O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Friedrichshafen FF 64
Development of the FF 64 was due to the success of the ship-borne Wolfchen. It was especially designed for easy launching, and the wings were arranged to fold for compact shipboard stowage without its structural strength and seaworthiness being affected. Radio transmitter and receiver were installed. Only three aircraft were built and supplied from March 1918. Power unit was 160 h.p. Mercedes D III, and a manually operated Parabellum machine-gun was carried in rear cockpit.
Flight, October 23, 1919.
SOME FRIEDRICHSHAFEN "MILESTONES"
"The F.F. 64
"The success of the 'Wolfchen' as a ship's 'plane to the auxiliary cruiser 'The Wolf,' led to the construction of the F.F. 64 (Figs. 34 and 35). This machine, which had a 160 h.p. Mercedes engines, has been specially designed to be easily launched from the ship. In order to facilitate storage and launching, the wings are made to fold back, the hinges being just above the floats. The machine can also be easily dismantled and erected without its rigidity, reliability and seaworthiness being impaired.