M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
EGGLETON gliders (R.H. Eggleton, 24 Cranbury Rd., Eastleigh, Hampshire. Flying at North End, Eastleigh)
No.3 was a biplane of unequal span, rather like a Caudron, with a small nacelle on the lower wing. No rudder was fitted and control was achieved with wings and elevators which could be warped. A wheeled undercarriage was fitted. This machine was the subject of a note and illustrations in Flight 18 October 1913 (p. 1144).
Few details of any of the other gliders remain, except that the last had a span of 31ft 6in and was 24ft long. Activities were terminated by the outbreak of war.
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
R. H. Eggleton, an apprentice at the London and South-Western Railway Carriage Works at Eastleigh. Hants., built three gliders during 1911, 1912 and 1913.
The third glider was a biplane with a small nacelle for the pilot and was flown successfully during 1913 (illustrated).
Flight, October 18, 1913.
THE EGGLETON GLIDER.
THE accompanying photographs illustrate a glider which has been built by Mr. K. H. Eggleton, of Eastleigh, Hants, and with which, we understand, numerous successful glides have been made.
It will be noticed that the glider somewhat resembles the well-known Caudron biplane, especially with regard to the arrangement of the nacelle, tail booms and tail plane. The wings are quite different from those of the Caudron both in section and construction, having been designed by Mr. Eggleton himself. The camber, it will be observed, is very pronounced, in order, no doubt, to get sufficient lift at the slower speed at which the glider flies. The main planes, the chassis and the tail booms each form separate units, of which that of the tail booms is made detachable in order to facilitate storage in the hangar, which has a doorway only ten feet wide.
An inspection of the accompanying photos will reveal the fact that no rudder is fitted, as it has been found that steering can be effected by means of the elevator, which is warped in conjunction with the main planes in a similar manner to that employed for carrying out this operation in the Caudron machines. A centrally pivotted vertical lever in front of the pilot, by a side to side movement, operates the warp, while a to-and-fro motion o the lever controls the elevator, which is of the flexing type.
Four tension springs secure the axle to the skids of the chassis, and thus act as shock absorbers instead of the rubber lings usually employed for that purpose. .
Over one hundred flights have been made, we learn, with this glider, several of which were free flights, but in the majority of cases the glider was towed by Mr. Eggleton's assistants, as it was found difficult to secure the use of a hill providing a suitable gradient.