Flight, June 5, 1914.
THE PRINCE HENRY CIRCUIT, 1914.
MACHINES IN PRINCE HENRY CIRCUIT.
The A.E.G. Biplane is of the ordinary tractor type, having straight wings (as seen in plan, but set at a pronounced dihedral angle). The main planes are so designed that for purposes or transport they can be folded flat along the sides of the fuselage. The chassis has three wheels, of which the front one, the object of which is to protect the propeller, is sprung by means of coiled springs on a steel tube sloping backwards to the nose of the fuselage.
Flight, August 21, 1914.
AIRCRAFT "MADE IN GERMANY"
WHICH MAY BE EMPLOYED AGAINST THE ALLIES.
5. The A.E.G. Biplane
is characterised by back-swept wing tips, its main planes being straight, as seen in plan. The upper one, which has a considerable overhang, is also straight, as seen from in front, but the lower is set at a pronounced dihedral angle. The fuselage of this machine is unusual in that it is of rectangular section in the front portion, whilst being of triangular section at the rear. A flexing elevator somewhat similar to that employed on the Taube type monoplane is fitted. The rudder is situated wholely above the tail plane and is balanced. The chassis is of the three-wheeled type, having two main wheels which ordinarily take the weight of the machine, and a third mounted on a buffer, which prevents the machine from standing on its nose in case of a bad landing. A 100 h.p. N.A.G. engine is fitted.
The seats are arranged in tandem, the pilot sitting well to the rear, whilst the passenger is situated approximately over the centre of gravity of the machine, so that his presence or absence does not affect the longitudinal stability.