M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Martin-Handasyde No. 1
George H. Handasyde, a native of Edinburgh, started his career in a drawing-office in the same city, working later with the Maldevic Motor Carriage Company, the Leith shipping firm of Ramage and Ferguson and with the engineers Bertrams of Edinburgh. In 1906 he designed his first vehicle - a motor car - and then moved South to London, where during 1908, as an experienced automobile engineer, he formed a partnership with H. P. Martin, of Trier and Martin, the manufacturers of carburettors, to design and construct aeroplanes. Their first product was a single-seat tractor monoplane which was built in a derelict ball-room near the Old Welsh Harp at Hendon. A four-cylinder Beeston Humber 10-12 h.p. car engine tuned to give 22 h.p. was installed, together with a three-bladed propeller. Upon completion, the machine was taken for testing into a nearby field, but, on running-up, the propeller disintegrated and the engine tore itself away from the nose. The aircraft was not considered worth developing, and was thereupon abandoned. Span, 22 ft. Weight loaded, 580 lb.