J.Herris AEG Aircraft of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 16)
In early 1914 AEG built a floatplane variant of the Z6 landplane for the German Navy. The AEG S1 had folding wings for shipboard use. Completed in May, the S1 (work number 42, Marine Number 45) was powered by a 150 hp Benz Bz.III. It was delivered to the naval seaplane command at Holtenau in June for testing. The S1 was returned to AEG for repair after several flights and was returned to Warnemunde on August 21, 1914. Tests flown in September reveals that the S1 was not acceptable for service,- carrying only the pilot and 20 liters of fuel, the S1 lost speed in a turn to such an extent that it became dangerously unstable. On October 27 the S1 was again returned to AEG, this time for conversion to a landplane. Navy landplane number LF35 had been reserved for the converted S1 but this number was re-assigned to the Aviatik WP18 in October.
AEG entered a second AEG S1 (w/n 43) in the Ostseeflug Warnemunde competition supported by the National Flug Spende and German Navy that was scheduled for August 1-10, 1914. With the general mobilization on August 1, the 22 Ostseeflug competitors were impressed and held at Warnemunde for acceptance testing. On August 11, naval pilots reported that the heavy S1 possessed insufficient climb. Fitted with lighter floats, additional trials were conducted by AEG pilots at Warnemunde between August 19 and October 3 but showed no improvement. Consequently, on October 27 the S1 was shipped to Hennigsdorf for conversion to a landplane.
AEG S1 Specifications
Engine: 150 hp Benz Bz.III
Wing: Span, Upper 16.00 m
Chord, Upper 2.00 m
Gap 2.00 m
General: Length 11.80 m
Height 3.80 m
Flight, September 25, 1914.
AIRCRAFT "MADE IN GERMANY"
WHICH MAY BE EMPLOYED AGAINST THE ALLIES.
1. The A.E.G. Seaplane
is a newcomer into the German waterplane industry. The machine illustrated hereby was designed for the Warnemunde-Scandinavia Race, and is chiefly interesting on account of the wing mounting, which is such that the main planes can be folded back along the body for purposes of transport. The rectangular section body tapers towards the nose, where is mounted the 150 h p. Benz engine. Aluminium sheeting with inspection doors covers the front portion, whilst the rear part is covered with fabric. The two seats are arranged in tandem, the pilot occupying the rear one. By undoing the drag wires running to the fuselage the main planes can be folded along the sides of the body, the lower ones passing underneath it. The whole operation of folding the wings can be accomplished in under two minutes. The two main floats, which are of the single step type, are built up of two skins of mahogany over a framework of ash, and are fitted with bulkheads dividing them into watertight compartments. As the floats are of ample size - their displacement is three times the weight of the machine - they float very high on the water when the machine is at rest. The floats are carried on a framework of streamline steel tubes, to which they are attached, each by four rubber shock-absorbers. In addition to the usual equipment, a complete set of instruments for wireless telegraphy is carried.