Flight, April 19, 1917.
THE "TOTALLY ENCLOSED" AEROPLANE.
Another monoplane with enclosed cabin at the same exhibition was one built by the Bavarian Motor and Aircraft Works. As the illustration shows, this machine was of the underslung type, similar to the Bleriot "Aerocar," but the engine - a 50 h.p. rotary built by the same firm - was mounted in front of the wings. The undercarriage was built up of steel tubes throughout, and the tail planes, which were mounted on tubular outriggers, were also made of steel. The cabin provided seating accommodation for two - side by side. Dual control was fitted so that either of the occupants might handle the machine. Windows in the side and front furnished an excellent view outwards as well as forward, where the engine was mounted so high as to not impede the view to any considerable extent. As a matter of fact, it would appear that the engine, or more correctly speaking the propeller, was placed somewhat too high for the centre of thrust to coincide with the centre of resistance, and possibly there would be a tendency for the tail to drop when the engine was switched off. The workmanship and finish of this machine were excellent, and apart from the points raised above its general lines were rather pleasing. We have, however, no information regarding its performance, and no more of the type were seen after the show. The span was 35 ft. and the overall length 25 ft. The total weight is stated to have been only 660 lb. empty, which appears somewhat optimistic in view of the amount of steel employed in the construction.