В процессе производства W 12 был создан ряд различных модификаций этого самолета. Так, патрульный вариант W 19 с двигателем Майбах Mb.IV (260 л. с.) имел увеличенные размеры и запас топлива, что позволило в полтора раза увеличить продолжительность полета.
O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Brandenburg W 19
With the expansion and reorganisation of the German Naval flying services in 1917 it was decided to concentrate the fighter establishments mainly at Borkum and Zeebrugge and to use Norderney chiefly as a reconnaissance station. By the end of that year, after the Brandenburg W 12 had been in use some six months, the need was found for a two-seat fighter machine of greater duration, and to serve this requirement the Brandenburg W 19 began operations in January 1918.
Basically similar to the W 12, the W 19 was a considerably larger aircraft, spanning almost 10 ft. more and being about 3 ft. 6 in. greater in length. Increased fuel capacity gave it a greater radius of action. Although so much larger than the W 12, performance was not materially affected due to the installation of the more powerful 260 h.p. Maybach engine, which represented an increase of some 110 h.p. over the W 12. A neat spinner improved the nose-entry lines, and a frontal radiator was fitted adjacent to the centre-section leading edge. The remainder of the fuselage was like that of the W 12, maintaining the same proportions with the characteristic upward rake and plywood covering. The tail assembly differed little, apart from the profile of the tailplane, which was changed to a large semi-circular shape. The parallel-chord wings had their tips modified to a more bluntly rounded shape: the near semicircular centre-section cut-out was maintained. Due to the considerable increase in span, the wings were rigged with two sets of interplane struts and braced in all bays with stranded cables, although on certain aircraft bracing was omitted from the inboard bay to enable the gunner to shoot through the wings. Plain unbalanced ailerons were fitted at all four wingtips and connected with a link strut. The typical Brandenburg float chassis was retained, likewise the wooden floats with wedge bows and knife-edge stern.
In patrol work Brandenburg W 19s would often reconnoitre ahead while their W 12 colleagues waited upon the surface - when conditions were suitable - and would return to collect them should surface or airborne targets be sighted. Frequently one of the large twin-engined F 2a flying-boats patrolling from Felixstowe or Yarmouth would be sighted on the water, having been forced to alight with engine trouble, and would be attacked. During 1918, combats between these big boats and the fighters from Borkum and Zeebrugge became fairly commonplace.
On 4th June 1918 a patrol of live flying-boats made up of aircraft from both Felixstowe and Yarmouth (under command of Capt. Leckie of the latter station) set course for Borkum, and about 10 miles from Terschelling one boat had to alight with engine trouble. The now four-strong flight was soon attacked by some fifteen variously assorted Brandenburg W 12s, W 19s and W 29 monoplanes, and an exceedingly hot combat ensued. The living-boats, maintaining formation to concentrate their fire, managed to cut off three of the Brandenburgs and concentrate their attack upon these seaplanes, one soon succumbing to their fire, side slipping and spinning into the sea. In turn, one of the F 2as was forced down and eventually interned by a Dutch trawler; another boat had to alight with a broken petrol pipe, but after making a temporary repair was able to take off again. After losing another seaplane the Germans retired, and during the flight back to Borkum shot up the first F 2a, which had alighted with engine trouble before the combat took place. The crew of the surfaced flying-boat vigorously returned the fire and managed to bring down a Brandenburg, whereupon another alighted near by to rescue the crew. Shortage of petrol forced the enemy to withdraw, and the F 2a was able to resume taxi-ing towards Terschelling Island. However, when within only a few hundred yards of beaching, it was again attacked by a Brandenburg W 19 - No. 2239 - which at last managed to set it on fire. The crew of three nevertheless managed to get safely ashore.
That chivalry existed between opponents over the North Sea is evidenced by an incident in June 1918 when a Felixstowe boat commanded by Lt.-Col. Robertson was shot down by live seaplanes from Zeebrugge. Crash landing, the boat tore off its wings and turned turtle: eventually Robertson was able to clamber upon the upturned hull. One of the German seaplanes alighted and taxied alongside to tell Robertson that he was near the Allied coast and ask him if he wished to be taken back to Zeebrugge or take a chance on being picked up by an Allied machine or vessel. The doughty colonel elected to remain with his wreck, whereupon his victor took a photograph of him, waved a friendly adieu and flew back to Zeebrugge. However, not a few Allied aircrews owed their lives, after being forced to alight, to being picked up by German seaplanes.
Description: Two-seat fighting patrol seaplane (long range).
Manufacturer: Hansa und Brandenburgische Flugzeug-Werke G.m.b.H.
Power Plant: One 260 h.p. Maybach Mb IV 6 cylinder in-line water-cooled engine.
Dimensions: Span, 13.80 m. (45 ft. 3 3/8 in.) Length, 10.65 m. (34 ft. 11 3/8 in.). Height, 4.10 m. (13 ft. 5 1/2 in.). Area, 57.8 sq.m. (624.25 sq.ft.).
Weights: Empty, 1,435 kg. (3,157 lb.). Loaded, 2,005 kg. (4,411 lb.).
Performance: Maximum speed, 150.5 km.hr. (94 m.p.h.). Climb, 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 6.4 min.; 2,000 m. (6,560 ft.) in 18 9 min.; 3,000 m. (9,840 ft.) in 230 min. Endurance, ca. 5 hr.
Armament: First three aircraft had one fixed Spandau machine-gun forward and one manually operated Parabellum machine-gun in rear cockpit. All remaining aircraft fitted twin Spandaus forward.
Serial Numbers: Fifty-five aircraft delivered. Marine numbers 1469-1471, 2207-2216, 2237 fitted experimentally with cannon armament, 2238-2257, 2259-2278, 2537.
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
BRANDENBURG W 19 Germany
An enlarged W 12 developed to meet a demand for a two-seat fighter seaplane with greater endurance, the W19 was first committed to operations in January 1918. Appreciably larger than the W12, the W19 was of similar construction with fabric-covered wings and plywood-covered fuselage and floats, and was powered by a 260 hp Maybach Mb IVa six-cylinder water-cooled engine. The substantial increase in span necessitated the adoption of a two-bay arrangement, and, apart from the three prototypes, all W 19s carried an armament of two 7,92-mm LMG 08/15 synchronised machine guns and a single Parabellum of similar calibre on a flexible mount in the rear cockpit. One W19 was experimentally fitted with a 20-mm Becker cannon for trials. A total of 53 production W 19s was completed (one being retained for static tests).
Max speed, 93 mph (150 km/h).
Time to 3,280 ft (1 000 m), 6.4 min, to 6,560 ft (2 000 m), 18.9 min.
Empty weight, 3,164 lb (1435 kg).
Loaded weight, 4,420 lb (2 005 kg). Span, 45 ft 3 1/3 in (13,80 m).
Length, 34 ft 11 1/4 in (10,65 m).
Height, 13 ft 5 3/8 in (4,10 m).
Wing area, 622.17 sq ft (57,8 m2).