L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
In the same year 2 powered aeroplanes appeared under Chauviere's name, a monoplane, probably designed by one of the Saulniers, and a biplane designed by the Spaniard Sylvio de Penteado. The first had a long uncovered box fuselage with a single motor far forward driving through a long shaft and chains 2 4-blade pusher propellers turning at only 800 rpm; they were mounted on outriggers at either side of the rear fuselage. 4 struts forward supported the broad parasol wing which had pointed wingtips.
(Span: 9 m; length: 8.5 m; wing area: c 20 m; empty weight: 430 kg)
De Penteado patented an aeroplane with "variable lift-power" in 1909, and had Chauviere build it. It resembled a biplane Demoiselle, with the wings sharply staggered: the forward tip of the lower wing met the trailing edge tip of the upper wing at joints made like propeller hubs, Chauviere's specialty! The lower wing warped for control. The pilot sat low in the openwork triangular fuselage frame, and the tractor engine was mounted just under the top wing.
It was claimed to have flown first on 16 December 1909, "flopping about" on each take-off attempt. Some references describe de Penteado as having had a second machine built at the same time.
(Span: 6.5 m; length: 8 m; wing area: c 22 sqm; empty weight: 320 kg; 24 hp 7-cylinder REP)
Flight, October 16, 1909
AEROPLANES AT THE PARIS SALON (FIRST INSTALMENT).
Modified form of biplane so constructed that the two decks converge at the extremities. They are further so arranged that at the junction it is the trailing edge of the upper deck which connects with the leading edge of the lower deck; that is to say, the upper deck, instead of being directly over the lower deck, is a full chord in advance. The purpose served by this arrangement is not clear. In the centre there is a gap approximately equal to the chord, but towards the extremities it seems decks become more and more in tandem, and there is no evidence of any difference in the angle of incidence of the lower deck which would afford a compensating factor. It can hardly be said either that the system simplifies the construction to any appreciable extent, as might be supposed would be one of the objects in connecting the two decks in this way.
Provision is made for warping the lower deck; at the rear is a tail comprising a rudder and an elevator. The engine, a 5-cyl. R.E.P., is in front and drives a tractor screw.