O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Halberstadt C III
Built towards the end of 1917, the C III was the first of the Halberstadt standard two-seaters intended for long-range reconnaissance, and formed the basis of the later C V, which was to see series production. It was a conventional machine of wood and fabric with ply-skinned fuselage; its only singular feature was the mounting of the lower wing on a keel to afford an increased gap. According to Idflieg report, six machines were completed. Engine, 200 h.p. Benz Bz IV. Span, 12.2 m. (40 ft. 0 3/8 in.) length, 7.7 m. (25 ft. 3 1/4 in.). Height, 2.95 m. (9 ft. 8 1/8 in.). Weights: Empty. 850 kg. (1.870 lb.). Loaded, 1.310 kg. (2,882 lb.). Speed, ca. 165 km.hr. (103.125 m.p.h.). Armament, one Parabellum and one Spandau machine-gun.