors to stick to the two-bladed propeller. Also note in place the wire guards protecting against the propeller tips.
K.Delve - World War One in the Air /Crowood/
Two interesting views of the three-man AEG G III bomber that made its prototype debut in December 1916. Only built in small numbers, the twin 220hp Mercedes D IV powered machine carried a maximum bomb load of 770lb and had a top level speed of 103mph at sea level. Armed with two flexibly-mounted 7.92mm Parabellums, the G III was delivered to KG I during the spring of 1917. The image shows a newly arrived, pristine-looking G III being inspected by unit personnel.
В.Кондратьев - Самолеты первой мировой войны
AEG G-III на полевом аэродроме.
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A scene at a German bomber base in 1916. A.E.G. G IIIs being prepared for a raid on Allied territory.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
By mid-1916 crews of Feldflieger Abteilung 42 were experienced twin-engined fliers and received AEG G III 216/15 which was operated in conjunction with the Rumpler C I two-seaters of Kagohl II from Frescaty aerodrome at Metz. Despite damage to this interesting print, it shows the machine being refulled on 16 June 1916, and is one of a series showing preparation for a typical Kagohl operation. The front gunner (Vzfw. Schadt) is manning the wobble pump, while petrol is loaded into the fuselage tank. Note the twin LMG 14 armament, guns being fed via funnel-shaped chutes from fuselage cartridge magazines.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
As evening shadows lengthen, the crew don warm clothing for the night's operation that would result in bombs being dropped on Bar-le-Duc, Dombasle, Einville and Luneville, all military concentrations south and west of Verdun. The purpose of the big AEG's presence on this occasion was that of protection for the bombing two-seaters, a common Kagohl practice at the time.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
The touring car, a 30hp Benz 'Runabout', its bonnet marked with Kampfstaffel 7 OHL, about to pull the AEG to the take-off position by means of a wheeled towbar under the tailskid. It also provides transport for the aircrew, already attired in flying kit. The fuel containers and pump previously shown now lie abandoned in the foreground.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
The big AEG joins the Rumpler two-seaters ready for take-off. Twenty-five aircraft can be seen, and due to the varied nature of the evening's targets, seventeen machines have probably already departed, since Kagohl bombing operations invariably utilized the 6 Kampfstaffeln at full strength of 42 aeroplanes. Unserviceability of aircraft did not normally reduce this force as reserve machines were always available so that the planned weight of high-explosive could be delivered as planned.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
The equipping of three Kampfstaffeln of Kagohl I with the AEG G III, and the unit previously mentioned with Gotha G IIs and G IIIs in September 1916 for use in the Balkans, marked a major change in the development of the heavy bomber units. (From April 1917 Kasta 20 of Kagohl IV became Kasta 1.) Kagohl I was the first formation to be completely equipped with twin-engined aircraft of the G category for the sole purpose of bombing. It set the scene that would be adopted by the other Kagohl. By the end of February 1917 there were 22 AEG G IIIs at the Front, most of them serving in Macedonia. Shown here against a mountainous backdrop on Hudowa aerodrome are the seven AEG G IIIs of Kampfstaffel 5.
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
Returning to Frescaty in the dark, the big AEG overran the landing area, a not uncommon occurrence at the time when aerodrome illumination left much to be desired. The machine turned upside down in the rough, without injury to the aircrew, and this was the sorry sight the aircraft presented in the early morning of 17 June 1916.
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
The twin-engine A.E.G.
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - Three-quarter front view.
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - Three-quarter rear view.
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A.E.G. G IV (serial G 155/16).
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
The AEG GIV with the 260hp Mercedes DIVa entered service towards the end ol the year and continued in use until mid 1918. This example is a captured aircraft.
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Three-quarter Rear View of the A.E.G. G.IV Bomber. 1918 type.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
F. Three-quarter rear view of fuselage and engine mounting.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
J. Three-quarter front view of nacelle and engine egg.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Three-quarter Front View of the A.E.G. G.IV Bomber. 1918 type. (G.105)
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1919 /Jane's/
Side View of the A.E.G. G.IV Bomber. 1918 type.
В.Обухович, А.Никифоров - Самолеты Первой Мировой войны
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1919 /Jane's/
Front View of the A.E.G. G.IV Bomber. 1918 type.
В.Обухович, А.Никифоров - Самолеты Первой Мировой войны
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
E. Arrangement of tail.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
B. Underside of the nacelle showing bomb magazines and racks, also trap-door in rear cockpit.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
D. Undercarriage.
В.Обухович, А.Никифоров - Самолеты Первой Мировой войны
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
A.E.G. G IVb
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
AEG G-IVb
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
O.Thetford, P.Gray - German Aircraft of the First World War /Putnam/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
AEG G-IVk
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
A. Instrument board in pilot's cockpit.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
C. Front cockpit and gun mount.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
L. Gun mounting in rear cockpit.
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - The attachment of the outer to the central sections of the top plane.
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - Sketch of one of the ailerons, showing the operating crank.
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - The tubular fuselage construction.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 1. - Aerofoil section A.E.G. aeroplane.
Fig. 2.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 3. Fig. 4. Fig. 5.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 6. Fig. 7. Fig. 8. Fig. 9.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 10. Fig. 11. Fig. 12.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 13. Fig. 14. Fig. 15.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 16. Fig. 17. Fig. 18.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 19.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 20. Fig. 21. Fig. 22.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 23. Fig. 24. Fig. 25.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 26. Fig. 27.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
Fig. 28. Fig. 29.
Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
AEG Type G IV
A.Imrie - German Bombers /Arms & Armour/
AEG Type G IV
Журнал - Flight за 1917 г.
THE A.E.G. BOMBING BIPLANE. - Plan, front and side elevations to scale.
Журнал - Flight за 1918 г.
В.Кондратьев - Самолеты первой мировой войны
AEG G-IV