L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
XXV: Planned as a 2-seat naval machine with the observer seated forward, it was designed to float on the water in an emergency. But it was built in August 1911 as a single-seater, similar to the 1907 canard, and presumably, not much more successful. The wings carried drooping ailerons and small rudder surfaces mounted above the tips; a single elevator was set into the nose, and the wheels were fixed to a single U-shaped spring leg, similar to the early Nieuports.
(Span: 8.9 m; length: 5.5 m; wing area: 12 sqm; weight: 400 kg; 50 hp Gnome mounted aft of the pusher propeller)
XXVI: Another canard, the XXVI was built in September 1911 but apparently not flown. It was a triplane, with short rectangular wings; several short skids under the lower wing supported the rear, and a single wheel forward carried the front: this wheel was designed to retract back up into the fuselage in front of the pilot. The engine was again mounted aft of the pusher propeller.
Flight, September 30, 1911.
NEW BLERIOT "CANARD."
As we mentioned in a recent issue, the report that Bleriot has again been turning his attention to the production of a monoplane of a tail-first type is no canard, and we reproduce herewith photographs taken of this interesting machine at Hardelot, near Boulogne, where the machine is now undergoing tests. The landing carriage is an absolute departure from orthodox Bleriot design, and, together with the peculiar steel construction which comprises the tail skid and serves as a bridge to which the wings are braced, seems to indicate the effect of the Nieuport on current practice. Steering to the right and left is effected by miniature rudders, mounted vertically at the ends of the wings, and lateral balance is maintained by ailerons which present a slightly convex surface on the underside. One notable feature of the design is its shortness of overall length, being only 5.50 metres from tip of elevator to propeller. The wings span 8.90 metres, and have a carrying surface of 12 sq. metres. A 50-h.p. Gnome engine, direct coupled to an Integrale propeller, supplies the propulsive effort. Its weight is 400 kilogs.
In one of the views the rear disposition of the Bleriot "Canard" is clearly seen, as also the manner in which the engine is mounted. The oil system inspection glasses seem to have been mounted in rather a unique position, one calling for acrobatic contortion on the part of the pilot, should he wish to acquaint himself with the way his oil pump is working.