M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
PERRY, BEADLE flying boat type B.3
This biplane flying boat appeared for the first time at Olympia, incomplete, in March 1914, where it received praise for the quality of its workmanship. Much of this was the work of S.E. Saunders Ltd. of Cowes, who had designed the hull shape, and built it using the patented 'Consuta' system of copper wire sewn plywood. The lower wing was surfaced with 'Consuta' also and was made buoyant. The fin and tailplane were integral with the hull. The use of the lower wings as sponsons was covered by patent No.4634/1914.
The engine was mounted in the nose under a detachable cowling and drove, by means of an extension shaft and chains, the twin tractor propellers. These were mounted in streamlined housings and were supported between the planes by the intermediate interplane struts and bracing wires. Behind this, a single open cockpit, in the rounded top decking, housed the passenger in front and the pilot behind. The radiator was fitted high up across the inboard interplane struts.
The top wing carried inset ailerons in the overhanging portion. The other control surfaces consisted of a divided elevator and a rudder, the lower portion of which was immersed when the machine was at rest, to serve as a water rudder. The immersed tail surfaces were also covered with 'Consuta' ply.
After the Aero Show the machine was assembled in Saunders' Columbine Works and, soon after, the visiting impressment officer recorded it as a potential machine for Service use, by which time the ENV engine had been replaced by a 90hp Curtiss. The extent of the testing carried out at Cowes is not clear, but in August the machine was moved to the Eastbourne Aviation Co. Perry had been killed in an air crash on 16 August 1914 in France and the company was being closed down. Later the aircraft was sold to the Lakes Flying Co. and tests were carried out on Lake Windermere until July 1915, without flight being achieved. The aircraft was then broken up.
60hp ENV type F eight-cylinder water-cooled vee driving two Integral propellers through an extension shaft and chains, one crossed for opposite rotation.
90hp Curtiss type OX eight-cylinder water-cooled vee substituted in mid-1914
Span top 35ft
Span bottom 23ft 3in
Chord top 6ft
Chord bottom 4ft
Gap 6ft 8 l/2in
Area 290 sq. ft
Area rudder 11 sq. ft
Area elevators 6 sq. ft
Area tailplane 25 sq. ft
Speed 72 mph
Endurance 3 1/2hr
Weight allup 1,600lb.
G.Duval British Flying-Boats and Amphibians 1909-1952 (Putnam)
Perry-Beadle Flying-boat (1913)
In an attempt to emulate the success of the Sopwith Bat Boat, the Perry-Beadle machine was built by F. P. Hyde Beadle and Copland Perry at their Twickenham works in late 1913, with the hull sub-contracted to Saunders of Cowes.
Generally of conventional layout, the machine had an unusual power arrangement which followed a design theory of the time that future flyingboats would have engines and crew accommodated within the hull. A 60 h.p. E.N.V. eight-cylinder Vee-type engine was totally enclosed in the bows, with tube-shrouded chain transmission to twin tractor propellers carried on mid-span interplane struts. Hull decking over the engine was removable for maintenance. The hull itself was beautifully streamlined to a fish-like profile, the monocoque rear section with integral fin and tailplane merging into a deep forward section which embodied the planing bottom and a perpendicular bow. A single step was formed by the junction of the rear monocoque and forward sections. The entire hull and tail surfaces were covered by Saunders ‘Consuta’ copper-sewn plywood. The upper wing was of normal wooden construction, equipped with ailerons and fabric covered. The lower wing was covered with ‘Consuta’ and of unusual airfoil section, in that the point of maximum camber lay at fifty per cent of the 4-foot chord. No wing-tip floats were fitted, reliance for lateral water stability being placed upon the watertight wing itself. Control surfaces were operated by external wires from the wheeled control column, and from rudder pedals.
The Perry-Beadle was exhibited at the 1914 Aero Show at Olympia, but then the outbreak of war intervened, and flight trials could not be arranged until 1915. At this time, an association known as the Lakes Flying Company was operating with marine aircraft on Lake Windermere, an ideal locale with calm water and few wartime restrictions. The machine was transported there in July 1915, and after assembly, flotation tests were made. The results were not promising, for the machine lay so low in the water that the lower wing trailing edge and rudder base were submerged. This fact, combined with the fish-like hull, quickly earned it the local sobriquet of‘Jonah’s Whale’. Flight trials were attempted by Mr Stanley Adams of the Lakes Company, but he failed to get the machine off the water, due to the high drag set up by the immersed lower wing. The Perry-Beadle remained at Windermere, and, after removal of the engine, was finally broken up.
Power Plant: One 60 h.p. E.N.V. Vee-eight engine
Span: 35 feet
Length: 26 feet
Height: 9 feet
Weight Loaded: 1,600 pounds
Total Area: 290 square feet
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Perry, Beadle and Co.'s exhibit at the 1914 Olympia Aero Show was a small two-seat biplane flying-boat of good workmanship and neat appearance. Several unusual features were incorporated in the design, including the mounting of the eight-cylinder 60 h.p. E.N.V. "F" engine in the bows, whence its power was transmitted to the pair of outboard Integral propellers through chains and sprockets. The hull was made by S. E. Saunders and Co., of Cowes, on their Consuta system of two skins of mahogany sewn together with copper wire. The tailplane and fin were made integrally with the hull, and the tailplane and the mahogany-covered lower wings rested in the water to support the machine when at rest. Such unorthodox innovations in design did not prove to be very practical and, after unsuccessful tests on Lake Windermere, the machine was broken up. Span, 35 ft. Wing area, 285 sq. ft. Weight empty, 950 lb. Maximum speed, 64 m.p.h.
Flight, March 14, 1914.
WHAT THERE WILL BE TO SEE AT OLYMPIA.
Perry Beadle (Perry, Beadle and Co.). (42.)
ANOTHER newcomer to the Show will be the flying boat exhibited by Messrs. Perry, Beadle and Co.
This machine differs materially both in design and construction from usual practice. From the accompanying sketch it will be seen that the lines of the boat itself are highly original. In front it is very deep and wide, and in this portion of it is housed the engine, a 60 h.p. E.N.V., which drives through chain-and-sprocket gearing the two propellers situated in front of the main planes.
The tail planes are fish-shaped and form a continuation of the boat itself, being of the same material, that is to say, two layers of mahogany. The most interesting point, however, is perhaps the position and construction of the lower main plane. This member is covered with mahogany similarly to the boat, instead of the usual fabric covering, and is partly submerged in the water when the machine is at rest.
Flight, March 28, 1914.
THE OLYMPIA EXHIBITION.
PERRY BEADLE (PERRY, BEADLE AND CO.).
THE flying boat exhibited by this firm is of very unusual appearance and represents radical changes from accepted methods of flying bout design. The boat itself, which has been built by Messrs. Saunders, of Cowes, has two skins of mahogany sewn together with copper wire, The tail planes, which are more or less fish-shaped, form a continuation of the hull, and are built up in the same way.
The pilot's and passenger's seats are arranged tandem fashion, the pilot occupying the rear seat. Control is by means of a hand-wheel mounted on a single central column, and a pivoted foot-bar.
Mounted in the nose of the boat on strong longitudinal bearers, the engine - a 60 h.p. E.N.V., is temporarily fitted, but will be replaced later by one of higher horse-power - driving through chain and sprocket gearing the two propellers, situated in front of the main planes. These propellers seem to be of very small diameter, but are really nearly six feet. The combined thrust and journal bearing is supported in a steel casing, which is in turn mounted between the two halves of the front plane strut, the whole being made rigid by the diagonal cross bracing wires. This, of course, necessitates very careful adjustment of the wires, as otherwise the propeller shaft would be out of truth. A very neat streamlined casing of brass encloses the propeller shaft in the manner shown in one of the accompanying sketches. The tubular chain guards serve at the game time as radius rods by taking the compression due to the pull on the chains.
The main planes are separated by hollow spruce struts, and the upper one, which is covered with fabric in the usual way, carries the interconnected aileron. The lower main plane, the trailing edge of which is submerged in the water when the machine is at rest, is covered with two skins of mahogany sewn together, similar to the covering of the boat. No wing tip floats are fitted as the lower plane performs this duty. The arrangement, whilst very unusual, is certainly well worth trying, but one would imagine that for work in a rough sea several objections might be raised against it.
The construction of the boat, as one would expect from a firm like Messrs. Saunders, is excellent.