J.Wegg General Dynamics Aircraft and Their Predecessors Since 1912 (Putnam)
Thomas started work on his first aircraft at Hammondsport in November 1909 and the pusher biplane was first flown from Page Farm, Hornell, New York, the following spring by Bert Chambers. The machine seated pilot and passenger side-by-side on the leading edge of the lower wing. In its first form, large panels pivoting on fore and aft hinges at the centre of the outboard wing struts served for roll control. Later, these were replaced with ailerons. The four-wheel undercarriage was mounted on bamboo skids attached to the wing centre section that supported the 22hp Kirkham automobile engine with its chain-driven propeller. With two on board it could stay aloft for 20 minutes. Subsequently the elevator, supported by bamboo struts, was modified and twin rudders fitted and the chain-drive was abandoned in favow' of a direct-drive system.
Span 27ft; weight empty 650 lb.