O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Pfalz D VI
There is no record of a D V, and the next Pfalz single-seater to appear was the extremely elegant D VI of 1917. It featured wrapped plywood fuselage technique, as handed down through the L.F.G. D II and Pfalz D III production series, the struts and wing arrangement being reminiscent of the D III also. The D VI participated in the first D types Competition at Adlershof, and when flown by Baierlein on 5th February 1918 achieved the performance figures specified below. Engine, 110 h.p. Oberursel U II. Span, 7.08m. (23 ft. 2 3/4 in.). Area, 13.3 sq.m.(149 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty. 400 kg. (880 lb.). Loaded, 606 kg. (1,334 lb.). Climb, 5,000 m. (16,400 ft.) in 25 min. Service ceiling, 5,600 m. (18,368 ft.).
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
PFALZ D IV Germany
No details of the D IV single-seat single-bay biplane fighter are available apart from the fact that it was powered by a 110 hp Oberursel U II rotary engine and was built in parallel with the D VI (there being no record of a D V). The D IV is believed to have been flown early in 1917.
PFALZ D VI Germany
Submitted for inclusion in the first D-type Competition at Adlershof in January 1918 (together with the D VII and D VIII), the D VI was an elegant single-bay biplane in which careful attention had been paid to aerodynamic cleanliness. Flown early in 1917, and employing the semi-monocoque wrapped plywood fuselage construction of the D III, the D VI was powered by a 110 hp Oberursel U II rotary. Armament comprised the standard twin LMG 08/15 arrangement and acceptance testing was completed satisfactorily in September 1917, but a comparatively poor rate of climb seems to have militated against a production order.
Time to 16,405 ft (5 000 m), 24 min.
Empty weight, 882 lb (400 kg).
Loaded weight, 1,336 lb (606 kg).
Span, 23 ft 2 3/4 in (7,08 m).
Wing area, 143.16 sqft (13,30 m2).