M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
White and Thompson Twin-engine Flying-boat
The second of the White and Thompson flying-boats for the 1914 Daily Mail Circuit of Britain was entered as No. 9, with Lt. A. Loftus Bryan scheduled as the pilot.
Based, as was its companion, on the Curtiss design, the machine was powered by two eight-cylinder vee Austin-built Curtiss OX engines of 90 h.p. each, driving three-bladed pusher propellers of adjustable pitch, and was larger and heavier than No. 6. Side-by-side seating was provided again in the hull, which was constructed at Littlehampton, Sussex, by Williams and Co., a subsidiary of White and Thompson. The fore-part of the hull was given a cross-section of rectangular form, which changed to circular towards the rear. The same form of long tail fin extended along the top of the hull, but No. 6's type of extra fore-fin was not included. The engines' radiators were carried at the front of the bearers, and below the wing-tips the deep rectangular-section floats were mounted.
The twin-engined White and Thompson flying-boat was completed just after the outbreak of the 1914-18 War, but the design was not developed. The prototype made one flight only, and was then taken back to the works for alterations which were not finally carried out.
Description: Two-seat pusher biplane flying-boat. Wooden structure, fabric covered.
Manufacturers: White and Thompson, Co. Ltd., Middleton-on-Sea, Bognor, Sussex.
Power Plant: Two 90 h.p. Curtis OX-5.
Dimensions: Span, 52 ft. Length, 32 ft. 3 ins. Wing area, 500 sq. ft.
Weights: Empty, 2,000 lb. Loaded, 3,000 lb.
Performance: Endurance, 6 hrs.
Flight, October 9, 1914.
THE "ROUND BRITAIN" MACHINES.
THE seaplane for which Mr. Loftus Bryan had been nominated pilot in the circuit of Britain, and which had been officially numbered 9, was
The White and Thompson Flying Boat.
As regards the general disposition of its component parts this machine adheres fairly closely to the practice followed in the original American Curtiss flying boats, but the greater portion of the detail work has undergone alteration and modification with the object of improving, both aerodynamically and constructionally, upon its American prototype.
Aerodynamically the greatest improvement has possibly been effected in the shape of the wing section, which is a reproduction of the famous R.A.F. 6, that has proved so efficient both under laboratory tests and on full - sized machines. In plan the wings are of rectangular form and the upper plane has a very pronounced overhang braced by steel tubes running to the bases of the outer interplane struts. The balancing flaps are hinged to the outer portion of the upper rear spar and not, as in the original Curtiss, to the plane struts. Consistent with modern practice, the flaps are inter-connected, so that when one is depressed the other is correspondingly elevated. The spars of the lower main plane pass through the boat, to which they are further stayed by four steel tubes running from the plane struts immediately outside the engines to the sides of the boat.
Instead of running vertically from top to bottom plane the inner pair of interplane struts form an inverted V as seen from in front, so that their upper apices meet on the centre line of the upper plane. Between the planes and spaced about 8 ft. apart are mounted two Curtiss engines of the OX model, each of 90 h.p. and driving a three - bladed propeller with adjustable pitch. The method of mounting these engines is the same as that employed when only a single motor is fitted, and consists, as our readers will remember from previous descriptions of Curtiss machines, of stout engine bearers of ash supported on a structure of steel tubes resting with their lower extremities on the spars of the lower main plane. In front of the engines are mounted the two radiators, which in this machine are placed astride the engine bearers. The engines are braced forward by means of two struts running to the keel of the boat some distance behind the bow. As the engines are not enclosed in any way, they are easily accessible should it become necessary to effect minor adjustments.
The boat or hull, which has been built by Messrs. Williams and Co. of Littlehampton, is of approximately rectangular section in front, whilst gradually running into a circular section at the rear. Being about 4 ft. deep and of practically the same beam, it affords ample accommodation for pilot and passenger, who sit side by side just in front of the leading edge of the main planes. Curtiss control of the usual dual type is fitted, so that either of the occupants can pilot the machine. Behind the seats and inside the boat is placed the petrol tank, which has a capacity of 90 gallons, or sufficient for a flight of 6 hours' duration.
The tail planes are of the usual Curtiss form, but are slightly larger in size than those fitted on the single-engined machines. A vertical fin resting on the top of the rear circular portion of the boat, to which it is braced by means of steel tubes, provides the fixed vertical surface aft. To the trailing edge of this fin is hinged a large rudder, which has a small forward extension above the fixed stabilising plane. The lower part of the rudder is covered with metal for the sake of protection. The large horizontal tail plane is mounted on top of the vertical fin and braced by tubes to the boat. A divided elevator hinged to the rear edge of the tail plane completes the tail unit.
The weight of the machine empty is 2,000 lbs., and with full load, including pilot, passenger and 6 hours' fuel, 3,000 lbs.