( :)

Caproni Ca.3 - Ca.6

:

: 1911

Caproni - Ca.1 - Ca.2 - 1910 - <– –>Caproni - Ca.8 - Ca.13 (Cm.1 - Cm.7) - 1911 -

R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The third biplane, constructed during the 1910-11 winter, was conceived with a lighter structure. A simple bamboo tailboom with three struts replaced the previous trussed fuselage. The wingspan was also greatly reduced, while the engine was carried over from the previous type.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
While starting the detailed design of his first monoplane, Caproni built other biplanes. The fifth biplane, which harked back to the third, stood out for its double curvature Coanda airfoil and metal tube tailboom longerons. It was tested by Caproni himself in association with the aviator Baragiola, who had built a hangar for his private Bleriot XI at Vizzola Ticino. The photo show the Ca.6, the sixth Caproni biplane, which also sported the characteristic double curvature airfoil and the lightened tailboom, constructed from hollowed-out wooden tubes. Still powered by the 50 hp Rebus, it was modified following some flights in spring 1911.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The photo show the Ca.6, the sixth Caproni biplane, which also sported the characteristic double curvature airfoil and the lightened tailboom, constructed from hollowed-out wooden tubes. Still powered by the 50 hp Rebus, it was modified following some flights in spring 1911.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The Esposizione dellAeronautica Italiana, held in Milan in June-October 1934, was the first major exhibition in Italy devoted to the history of flight. Designed by the best Italian architects and artists, coordinated by Giuseppe Pagano, and actively supported by industry, the show presented a coherent and convincing survey of the development of aviation. Gianni Caproni, who sat on the organizing committee, loaned three of the Caproni Museums aircraft, including the Ca.6 shown here.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The Caproni Museums entrance in 1940. A visitors log sits on the round table. The Ca.1 and Ca.6, easily recognized by the variable pitch metal propeller, stand alongside the carpet. Directly behind the bronze bust are the Ca.36Ms empennages, partially hiding a Macchi-Nieuport 29 fuselage. By 1943 the decaying military situation forced the Museum to disperse its three main nuclei - Museum, library and archive -, blocking all activity but also preserving much of the material for posterity.