( :)

Caproni Ca.22 - Ca.25

:

: 1914

Caproni - Ca.20 - 1914 - <– –>Caproni - Ca.37 - Ca.38 - 1916 -

R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The Ca.22 had a high wing of the parasol type, intended to improve the pilots forward visibility but uniquely provided with a variable incidence mechanism. Powered by the reliable 80 hp Gnome Lambda, the Ca.22 set several world and Italian records.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The importance and quantity of the material gathered by the Capronis soon required the construction of a permanent display structure, designed along a coherent historical perspective. The Caproni Museum thus occupied a large hangar on Taliedo airport, among the firms workshops. In this area were placed the Caproni Ca.1, Ca.6, Caproni Bristol, Ca.18, Ca.20, Ca.22, Ca.36M, Ca.42, Ca.53, elements of the Ca.60, Gino Allegris Ansaldo SVA serial 11777, the CNA Eta, a Fokker D.VIII fuselage, two Gabardini monoplanes, one of which with floats, a Gabardini G.51, a Macchi-Nieuport 29, a Roland VIb fuselage, a Siemens Schuckert D.IV forward section, tre airship gondolas, a model of Leonardo da Vincis unbuilt glider, plus an unspecified number of engines, propellers, and other material. This was certainly among the worlds largest aviation collections, much admired by the many illustrious visitors.
The photo shows the Ca.22 and, behind it, the Ca.53. Between the two the uncovered fuselage and rudder of the Caproni-Bristol can be seen.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The Ca.23 was analogous to the Ca.22, except for the fixed incidence wing and the 100 hp Fiat A.10 inline engine. A further variant, the Ca.24, was powered by a 100 hp Gnome Delta rotary and was ordered by the military in thirty copies for distribution to reconnaissance units.
R.Abate, G.Alegi, G.Apostolo - Aeroplani Caproni: Gianni Caproni and His Aircraft, 1910-1983
The final prewar Caproni monoplane was the Ca.25, another 1914 parasol design with a structure derived from the early Ca.8/Ca.11 series aircraft. Powered by a six cylinder Anzani fixed radial engine it also sported a variable incidence wing, automatically regulated by the large spring clearly visible in the photo. At least one was used by the Army, as attested by the serial 132 painted on the fuselage side.