O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Otto Pusher Biplane
Although many machines were built by the Otto firm of Munich before the war, Gustav Otto was plagued by ill health and undertook little work after hostilities commenced, except to build some L.V.G.s under licence. The firm was liquidated late in 1916, and its assets were taken over by B.F.W.
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1913
OTTO. Gustav Otto, Flugmaschinenwerke, Schleissheimer Str. 135, Munich. Started building in 1911. Present max. capacity about 30 machines a year.
Area......sq. feet(m?.) ...
Motor..............h.p. 100 A. G. Otto.
max.....m.p.h.(km.) 69 (110)
Number built during 1912 6
Remarks.--All 1912 machines purchased for German Army.
Flight, August 14, 1914.
THE OTTO MILITARY BIPLANE.
THE Otto military biplane (type 1913), although somewhat on the lines of the Henry Farman military machines, actually differs from this type in many respects. First and foremost, it is constructed practically throughout of steel. Some considerable difference will also be found in the disposition of the engine and nacelle, the former being higher and the latter lower than obtains in Farman practice. Each of the main planes is built up on two spars, the front one of which is close to the leading edge, whilst the rear spar is placed some distance from the trailing edge. Both planes are given a slight dihedral angle and are attached to small, fixed, central pannels or sections. The upper plane has a greater span than the lower one, and large ailerons are fitted to the upper plane extensions only. Six pairs of steel struts separate the top and lower planes, and two pairs of triangular outriggers extend rearwards from the rear spars and carry the tail. The latter consists of a fixed stabilising plane, 3.2 sq. m. area, mounted on the top outriggers, and having two elevator flaps hinged to the trailing edge. Between the elevators is a vertical rudder hinged to the last strut joining the top and bottom outriggers. The nacelle, which is well streamlined, extends forward of, and below the lower plane, the pilot being seated in front with the passenger behind him; the front portion of the nacelle slopes upwards, forming a protection from the wind for the pilot. At the rear of the nacelle is a strong superstructure, carrying the engine high up, midway between the main planes. In front of the engine is the radiator, and above is the fuel tank. A portion of the trailing edges of the top and bottom planes is cut away to provide clearance for the propeller, which is 27 m. in diameter. The engine is a 6-cyl. 100 h.p. Argus, a type that has given very satisfactory results in Germany. The landing chassis is both strong and simple, consisting of two pairs of steel struts inclined outwards and forwards from the nacelle attached to two short skids, secured to which, by means of rubber shock-absorbers in the usual way, is a tubular steel axle carrying a pair of wheels. The control is of the usual Farman type, consisting of a central universally jointed lever actuating the ailerons by a side to side movement and the elevator by a to-and-fro movement; a horizontal foot-bar operates the rudder. The principal dimensions of this machine are :- Span, 14.8 m. (top), 9.5 m. (bottom); chord, 1.8 m.; supporting area, 40 sq. m.; overall length, 10.5 m.; speed, 110 k.p.h.
Flight, September 18, 1914.
AIRCRAFT "MADE IN GERMANY"
WHICH MAY BE EMPLOYED AGAINST THE ALLIES.
27. The Otto Biplane
is one of the comparatively few propeller biplanes in use in Germany. It is somewhat reminiscent of the Henry Farman biplane, the upper main plane being of considerably greater span than the lower one. The nacelle, however, is of quite a different type from that of the Henry Farman, both as regards its shape and position. The upper longerons of the nacelle are attached to the spars of the lower main plane, and both upper and lower longerons taper to a point in the nose, whilst gradually flattening out towards the rear. To the tips of the upper main planes are hinged ailerons which are of greater chord at their tip than at the root, in order, no doubt, to render them more effective. The engine - a 100 h.p. Mercedes - is mounted a considerable distance above the lower plane, and drives a propeller situated behind the main planes, the trailing edges of which have been cut away in the centre to provide the necessary clearing. The tail planes are carried on an outrigger of steel tubes, and consist of a fixed stabilising plane, hinged to the trailing edge of which is the divided elevator, and of a partly balanced rudder. It will be noticed that, as in the Henry Farman, no vertical tail fin is fitted.