Сайт - Pilots-and-planes /WWW/

The prototype Bristol F.2A Fighter (A3303) on the landing ground at the Central Flying School at Upavon during September of 1916
The F.2A prototype (A3303) is prepared for take off at Orfordness
A3303 on the grass at Upavon after it was modified with the round radiator and deeper cowling. At this time the aircraft had no gun mounting in the observer's cockpit
The first F.2A prototype (A3303) at the experimental armament center at Orfordness
The second F.2A prototype at Filton in December of 1916
This F.2B (A7106) was powered by a 190 hp Rolls Roys Falcon I engine and was part of the first production batch
This Falcon I powered F.2B (A7106) was built by the Bristols and is known to have been at No 8 Aircraft Acceptance Park, at Lympne during 1917
At one time this F.2B (A-7107) served with No 48 Squadron in France. It later flew with the Wireless Training School at Biggin Hill, doing pioneer experimental radio work
Another F.2B from the first production batch, A7183 carried navigation lights above the lower wing outboard of the struts and on the rudder trailing edge. The aircraft was at Orfordness in February of 1918
This early production F.2A on the landing ground at Ayr, Scotland during April of 1917 was from the first production batch. It was powered by a 190 hp Falcon I engine
This F.2B (A7238) carries the name TIGER on the fuselage in White. The aircraft has no wheel cover over the starboard wheel. It served at Rendcombe during July of 1918 and was later transferred to No 44 Training Squadron of that same year
Bristol Fighter with Lieutenant CWM Thompson of 22 Squadron standing by it
F.2B B1134 was assigned to No 35 Squadron after having served with No 48 Squadron which had received the type in March of 1917
This F.2B (B1153) was powered by a 220 hp liquid cooled 12 cylinder Rolls-Royce Falcon II engine
To solve the engine shortage problem, an number of F.2Bs were tested during the war with different engines. This F.2B (B1200) at the experimental establishment at Marlesham Beath in September of 1918 was powered by a 200 hp Wolsey Viper liquid cooled engine
The shape of the cowling on this F.2B (B1206) indicates that it was powered by the 230 hp Siddeley Puma liquid cooled engine
It is uncertain whether the White marking just forward of the fuselage roundel on this F.2B (B1208) is the recognition marking of No 20 Squadron or the aircraft's side number (1)
In January 1918 Captain Alan P.Maclean and Lieutenant Frederick H. Cantlon, MC, on No.11 Squadron, RFC, posed in Bristol F.2B C.4844, which they had named 'Rickadamdoo'. They were flying this aircraft when they shot down by Jagdgeschwader I aircraft on 18 March 1918
While a ground crewmen holds its tail down, the pilot of this F.2B (D2222) runs up the engine. The aircraft was fitted with a 200 hp Sunbeam Arab engine and it was one of a batch of F.2Bs built by the National Aircraft Factory at Alntree, Liverpool
The small hole in the top of the radiator is the gun port for the pilot's .303 Vickers machine gun. The White stripes around the rear fuselage were recognition markings used by No 139 Squadron in Italy during late 1918
This F.2B (D7966) was issued to No 139 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps on 16 August 1918. The aircraft was lost in combat with Austrian forces some seven days later and the crew, Lts C.E.G.Gill and T.Newey were taken prisoners of war
Bristol Fighter of 48 Squadron, brought down 20 September, the crew being captured
Major B.E.Baker, DSO, MC, AFC, a very successful Bristol Fighter pilot who served with 48 Squadron in 1917. He is seen here the following year in England whilst serving with 141 (Home Defence) Squadron. He later became Air Marshal Sir Brian Baker
BURGATE was flown in France by "L" Flight on long distance artillery spotting duties
This Bristol F.2B (F4844) is a factory-fresh machine from a production batch of seven hundred produced by Bristol
This F.2B (H6058) was fitted with a 240 hp Siddeley Puma engine and was, along with F.2B (H6055) were the only F.2Bs known to have been built by the Austin Motor Company, although a batch of six hundred were ordered on 25 September 1918
This F.2b was on the landing ground at Malincourt on the day that the First World War ended, 11 November 1918. The aircraft was powered by a Sunbeam Arab liquid cooled engine and was assigned to "B" Flight on No 8 Squadron
This F.2B of No 98 Squadron's Long Rangr Reconnaissance flight nosed over after loosing a wheel on landing. The hole in the underside is the opening for the vertical camera which was controlled by the observer/gunner
This F.2B of No 111 Squadron had the fabric on the rear fuselage pulled lose. The squadron operated a detachment of Bristol F.2Bs from Sarona, Palestine during late 1917
This Bristol Fighter was reportedly assigned to No 141 (Home Defence) Squadron. It is unclear why the aircraft had the fuselage and fin covered in what appears to be German printed Lozenge camouflage frabic
The 230 hp Sunbeam Arab engine differed from the Falcon in a number of ways including the use of front side mounted radiator shutters and a revised exhaust system with a long down sloping exhaust stack
A group of officers inspect a Bristol F.2B of No 39 (Home Defence) Squadron at North Weald, Essex. The squadron was based here to intercept German Gotha bombers. The officer looking into the observer's cockpit is GEN T.C.R.Biggins, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of No 6 Brigade
This F.2B has twin .303 inch Lewis machine guns mounted above the upper wing center section and a twin Lewis mount in the observer's cockpit. It is believed that this F.2B was a night fighter assigned to No 39 (Home Defence) Squadron
Australian CAPT Ross Smith, who later became a long distance flyer, mans the forward cockpit of an F.2B of No 1 (Australian) Squadron, while his gunner LT E A Mustard, mans the twin .303 Lewis machine gins in the rear cockpit
This Royal Flying Corps gunner demonstrates the use of a .303 inch Lewis machine gun in the rear cockpit of an F.2B. The gun is mounted on a Scraff ring mount and is equipped with a Norman sight. The gunner carried seven ninty-seven round drum magazines in the rear cockpit
Невооруженный прототип DH2. Планер покрыт бесцветным лаком, хорошо виден силовой набор крыльев (The prototype D.H.2)
DH2 5925 enjoyed a comparatively long service career: it joined No.24 Squadron in France in February 1916 and was flown back to the UK on 22 May the following year
D.H.2 of second production batch in standard scheme
The DH2 shown is 7850, at No.1 Aircraft Depot, Candas
Wooden hangars, with curtain fronts, a DH2 on push-back and two others waiting action - a scene that would be typical of 1915-16 when the pusher fighter was a fortunate answer to the Fokker menace
DE HAVILLAND D.H.2 (No.6011) of No.24 Squadron. Brought down and captured slightly damaged in July 1916. Piloted by Lt. R.H.B.Ker
D.H.2, No.24 Squadron, R.F.C., serial unknown
The D.H. 2. - A small single-seater pusher scout, with 100 h.p. Gnome monosoupape engine. This machine has a strong family resemblance to the D.H. 1.
'British Airmen in France', a 1916 postcard, depicts a DH2 biplane
D.H.2 with non-standard rudder stripes, Fourth Army aircraft park, Beauval, France, 1916
The flat-sided D.H.5 prototype A5172 with small horn-balanced rudder.
Производились самолеты с упрощенным фюзеляжем, имевшим четырехгранное сечение. Данный D.H.5, использовавшийся в летной школе, не имел синхронизатора и пулемет был выставлен под углом к горизонту (Prototype D.H.5 fitted with Vickers gun mounted at an upward angle. The modified vertical tail surfaces incorporate a rudder which, although of the same shape as that of the production D.H.5, is horn-balanced)
No.4873 had a double-yoked pair of Lewis guns
5203 was the third production FE2b built by Boulton & Paul, Ltd., and was a typical early FE2b with the 120-hp Beardmore
No.6338 was a presentation aircraft, but bore its inscription - Ceylon No.3, A Nightjar from Ceylon - only on the port side of nacelle. On February 29 1916, while being flown by 2/Lts. L A Newbold and Chapman it was shot down by Wass of Feld-Flieger Abteilung 3, and is here seen shortly after capture
An early-production FE2b that fell into German hands was 6341, Zanzibar No.1
There was, quite literally, another side to 6341. Although marked Zanzibar No.1 on its port side it bore the more personal name The Scotch Express on the starboard
No.6937 was built by Boulton & Paul, and was marked as a presentation aircraft, Punjab No.29, Rawalpindi
A800 at Marske, the base of several training units that gave instruction in air combar and aerial gunnery
A "presentation" aircraft from the Gold Coast, this F.E.2b served with No 25 Sqn, RFC.
Meanwhile, the FE2b soldiered on although with the increasing numbers of better aircraft available from early 1917 it was soon 'relegated' to the night bomber role - as here with A5478 of 100 Squadron, this unit having formed in February 1917 for this specific role with the FE2b. This picture shows the vulnerable position of the observer in combat.
FE2b A5548 of No.64 Training Squadron at Sedgeford 1917
RAF FE2b A5794 of 192NTS, for the training of observers and pilots in night flying
Британский флот также применял FE2. На этом F.E.2D, оборудованном специальным шасси со сбрасываемыми колесами и надувными баллонетами, испытывались возможности безопасной посадки сухопутного самолета на воду. (A6536, here seen at Grain on May 30 1918 with its modified under-carriage, wing-tip floats, and stowed air bags)
A6536 with its airbags inflated
A6562, seen here with all the external fittings and finish of a night-bombing FE2b
B1877, a presentation aircraft, St Andrews No.1
The only FE2b to receive a British civil registration was D3832
An unidentified FE2b of No.18 Squadron, with a camera mounted on the starboard side of the nacelle
A blood-less face-off between two deadly rivals: a Fokker E.III beside a captured F.E.2b
An overhead view of an FE2b nacelle
Remains of a British FE2b after being shot down by a German aircraft. The body of the British pilot lies in foreground
The prototype S.E.5, serial number A.4561
S.E.5. The first prototype with modified exhausts and modified windscreen
S.E.5. The second prototype with 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engine
S.E.5 (A'4852) of No 56 Squadron at London Colney prior to the aircraft being modified and prior to the unit being transferred to France. This aircraft was flown by Lt W B Melville
Production S.E.5 with modified wing-tips, semi-enclosed cockpit and external gravity tank
S.E.5 (A'8936) of No 60 Squadron flown by Capt William A Bishop. Such garish markings quickly disappeared since they were officially discouraged
Early production S.E.5a, showing installation of 200 h.p. Hispano-Suiza engine. This photograph shows B.507 in German hands with broken or disconnected aileron balance cables
S.E.5a (B595) of No 56 Squadron at Elstree Blanche, France in June of 1917. This aircraft was flown by Lt M E Mealing, MC
Farnborough-built S.E.5a B4897, with the strengthened all-wood undercarriage introduced on later machines.
S.E.5a (C1904) of No 85 Squadron at St Omer during June of 1918. This aircraft was flown by Billie Bishop
S.E.5a (C5303) of No 56 Squadron at Elstree Blanche, France in June of 1917
S.E.5a (D3511) of No 40 Squadron was flown by Major Roderic Stanley Dallas, the leading Australian Ace with fifty-one victories
S.E.5a (D5995) of No 143 Squadron while on Home Defense duty at Throwly in 1918. The White on the rudder and roundels have been toned down and a flame damper has been added to the exhaust for night fighting
Late production S.E.5a with Wolseley Viper engine. The aircraft is E.5987
S.E.5a (F5481) a presentation aircraft paid for by the 16th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment
S.E.5a (F8040) of the 25th Aero Squadron, United States Air Service, Toul, France in November of 1918. Pilot was Lt Raymond C Watts
A modified S.E.5a with a blunt nose and an underslung radiator. It showed no definite improvement over the standard model.
Sopwith 2-seater 7762 on the racecourse that served as an AAP
Though bearing no maker's caption, this splendid study of an early 1,5 Strutter, 9382, was nevertheless clearly taken on Sopwith's behalf, and though no guns are mounted (some early 1,5 Strutters were apprently delivered without the Vickers gun, and mountings for the Lewis gun varied) all salient features of the airframe are admirably shown. In the background is an early Martinsyde G.100 - apparently 7263 or 7283 - with its top-wing gun mounting sticking up like the proverbial sore thumb.
Fitted with an "Eteve" machine gun mount in the rear cockpit, Sopwith 1,5 Strutter 7777 was built under license by Ruston Proctor. The 1,5 Strutter was built a number of subcontractors
Sopwith 2-seater 9723 was crashed on take-off at Thermi on 10 July 1917 by Buckley, with AM O'Brien as observer
A377 with Strange mounting (inconspicious as always)
German officers examine a "Strutter" (A993) of No 43 Squadron which was forced down intact on 28 April 1917. It is believed the serial on the fin was Black with a thin White outline
This 1,5 Strutter (A5252) was assigned to "A" Flight of the Wireless School, at Biggin, Kent. The aircraft was built by Wells and has the lower segment of the cowling removed
A Sopwith 1,5 Strutter of No 3 Wing, Royal Naval Air Service during early 1917
N5220 was built by the sub-contractor, Mann, Egerton & Co. of Norwich and carried the company name and address under the tail in White. The aircraft has three lift points on the fuselage, identified by the stenciling "Lift here" and an arrow in White
'No fighting aeroplane ever introduced as many novel armament features as this Sopwith two-seater': the 1 1/2 Strutter, showing synchronised Vickers gun with Sopwith padded screen and Scarff No.2 ring-mounting.
Clear-view top-wing panels are seen here, with the gun-carrying bow of the Scarff No.2 ring-mounting depressed on another specimen of the 1 1/2 Strutter
In the flying view both the Lewis gun and the Vickers gun are conspicuous.
This Sopwith 1,5 Strutter was flown by the French. It carried a 2 in the rudder in Black and had an "Eteve" gun mount in the rear cockpit for the observer's .303 Lewis machine gun
Both single and two seat 1,5 Strutter share the hangar of No 5 Wing, Royal Naval Air Service. The aircraft in the foreground (A2) carried the serial 9395 under the tail in White
This single-seat 1,5 Strutter reveals the two transparent panels in the upper wing center section and the single Vickers .303 machine gun mounted on the aircraft centerline ahead of the cockpit
Single-seat bomber version of the 1,5 Strutter, with bomb doors closed and showing clear-view top-wing panels. The Vickers gun is present and was indeed standard
Одноместный бомбардировщик 1В.1 (This "Strutter" has had the rear cockpit faired over and was being flown as a single-seater. The 1,5 Strutter was built to fill a variety of roles including, a single seat bomber, two seat fighter, two seat reconnaissance aircraft and two seater bomber)
An unfamiliar version of the 1,5 Strutter - on skis in Russia after the Armistice
A 1,5 Strutter fitted with hydrovanes and air bags (deflated along the fuselage) for experimental ditching trials
Official drawing of the 1 1/2 Strutter.
Remarkable though the fact may seem, this head-on aspect (with the camera serving as an aiming-point for the Vickers gun, or vice versa) shows practically every basic feature of the Pup. The Sopwith caption reads: 'S.80 - Sopwith "Pup". 80 hp Le Rhone - 1916'
Of such clarity is this study of a Sopwith-built Pup that the gunfiring level (which, as Oliver Stewart recalled, 'projected back from under the rear part of the gun') is clearly seen. This might not have been so were the Sopwith padded screen installed, though fittings for this are present on the gun (a Vickers)
Pup A674 is seen here with 66 Squadron, this unit having re-equipped in March 1917 and moved to France as one of the new fighter units.
This Pup (A674) of No 66 Squadron at Filton, Bristol during early March of 1917 was built by the Standard Motor Company. The aircraft carried the company's badge painted on the interplane struts
A Whitehead example, with its A6158 more readable, and with port ailerons up.
This Pup (A6228) was assigned to No 40 Training Squadron at Waddon (Croydon), Surrey during mid-1917. After they were withdrawn from the Western Front, large numbers of Pups were used by training units
This Pup has the modified cowling indicating it is powered by a 100 hp Monosoupape engine. This aircraft was based at London Colney Airfield during 1917. The aircraft in the background is another Pup (A6235) which carries a White fuselage band
Modifications to Service (as distinct from experimental) Pups were relatively few, one of the best-known being the increase in tailplane incidence from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 degrees when the Gnome Monosoupape engine was fitted; but the tail surfaces of the one in distress here - and not, apprently, by reason of the sad event depicted, involving the inexpertly numbered 7313 (presumably the Standard-built A7313) - were non-standard
This Sopwith Pup of No 46 Squadron carried a White Skull and Crossbones on the wheel covers
A Standard-built specimen, darkly numbered B1704 hugely on the fin, and with port ailerons down.
After serving with No 36 (Home Defence) Squadron, Sopwith Pup (B1807) survived the war and later became G-EVAVX on the British Civil Register. The serial number on the fin is Black outlined in White
Capt Foote flew this Sopwith Pup while assigned ti the Gosport School of Special Flying
With the 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape engine, the Pup had a distinctive cowling, open-bottomed (or 'horseshoe') and with four auxillary 'lips' round the upper-starboard segment of the nose-ring, as shown
The overall clear doped Linen Whitehead-built Pup is believed to have been assigned to a training unit. The aircraft is unarmed and the vertical fin is in White
This Whitehead-built Pup (B7525) is believed to have been powered by a 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine and it appears to be carrying an early type of gun camera in place of the standard Vickers machine gun
Sopwith Pup (B7575) in the first stages of being repainted with a new high visibility checker board scheme at Edzell near Montrose during 1918
When finished, B7575 sported a Black and White checkerboard design with a Blue fin and natural metal cowling. The serial on the fin was in Black
Pup (C215) was painted Blue with White stripes and carried a small Kiwi marking under the cockpit in White. The serial was Black with a White outline
C215 also carried Black and White striped undersurfaces. The aircraft was assigned to the training role at Gosport during 1918
Sopwith Pup (D4031) served with No 3 TDS at Gullance, near Edinburg, Scotland. The fuselage band is believed to be Blue and White
A Sopwith-built first production Pup wearing its Service number (N5180) - absent in the previous view of a similar machine - the picture being captioned by the makers: S.83 Sopwith 'Pup'. 80 hp Le Rhone 1916.
Maurice Buckley flying escort to a Sopwith 2-seater in Pup N6433. He was attached to D Sqn, 2 Wing RNAS at Stavros, on the Balkan Front
Pup N6453 (which was also tested aboard HMS Furious) departs from the aft ('Y') turret of HMS Repulse - a battle cruiser having two such twin-gun turrets forward and one aft. Note that the departure in this instance is made over the rear of the turret, and not over the guns.
Airborne over the 15 in guns of a battle cruiser, with the broad bows stretching out ahead, the Pup was given a different nautical scale (sailor-caps give further scale and atmosphere at lower port). The flying-off platform seen here was an experimental downward-sloping one, mounted on 'B" turret of HMS Repulse; the pilot Sqn Cdr Rutland; the date 7 October, 1917.
The historic 'Dunning/Pup/Furious', or 'crabbing and grabbing', pictures have received different ascriptions from various authorities, though it showing no Lewis gun on the tripod mounting seemingly records the true 'first', on 2 August, 1917.
As remarked in the text, there was wide agreement among pilots that the '80 Le Rhone' was the perfect partner for the Pup, and aspects of this delightful French rotary are here presented: left, 3/4 front; right, 3/4 rear.
One of the finest sets of official drawings ever prepared, showing not only salient features of the Pup, but details of armament (even the winding-off drum for the ammunition belt) - not to mention the buttons on the seat-cushion!
Prototype photographed at Chingford with Vickers gun installed
Prototype at St-Pol, Dunkerque, shortly after its arrival there in June 1916
By July 24 1916 the Triplane prototype had been painted overall with PC10 (or PC12), a finish that evidently inspired the name Brown Bread seen in this photograph. Its serial number N500 was applied discreetly in hollow characters
This was not the only occasion on which N500 ended up on it nose. This event probably occured in 1916
The second prototype, N504, was at Brooklands on August 29 1916
N5420's stay at the Clayton & Shuttleworth works was brief, for it was at Furnes by November 16 1916, and seven days later was recorded on the strength of No.1 Flight of 'A' Squadron RNAS
Collishaw's second Black Maria was N533, one of the six twin-gun Triplanes built by Clayton & Shuttleworth. He flew it on seven patrols between July 23 and 27 1917; on the latter date he destroyed one Albatros D.V and sent another down out of control
N5350, the first Triplane to be completed by Clayton & Shuttleworth. Delivered Dec 2 1916
N5364 went to No.10 (Naval) Squadron, and was lost on July 24 1917, when FSL T C May was shot down and killed by Leutnant Dilthey of Jasta 27
N5366 in a training unit, March 30 1918
N5377 of No.1 (Naval) Squadron after coming down in enemy territory on October 3 1917; its pilot, FSL M J Watson, was made PoW
This may have been N5382, which was at Manstone in mid-June 1917
N5386 was one of four RNAS Triplanes that were transferred to the French government, but it was later returned with its original serial number
The first Sopwith-built production Triplane, N5420, was sent as a sample to Clayton & Shuttleworth, who were also contractors for the type
Flight Lieutenant FHM Maynard of No.1 (Naval) in a presentation aircraft, Philippine Island Britons No.1
N5429, of No.1 (Naval) was flown by German pilots after capture
Triplane N5429 was attached to No 1 Naval Squadron and was brought down by the Germans on 13 September 1917 while being flown by Flight Sublieutenan Wilford and captured. The aircraft was repainted in German markings and test flown
Before N5430 suffered its accident on March 12 1918 its serial number had been repainted as A 5430. It is not known why this was done
N5430 was the only Triplane delivered to the Royal Flying Corps. The aircraft was used to intercept raiders while at Orfordness and was modified with an Aldis gun sight mounted above Vickers gun
The only Triplane to see service in the Aegean area was N5431, seen here at Mudros, probably in March 1917
N5431 after repair at Mudros following a landing accident on March 26 1917. Its fin, probably of local manufacture, now has a straight upper/leading edge
The rebuilt N5431 with a Lewis gun mounted to fire over the propeller arc
FSL Melling's Sopwith Triplane N5431 at either Mudros or Mitylene
N5445 had twin Vickers guns installed much as on the F.1 Camel
This side view of N5445 cleraly shows how much larger than standard this Triplane's rudder was, and the deeper top decking and cockpit contours can be seen
15 Sopwith Triplanes of No.1 (Naval) Squadron at Bailleul in July 1917
N5454 flown by FSL CHB Jenner-Parson of Naval Eight
Hilda was a Sopwith Triplane assigned to No 8 Naval Air Squadron during early 1917
This Sopwith Triplane was one of several aircraft supplied to the French government. The aircraft carries a White 3 on the fuselage side
Triplanes of the French naval escadrille, lined up at Dunkerque
At least 17, probably 18, Sopwith Triplanes were delivered to the French Aviation maritime and equipped a French naval escadrille at Dunkerque
French Triplane having a 110-hp Le Rhone 9J engine in place of the Clerget
This aircraft is a flying replica of a Sopwith Triplane based at Old Warden, Bedford. The aircraft carries the full Sopwith company logo on the fin in Black
On the few production Triplanes that were built with twin Vickers gun the armament was installed fully exposed, as seen here
A group of naval officers watch a Sopwith Triplane on its approach for landing on the grass field at Chingford
This Sopwith Triplane reproduction is displayed by the National Aviation Museum at Rockcliffe Airport, Ontario, Canada
Only Naval Squadrons had the 150-hp Bentley BR1 Camels for at least some of the time
Prototype F.1/3 at Martlesham Heath Experimental Station
Prototype F.1/3 at Martlesham Heath Experimental Station
Prototype crashed by Sous-Leitenant Canivet, in France
This Sopwith Camel once belonged to Hollywood film maker and aerobatic pilot, Frank Tallman. The aircraft carried the serial N6524 and was used in a large number of Hollywood aviation motion pictures including the Warner Brothers film, "Hell Bent for Glory"
N6332, one of the initial production batch
US Navy F.1 A5721, March 1920 at Guantanamo, Cuba
Jacobsen standing in front of one of his victims, a Camel of 70 Squadron, B2307. 19 August 1917
Lt. E G Forder, was taken prisoner by Austro-Hungary in B2455 on May 11 1918
B3881 of 'A' Flight, No.9 (Naval) Squadron
Lt. O C Le Boutillier of No.9 (Naval) Squadron with B3883 on August 4 1917
No.8 (Naval) Squadron at Mont-St-Eloi early in 1918
B3922 of Naval Eight at Manstone in Autumn 1918
This Camel (B3926) of the Royal Naval Air Service was named Happy Hawkins and based at RNAS Sandown on the Isle of Wright during 1918. It was flown by D.M.B.Galbraith (DSC and Bar) an ace with fourteen victories to his credit while attached to No 8 Naval Squadron. He later served with No 204 Training Depot Station at Eastchurch
B3950 running its Clerget engine
This Camel Tsing Tau carried an undersize serial number (B5243) on the rear fuselage in White and the Eagle insignia of the Royal Naval Air Service
2/Lt. G A O Manley was captured in B5417
B6234 on No.3 Squadron with a Clerget engine
Captain M B Frew logged at least ten combat in B6372
Lieutenant C J Kent's 130hp Clerget 9B Camel, B6385 No.3 Squadron, RFC, after capture in November
B6398 at No.10 Training Depot Station, Harling Road
Camels of No.3 (Naval) Squadron, Dunkerque, February 1918
The upper wing of thi Camel F.1 (B7380) was painted to represent the Egyptian god Behudet. The aircraft was the 1,000th aircraft off the Ruston Proctor production line, being delivered on 4 January 1918. The Camel carried the name Ruston Proctor on the cowl
2/Lt. W H Maxted of No.3 Squadron 'C' Flight with Le Rhone engined B7905
Sopwith Camel, 73 Squadron, shot down 1 September, probably by Oblt Robert Greim, Jasta 34b
Captain C M McEwen, MC, DFC, of No.28 Squadron, RAF, with D8239, post-Armistice
D9443 of No.3 Squadron in German hands
This Sopwith Camel F1 was named DIMPS III and carried highly colorful markings
E9968 was a dual-control two-seater of the South Eastern Area Flying Instructors' School at Shoreham
Major H V Champion de Crespigny, MC, DFC, with Lt. A G Jones-Williams, MC and Camel F3991, aircraft 'V' of No.65 Squadron, RAF
F4017 while at No.204 TDS, Eastchurch
This F.1 Camel (F6302) survived the war and was entered on the British Civil Register on 9 August 1922 as G-EBER. The aircraft crashed some three month later on 4 November and was totally destroyed
H7386 was a late-production Camel built by Hooper & Co.
A Sopwith Camel undergoing engine maintenance
The unmistakable first form of the Dolphin (with frontal radiator and deep fuselage to match). The original aircraft at Brooklands, May 1917
At right, with an RFC officer, is Tom Sopwith
View of the revised Dolphin, again with emphasis on the radiator.
Three aspects of the Dolphin in its exceptionally interesting second form with radiators let in to the roots of the upper wings, cut-outs in the bottom wings, and with horn-balanced rudder.
The radiators themselves are barely visible, even in a revised, larger, and more forward form (front view), though the 3/4 rear view shows associated fairings having vents projecting from their peaks.
In the front view (Sopwith No. S.132, captioned '2nd Machine') the rear cut-outs in the bottom wings may be transparent, with the horizontal tail surfaces showing dimly through them. Nevertheless, they mark a definite 'kink' in the trailing edge. (In this view also there are vibration-preventers for the inner main bracing wires).
The White square on the fuselage of this Dolphin (C8049) identifies it as being assigned to No 79 Squadron at Bickendorf during March 1918. The aircraft carries the individual identification letter Y in White, which is repeated on the upper fuselage cocking
Though not instantly apparent (perhaps because of the distracting Lewis guns) the fourth form of the Dolphin had a shallower fuselage fore and aft of the cockpit. This form set the pattern for production. B6871
B7855 of No.19 Squadron at Bertangles
Lt. H E Snyder of No.79 Squadron in B7927 at Ste-Marie-Cappel
Unidentified Sopwith Dolphin (possibly C3816) at Beaulieu in early 1918. As an operational type the aircraft replaced Spads in a number of fighter Squadrons; some were armed with two Vickers plus two Lewis guns giving them a formidable armament.
C3854 of No.2 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery, Marske
C3862 of No.141 (Home Defence) Squadron
Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin C3872 'D' of 23 Sqn showing typical markings carried by the squadron
This Dolphin (C3905) was captured and stripped of its wheel covers and tires. The aircraft was formerly assigned to No 23 Squadron. The Squadron marking was a White individual letter on a Black disc
C3942 of No.141 (Home Defence) Squadron
C8043 with No.79 Squadron, RAF, at Bickendorf in 1919
C8043 with No.79 Squadron, RAF, at Bickendorf in 1919
C8154 a home-based aircraft of a training unit
Dolphin III with 'de-geared' 200-hp Hispano-Suiza engine
Assigned to No 79 Squadron this Dolphin (D3584) was built by Hooper, a builder of customized car bodies. The aircraft was flown by F.W.Gilette
D3615, with 300-hp Hispano-Suiza engine
"Дельфин" из 87-го дивизиона RAF, август 1918 г.
The Sopwith Dolphin was designed to give the pilot the best possible field of view - hence the low setting of the upper wing - early trials showed great promise in speed and manoeuvrability (the first Martlesham tests having taken place in mid 1917). It was January 1918 before the first fully equipped unit, 19 Squadron, was operational in France. D3775 is seen here with 73 Squadron.
Supine S marking on No.87 Squadron Dolphin which had two outboard Lewis guns, one on each lower wing
The Dolphin's normal armament consisted of twin forward firing Vickers .303 machine guns aimed with the aid of an Aldis gunsight
The ultimate production version of the Snipe, with horn-balanced ailerons and the large fin and rudder
This superb Sopwith study has the maker's caption "S.20 - Sopwith Snipe 200 hp - Type 7.F.1 - 1st. Machine'.
The first Snipe prototype with B.R.2 engine, single-bay wings, narrow centre-section, and flat-sided fuselage. The fin and rudder were similar to those of the Camel (This Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe is believed to be the second prototype which differed from production variants in having a slab-sided fuselage. The Snipe was regarded as the ultimate wartime Sopwith fighter)
The first Snipe prototype with B.R.1 engine
The third Sopwith Snipe prototype with experimantal tapered tailplane and elevators. The upper wing has horn-balanced ailerons, and the fin and rudder are of the shape which was standrtised for the later production Snipe
This 'Dragonfly Snipe' - B9967 - was completed as early as April 1918 and was the precursor of the similar aeroplane that was later renamed Dragon.
E6531 was a two-seat Snipe used for training during the early 1920s. The aircraft is overall Aluminium dope. The fuselage band is believed to be Red, while the stripe along the fuselage is Black
This overall Aluminium doped 7F.1 Snipe from No 5 Flying Training School at Sealand during the early 1920s was piloted by Flying Officer the Earl of Bandon
This Sopwith Snipe is believed to have been assigned to No 55 Squadrin during the unit's deployment to Iraq
Snipe E.8068 fitted with hydrovane, Isle of Grain, 1918
E8102 was the Sopwith 7F.1 Snipe flown by MAJ W.G.Barker during the engagement on 27 October 1918 that won him the Victoria Cross. The aircraft was salvaged following the fight and the fuselage is still preserved in Canada
Major Goerge Barker's Sopwith Snipe E 8102
This Snipe (F2336) of 208 Squadron is a late production aircraft which featured horn balanced upper ailerons. The aircraft has a locally produced modification, a small conical shaped propeller spinner
Tied down on the grass at Aulnoy airfield, this Snipe (F2341) has a bomb on the fuselage centerline. The aircraft was used in the ground attack role
This Silver Doped Sopwith Snipe carried an Indian Head marking on the fin
HANRIOT HD.1 Hd. 7517, 76th Squadriglia, ARE, 1917
A colorfully-marked Italian HD.1. The Vickers machine gun, which was originally offset, was relocated to the centerline of the fuselage in order to improve the pilot's access to the gun in flight and make aiming easier
HD.1 in service with the Belgian air force. The Aeronautique Militaire Belge ordered 79 Hanriot HD.1s in 1917
Production of the HD.1 was undertaken by Hanriot only to meet orders from Belgium.
HD.1 in Belgian service. The Aeronautique Militaire Belge ordered 79 Hanriot HD.1s in 1917
Belgian HD.1 serial number 12 of Thistle Escadrille
HD.1 showing cooling holes in cowling
Morane-Saulnier Type N Le Vengeur serial MS 388 of pilot Eugene Gilbert
Morane-Saulnier Type N serial MS 397 in August 1915
Morane-Saulnier Type N, probably at the Morane-Saulnier factory. The airscrew is armored and the aircraft is armed with a single Hotchkiss machine-gun
This Nieuport 10 single seater, wearing French colors, carries the number 237 on the rudder. The V struts can be seen between the upper and lower wing. Armament is a single, centrally mounted, overwing Lewis gun
237 has a French roundel painted on the fuselage side, highly unusual for a French aircraft. Another Nie.10 stands in the background
A Nieuport 10 N237 in French Service. French Nieuports usually did not carry roundels on the fuselage
A carry over from the days of the two seater, the Nieuport 10 has the characteristic look of an elongated two seater fuselage
Первый невооруженный прототип "Ньюпора-11" с французскими военными эмблемами, 1915 г. The unarmed and unnumbered Nieuport 11 prototype. The elevators were smaller than those which would later become standard and the spread of the undercarriage V braces are somenhat greater here. The rear center section struts just in front of the cockpit are an inverted 'U' shape, probably to improve the view from the cockpit. The national markings are French
N1135 was a Nie 11 serving with Escadrille N.26. This aircraft was lost on July 9, 1916
This Nie.11 (N1317), operating with a French unit in the Dardanelles, is having its 80-hp Le Rhone rotary engine serviced
It is unclear what national markings this Nie.11 carries, but interestingly the aircraft armed with twin machine guns. The wheel discs are believed to have been red
One of several Nie.11s that fell into German hands and were test flown. The armament has been removed and a small cone de penetration has been added to the airscrew boss. The extreme inboard position of the national markings under the lower wing is unusual
Repainted with national insignia of its captors, this Nie.11 has had its armament removed. Other Nieuports which fell into Austrian hands were often renumbered and flown in action
Nieuport 11, probably Italian-built, after capture by Austro-Hungarian forces and bearing the Austro-Hungarian serial 00.27
Французский истребитель "Ньюпор-16" с ракетами Ле-Прие / The rocket armed N959 in German hands. The ornate letter 'R' on the fuselage side of N959 was the insignia of the pilot flying it at the time of its capture, Adjutant Henri Reserval. This machine was later test flown by a number of German pilots
The insignia of Escadrille N48, the head of a crowling cock can just barely be seen on the fuselage side of this Nie.17 number 1930
Nieuport 17, possibly of Escadrille N76. This Nieuport was built in large numbers and equipped many of the French fighter squadrons, as well as a variety of Allied units.
The triangular fanion on the fuselage of N1932 is the light blue and gold emblem of Escadrille N76. The colors were also used for the zig-zag on the rear fuselage. A personal marking which is possibly medium blue aft, extends over the decking
This Nie.17 numbered N2038 belonging to Escadrille N15 was named DEDETTE III and carried an elaborate helmet and plume in front of the numeral 7
By 1916 French air strength had become impressive, and with types such as the Nieuport and Spad the fighter units had capable equipment. The Nieuport 17, as N2474 here, was powered by a 110hp Le Rhone and had a top speed of 110mph (177kph).
A Nie.17, one of the single seat trainers used by a United States' flying training school in France, hence the retention of the tricolor roundels
Operated by Czarist Russia while wearing French colors, this machine was captured by the Germans. Its identity may have been N3389
Built in France to a Russian order, N1810 awaits transport east. National colors on the rudder from front to rear are white, blue and red
A view of a Nieuport Nie.25 with Nungesser in the cockpit. The onlookers appear to be Belgian officers.
Unnumbered prototype that had no dihedral
A refined development of the Nieuport 28 existed in prototype form
Sometimes mistaken, even by French writers, for the Nieuport 28, this later development of November/December 1917 had the 200 hp Clerget 11E engine
At least two aircraft were built with diedre total (full dihedral) on the upper wing. One of these bore the SFA serial number N4434
The other Nieuport 28 known to have the diedre total wing configuration was N6125
1/Lt. James Meissner's Nieuport N6144 following the incident in which its upper wing fabric tore away on May 2 1918
The sober looking 1/Lt. James Meissner stands beside N6144 after losing upper wing fabric on May 2 1918
1/Lt. William J Hoover and his ground crew stand before N6157, his Nieuport of the 27th Aero Sqdn.
Members of the 27th Aero Sqdn. gather behind Hoover's Nieuport N6157
Rickenbacker's 'White 12', the serial N6159
1/Lts. Eddie Rickenbacker, Douglas Campbell and 1/Lt. Kenneth Marr before a white-cowled Nieuport 28 of Rickenbacker's flight which may well be his own N6154
Captain Kenneth Marr beside Rickenbacker's Nieuport N6159
2/Lt. Alan Winslow stands beside John Wentworth's Nieuport N6168
1/Lt. Thorne C Taylor in N6180
Nieuport 28 N6168, undergoes engine maintenance at Gengoult in May 1918
1/Lt. William F Loomis' N6181 of the 94th Aero Sqdn.
Major G Raoul Lufbery beside his Nieuport N6193
Nieuport 28 6212, the former mount of 2/Lt. James F Ashenden, 147th Aero Squadron, USAS
'Pip' Porter's Nieuport N6250 after being flown and crash-landed - by 1/Lt. Abernethy
Nieuport N6250 undergoing repairs
Nieuport N6250 undergoing repairs
Nieuport 28 N6254 being painted in the markings of the 147th Aero Squadron
1/Lt. Kenneth W Porter beside Nieuport 28 N6256 of the 147th Aero Squadron
Nieuport 28s of the 27th Aero Sqdn., USAS
Members of the 27th Aero Sqdn. beside Nieuport 28 No.2, assigned to 1/Lt. Leo H Dawson at Toul in early June 1918
27th Aero Squadron's 'A' Flight at Saints aerodrome, August 1 1918, abount 25 minutes before the patrol in which six members of the squadron were lost
Nieuport of the 95th Aero Sqdn.
1/Lt. Edward Buford, Jr. stands before a Nieuport 28 of the 95th Aero Squadron
1/Lt. Johm Hambleton stands before his Nieuport of 95th Aero Sqdn's. 'C' Flight
1/Lt. James C Knowels stands before his Nieuport of 'A' Flight, 95th Aero Sqdn.
2/Lt. William E Brotherton beside a Nieuport 28 of the 147th Aero Sqdn.
1/Lt. George A S Robertson of the 147th Aero Squadron and his damaged Nieuport, N6232
Lt. C A McElvain (second from right) with his mechanics and Nieuport 28
The rat terrier emblem of the 147th Aero
Gnome Monosoupape engine of a Swiss Nieuport 28
A Nieuport 28 (or in French designation, XXVIIIC.1) fuselage is shown here without armament. In March, because guns had not yes supplied, the 95th and 94th Squadron pilots went over the lines in limited sorties near Villeneuve
The unusual SA.1 was the first of many SPAD fighter designs by Louis Bechereau.
Французский "Спад" A1. An early production S.A-1
SPAD SA.2 serial S.17 with pillar-type gun mount
Spad A-2, serial S.19 of an unidentified French unit, carried the name "MA JEANNE" (My Jean) on the fuselage side in Black
This Spad A-2 of the imperial Russian Air Service was equipped with skis for operations from snow covered airfields
This Spad A.2 served with the Imperial Russian Air Service and was fitted with skis for operations from snow covered airfields. This aircraft carries a rear view mirror attached to the rear fuselage cabane strut
Стойки гондолы крепились к шасси на шарнирах. Это позволяло открывать двигательный отсек для ремонта. (The front nacelle of the Spad A.2 pivoted around its lower attachment points to the undercarriage. The upper support struts detached allowing the nacelle to be lowered for engine maintenance. The small wire screen at the rear of the cockpit was designed to protect the observer from the propeller)
Photograph of an S.A-2, in which the observer has a Lewis gun
A Spad A Type that had overturned was not a pretty sight
This Russian S.A-4 fell into Austro-Hungarian hands on June 28 1917
A Ukrainian (formerly Russian) biplane of the Spad biplane type, with the airscrew in the middle of the body. Note should be taken of the special skids for running on snow.
The Russians flew the Spad A.2 and its sucessor the Spad A.4 long after the French had retired them - chiefly because there was a chronic shortage of aircraft within the Russian Air Service. This aircraft (serial S.79) is armed with a .303 Lewis machine gun
Russian Spad S.A-4, armed with a Colt machine-gun fitted with a Russian-made amunition box
This aircraft is believed to be the Spad V, prototype for the production Spad 7. The aircraft lacks national markings, has short individual exhaust stubs, and a smaller windscreen than production Spad 7s
This Spad 7 (S.111) was the first aircraft off the production line. The aircraft was later modified with a wide radiator cowling opening. A collector pipe was fitted to the engine exhaust stubs
Le Grand Chasseur, LT Georges Guynumer, the best known French ace of the war beside his first Spad 7 (S.113). This was the first of three Spad 7s flown by Guynemer, all of which carried the name Vieux Chales on the fuselage. The Stork marking of Escadrille Spa.3 was in Red with White details
CAPT Georges Guynemer in his third Spad 7 (serial S.254) on 25 May 1917. This aircraft was the first Spad 7 powered by the 180 hp Hispano-Suiza to be sent to the front. Guynemer gained nineteen of his fifty-four victories with this aircraft, which still exists. It was recently restored by the Musee de l'Air for display at Le Bourget
During 1976 Guynemer's Spad 7 (S.254) was displayed at the Armee de l'Air Academy at Salon-de-Provence. The aircraft was hung indoors, however, there was no attempt to restore the Spad until 1981, when it was turned over to the Musee de l'Air and completely restored
S.154 also carried tri-color stripes on the rear fuselage. The starboard section of the windscreen has been removed, a practice that was often done on the Spad 7 to provide easier access to the gun breech to clear jammed rounds. THis aircraft also carried roundels on the tailplane
This Spad 7 (S.239) of Spa.102 at Courbeaulieu during March of 1917 has the engine cowling access panels removed for maintenance. The fin has been painted a dark color and carries a personal marking, possibly consisting of the pilot's initials
LT Frederic Loiseau of N 561 in his Spad 7 (S.1068) at Lido airfield. The nose of this aircraft was White and the area around the cockpit is believed to have been Green, with a shield-like marking bearing Loiseau's initials. The charging Black elephant on the fuselage side was also a personal marking
This Spad 7 (S.1379) was assigned to Spa.65 and it is believed that the aircraft was assigned to ADJ Marcel Henriot. The diagonal stripes on the fuselage side just behind the winged dragon unit insignia are Red and White
This Spad 7 (serial S.1379) carries the Black Dragon of Spa.65 on the fuselage and is believed to have been flown by ADJ Marcel Henriot
Rene Fonk's Spad VII (S1461) with the Spa 103 'Stork' and the Roman IX number. Forced landing in May 1917
An early production Spad 7 (serial S.1837) on the airfield at Bar-le-Duc. The standard color scheme for early Spad 7s was overall clear dope on the fabric surfaces with the metal cowl panels painted Light Yellow to roughly match the doped fabric. The Yellow painted area extended to just behind the cockpit
These Spad 7s and 13s of an unidentified French Escadrille de Chasse parked on a forward French airfield are in the process of having the unit insignia painted on the fuselage. In the foreground is a Spad 7 (S.5190), while behind is a Kellner-built Spad 13 (S.4567)
Another view of a 'shark mouth' marking on this crunched Spad VII of Spa 67
Spad VII of Spa 103. Note the Le Prieur rocket tubes on the wing struts
Ground crews bore-sight the Vickers machine gun of a Spad 7 into a hillside firing pit at a French airfield on the Marne during April of 1917
This Spad 7 was one of a number of Spads that were exported to Czechoslovakia. The aircraft served with the Czechoslovakian Air Force during 1920 and had the landing gear struts faired over in an attempt to increase the aircraft's top speed
SPAD VII Ltn Decaix, Escadrille Spa.150
This crashed Spad 7 is believed to have been assigned to Escadrille Spa.67. The aircraft has a pair of eyes painted on the cylinder head fairings. The large square and circular cutouts in the fuselage engine access panels were done to provide additional cooling air to the engine
Spad 7s from various Escadrilles de Chasse on the airfield at Ham. The Spad in the foreground is assigned to Spa.31, while immediately behind it is an aircraft belonging to Spa.48
This Spad 7 of an unknown Italian unit carries an inscription on the fuselage side which reads T veclo...!!! (old man in the Venetian dialect). The fighter in the background is an Ansaldo S.V.A.5
LT Rudolf Windisch of Jasta 66 in the cockpit of a captured Spad 7. LT Windisch flew the Spad in combat with German markings, howeverm he retained the dragon marking and tri-color wing stripes of its former owners, Escadrille Spa.65, on the fuselage side
This Spad 7 was experimentally equipped with a 150 hp Renault engine which required extensive modifications to the aircraft's nose in order to accomodate the 60 angle of the engine's cylinder banks, The engine was not selected for production Spad 7s
This Spad 7, fitted with a non-standard windscreen, carries no armament and is believed to have been used as a training aircraft. The marking on the fuselage is believed to be a personal insignia
An RAF ground crewman demonstrates the use of a Hucks starter truck to start the engine of this Italian Spad 7. The British demonstrated the Hucks starter to the Italian during the mid-1920s
The small cowling opening of the Spad 7 caused engine cooling problems during warmer weather. Eventually the opening was enlarged, however, before this was done a number of field modifications were tried, including drilling extra cooling holes in the cowling as on this Spad 7
This early Spad 7 reveals the single Vickers machine gun, wrap-around windscreen, and early cowling opening. The two teardrop shaped fairings are the covers for the engine cylinder heads and the fairing between the upper wing and the fuselage covered the gravity fuel tank and radiator header tank piping
During cold weather, early Spad 7s experienced problems keeping the engines warm enough. A number of field modifications were tried to correct this problem including fitting the radiator with a solid metal cover, such as on this Spad 7
This Spad 7 belonged to an unidentified French pilot who wanted no one to mistake his nationality. The aircraft carries French roundels on the fuselage, wings, and horizontal tail plane. Additionally, he had broad Red, White and Blue stripes painted on the fuselage sides. The reason for this was to avoid possible confusion with German Albatros D.I and D.II Fighters
Caporal Stuart Walcott and a Spad 7 at the G.D.E., Plessis-Belleville, France, October 1917
SPAD VII 4 colour camouflage pattern as used by de Marcay
SPAD VII 5-colour camouflage
After the Spad 12 was delivered to Guynemer, he added the name Vieux Chales and a diagonal White stripe to the fuselage sides. The individual aircraft number, 2, was in Black
Georges Guynemer in the deep cockpit of the first Spad 12 (S.382). Guynemer personally conducted much of the flight testing on the Spad 12
Guynemer displays his avion magique to General Francet d'Esperey at La Bonne Maison on 5 July 1917. Earlier that day, Guynemer had flown the first combat mission with the Spad 12, during which the aircraft was damaged. The wings of S.382 have been removed, pending its transport to Buc for repairs
An early Spad 12 (S.434) parked on a French airfield. Most units had one or two Spad 12s assigned to them, with instructions to allow the best pilots in the unit to fly the aircraft. This Spad 12 is believed to have been painted overall Light Grey
This Spad 12 (S.440) reveals the plywood pocket extensions that were fitted to the wing tips trailing edges of Spad 12s to square off the wings. Later, new wings incorporating square tips were introduced onto the production line
The other Spad 12 assigned to Fonck was S.445. Fonck's personal number, VI, was carried on the rear fuselage and repeated on the port upper wing surface in Red, outlined in White. The White-outlined Red star on the starboard wing was the former unit insignia of Spa.103
Spad 12s were progressively modified during production with new engines and other improvements. This late Spad 12 is powered by a 220 hp Hispano-Suiza 8Bc engine and has the louvered engine access panels removed for maintenance
This Spad 12 was flown by the commanding officer of the 13th Aero Squadron, United States Air Service, MAJ Charles J. Biddle
This early Spad 12 reveals the revised cowling which lacked the prominent cylinder head fairings and repositioned exhaust stacks which were lower on the fuselage sides than on the earlier Spad 7. This aircraft eas a test machine and had the fuselage undersurfaces painted Black
This camouflaged late production Spad 12 has been modified with squared off wings tips. The Vickers machine gun on the Spad 12 was offset much further to starboard than the gun on the earlier Spad 7
Two Spad 12s (foreground) share the field with five Spad 7s, at Reserve Generale de l'Aviation (RGA) airfield while awaiting delivery to French Escadrilles de Chasse. The two aircrafts carry different color schemes; the aircraft on the left is painted an overall dark color, while the aircraft on the right has been camouflaged
This early Spad 13 is believed to have been one of the twenty pre-production aircraft built during early 1917. These aircraft had a more tapered engine cowling than the Spad 12 and also reintroduced the teardrop-shaped cylinder bank fairings, similar to those used on the Spad 7
Among the first French aces to fly the Spad 13 in combat was Guynemer, who was assigned Spad 13 (S.504) in September of 1917. Guynemer was lost flying this aircraft on 11 September. S.504 bears the Stork insignia of Spa.3 (White with Black wings) and Guynemer's personal number, 2 on the fuselage side, however, it did not carry the name Vieux Charles
This Spad 13 (S.512), one of the first twenty pre-production aircraft built, was used for official tests by the Section Technique del'Aeronautique at Villacoubly from March through September of 1917
This Spad 13 (S.1893), flown by ADJ Jacques Roques of Spa.48, carries the later form of the unit's Fighting Cock insignia. The radiator cowling and the arc around the insignia are Blue, while Roqies' personal number, 7, is in Red
An eearly Spad 13 (S.1895) of Escadrille Spa.48, which was flown by ADJ Jacques Roques
This early Spad 13 (S.1929) reveals the rounded wing tips that were common on early production Spad 13s. An unusual feature of this particular Spad 13 is that all the wing ribs have been taped. This aircraft also has a rear-view mirror on the upper wing center section
This Bleriot-built Spad 13 (S.2179) is believed to have been assigned to Escadrille N 561 based at Lido Aerodrome, near Venice, Italy. Pilot in the cockpit is thought to be Xavier Garros
CAPT Edward V (Eddie) Rickenbacker, America's leading ace, in the cockpit of his Spad 13 (S.4523) of the 94th Aero Squadron. The Hat-in-the-Ring unit marking was carried on both sides of the fuselage along with a White numeral 1 outlined in Red, which was repeated on the starboard upper wing surface. Rickenbacker scored twenty-one of his twenty-six victories in this aircraft
These Spad 7s and 13s of an unidentified French Escadrille de Chasse parked on a forward French airfield are in the process of having the unit insignia painted on the fuselage. In the foreground is a Spad 7 (S.5190), while behind is a Kellner-built Spad 13 (S.4567)
Components for at least two Spad 13s, including S.7542, prepare to leave the Kellner production plant. The aircraft were shipped by truck to a reassembly RGA where they were delivered to French fighter units
CAPT Robert Soubiran standing next to his Spad 13 (S.7714) of the 103rd Aero Squadron (formerly the Lafayette Escadrille). The Indian head unit marking was framed by a White-outlined Red diamond. The diamond was repeated on the horizontal tailplane, but without the White outline, and a tri-color stripe was added to the fuselage and radiator cowling
This Kellner-built Spad 13 (S.16541) was flown by MAJ Robert L. Walsh of the 22nd Aero Squadron, USAS. The fuselage number was Red, outlined in White, and the radiator cowling was Blue. This aircraft was a companion to the one which is now in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington
The pilot of this early Spad 13 assigned to Spa.3 waits while a ground crewman checks the guns before starting the engine. The pilot at the extreme left is believed to be Guynemer
Spad 13C.1, Sergeant Henry Foster, Spa.15, July 1918
Spads of Spa.68 are neatly lined up on a French airfield. The two aircraft in the background is a Spad 7. The French horn on the fuselage side is the unit insignia for Spa.68. The horn and the individual aircraft number are repeated on the upper wing surface
ADJ Marius Blanc in the cockpit of his Spad 13. Blanc was assigned to Spa.81, Fighting Greyhounds. The Greyhound insignia was one of the most attractive unit insignias used by French forces during the war
A Bleriot-built Spad 13 of Spa.81 carries the running Greyhound squadron insignia. It was flown by ADJ Marius Blanc
This Spad 13 was assigned to Spa.84, which was also part of the French Occupational Forces stationed in Germany during 1919
This late production Spad 13, believed to have been assigned to Spa.89, was brought down intact by LT Albert Hausmann of Jasta 13 in August of 1918. The aircraft was repainted in German markings and was test flown by Jasta 13
Jean Lucas alongside a late production Spad 13 of Spa.97. The wooden fairing around the drag wire which runs from the top of the forward cabane strut to the top of the fuselage has the appearance of an additional strut. The individual number, 12, in White on the fuselage side was also repeated on the upper starboard wing
Marechal des Logis Rene de Liniere alongside his Spad 13 of Spa.103. Spa.103 was part of the Allied Occupational Forces at Neustadt, Germany during the Spring of 1919. The Spad in the foreground is thought to be a Kellner-built aircraft fitted with a non-standard windscreen
This Spad 13 served with the 2nd Air Regiment of the Czechoslovakian Air Force during 1925. The national insignia under the wing is a representation of the Czech flag
French officers prepare a Bernard-built Spad 13 for a demonstration flight in Japan. The Spad was part of the French Aeronautical Mission to Japan during 1919. The following year, the Japanese Army Air Force adopted the Spad 13 as its standard fighter under the designation Hei 1
S.P.A.D., along with eight different subcontractors were involved in the production of the Spad 13. The aircraft factories of that period appear very primitive when compared with a modern aero-space plant. It is difficult to believe that thousands of Spads were built under such conditions
This Spad at Thionville during 1923, the last year the Spad served with French military aviation. By this time most of the Spads that remained in service were being used as advanced training aircraft
This photo from an instruction manual shows the SPAD 13 armament from rear. Ammunition was fed from boxes below and inside the fuselage. Gun cocking handles are just forward of the windshield. Ammunition gave serious problems with belts sticking and poor cartridge sizing, conditions which could not be fixed in flight
На S.7 патроны снаряжались в матерчатую ленту, которая наматывалась на барабан. Питание пулеметов "Виккерс" на S.13 сделано по "британской" схеме - с металлической составной патронной лентой. Патронная коробка с этими лентами находится между пулеметами. (Front view of the Vickers machine guns on SPAD 13 with engine cowling removed. Vibrations from recoil, coupled with other shocks from poorly operating engines created fuel and oil pipe leaks in nearly every flight. Constant checking and fine-tuning of the Hispano-Suiza engines, and replacement of pipeage, oil and fuel tanks was required)
Прототип истребителя "Альбатрос" D.I
The Albatros DI prototype with vertical exhaust pipe and unbalanced elevator.
The Albatros Dl was introduced to counter the DH2 and early Nieuports that had proven superior to the Fokker Eindeckers. Along with the DII they became standard equipment lor the new fighter units - the Jastas.
Захваченный англичанами на месте вынужденной посадки "Альбатрос" D.I лейтенанта Бюттнера из 2-й истребительной эскадрильи германских ВВС / Side view of Albatros destroyer, type D.I, 1916-17.
The Jastas were highly successful in regaining air superiority at any point on the front to which they were attached; however, the problem was that there were simply not enough of them to cover all areas. This Albatros Dl belonged to Karl Buttner of Jasta 2 in late 1916.
A D II licence-built by LVG. The modestly staggered wing cellule is well shown by this photo.
Пулеметы "Шпандау" являлись германской копией американского "Максима". Водяное охлаждение ствола было заменено на воздушное
Пфальц E I зачастую путают с Моран-Солнье Н и даже с Фоккером E III.
The Pfalz E I was broadly based on the Morane-Saulnier Type H and began to arrive at the Front from late October 1915.
Pfalz E.II 454/15. The Pfalz and Fokker Eindecker monoplane fighters were the world's first truly successful fighters and had a profound effect on the development of air power.
Restricted to a small series, the E IV saw little frontline use owing to its shortcomings.
"Пфальц" E.IV с двумя синхронными пулеметами LMG 08.
На фотографии изображен Пфальц DIII, у которого снята вся обшивка, за исключением алюминиевой.
"Пфальц" D.XII с заводским номером 1491/18.
Один из последних "пфальцев" D.XII, собранных в конце войны. Эта машина не успела попасть на фронт и в числе других была выдана французам по условиям компьеньского мирного соглашения.
Gerhard Fieseler in a Jasta 25 D.IIa. This "A" marked airplane was usually flown by Ltn. Ahlefeld and Fieseler is thought to have had his own machine marked with an "F".
Jasta 25's LFG Roland D II single seat fighters lined up on their Catnatlarzi base in Macedonia during 1917. First flown in October 1916, the twin 7.92mm Spandau armed D II was built in far greater quantities than either of the company's D I or D III designs. Like the D I, the D II used a 160hp Mercedes D III that gave a top level speed of 105mph at sea level. Entering service in early 1917, a total of around 300 D IIs are believed to have been built, both by LFG and Pfalz. The machine was not unconditionally loved by its pilots, who found it particularly sensitive, especially in the yawing plane. Incidentally, this image, showing as it does no less than ten D IIs, goes some way to refute the often made claim that no unit seems to have been exclusively D II-equipped.
This Pfalz-built D.IIa (possibly 374/17) was photographed on the Eastern Front, possibly as part of the equipment of the Jagdkommando of Fl.Abt.(A)220.
"Роланд" D.II, построенный на заводе LFG.
SSW D.III из эскадрильи Kest 5, август 1918 г.
Второй серийный экземпляр SSW D.III на заводском аэродроме.
The D III, the photo depicting a first series aircraft in February 1918.
The D IV attained operational service in small quantities from August 1918.
Пулеметы устанавливались на фюзеляже, внутри находились патронные ящики и емкости для сбора стреляных гильз и звеньев металлической ленты.
The longer "bathtub" cockpit of the M.5K/MG (E.1) is quite evident. This aircraft was serialed 46/15.
Носовая часть "Фоккера" Е.III без обшивки. Хорошо виден ротативный мотор "Оберурсель", топливный бак, ручной бензонасос и синхронный пулемет LMG 08 с коробом для патронной ленты.
The E IV was more powerful and more heavily armed than preceding fighting scouts, but its success at the Front was limited.
"Фоккер" Е.IV из "полевого авиаотряда" FildFliegerAbteilung 19, 1916 год.
Раскапотированная носовая часть фюзеляжа "Фоккера" E.IV с двухрядным 14-цилиндровым ротативным двигателем "Оберурсель" U.III и максимальным набором вооружения - тремя синхронными пулеметами LMG 08.
Fokker M16E of 1915. To be historically accurate it is the Fokker M16 Karausche. The E (= Einsteilig) is a spurious designation added after WW1. You know it, there was also a two-bay Fokker M16, which got the spurious designation M16Z.
Прототипом D I был опытный самолет М18. Его конструктивной "изюминкой" было установленное на фюзеляже верхнее крыло. На фотографии - Э. Фоккер, обычно выполнявший первый полет при испытаниях нового самолета.
Серийный "Фоккер" D.II с синхронным пулеметом LMG 08/15.
Опытный экземпляр "Фоккера" с уменьшенным размахом крыльев и одностоечной бипланной коробкой.
"Фоккер" D.V без вооружения на немецком полевом аэродроме. Эта машина использовалась в 1917-18 гг. для тренировки летного состава.
"Фоккер" D.V без вооружения на немецком полевом аэродроме. Эта машина использовалась в 1917-18 гг. для тренировки летного состава.
Лейтенанты Баумер и фон Хиппель возле "Фоккера" D.V, принадлежавшего 5-й истребительной эскадрилье (Jasta 5) германских ВВС.
Один из первых экземпляров "Фоккера" Dr.I с заводским номером 115/17, западный фронт, сентябрь 1917 г.
The Fokker Dr1 was, despite its obvious failings, well liked by many of the pilots, a number of whom were reluctant to trade in their mounts even when technically superior fighters became available. It was one of those aircraft that acquired a mystique, a mystique that still survives today!
"Фоккер" D.VII №461/18 на испытаниях в Адлерсхофе.
"Фоккер" E.V оберлейтенанта Эриха Ловенхардта, август 1918г.
Первый прототип "Хальберштадта". Январь 1916 года
Derived from the D I, the D II was built in small numbers by three companies in 1916.
Техник демонстрирует легкость фюзеляжа "Хальберштадта" D.II.
Хальберштадт D.II. Западный фронт, 1916 год
Handley Page O/100. Prototype O/100 with modified elevator balancers. The small biplane is a Bristol Scout C
Handley Page O/100 1459 showing its mottled camouflage
The 0/100 No.3117 with four Hispano-Suiza engines of 200 h.p. each
Handley Page O/100. The first prototype, No. 1455, modified to production standard
Handley Page 0/400 of 214 Squadron, RAF, at Dunkirk airfield, after a night sortie in which it suffered flack damage
American-built O/400 with Liberty 12 engines
The AEG GIV with the 260hp Mercedes DIVa entered service towards the end ol the year and continued in use until mid 1918. This example is a captured aircraft.
Three-quarter Rear View of the A.E.G. G.IV Bomber. 1918 type.
Пилотская кабина R VI. Широкие окна предоставляли хороший обзор. Впереди виден лаз в носовую открытую площадку, на которой размещалась пулеметная установка.
An F.K.8, A2696, fitted experimentally with a 150 hp Lorraine-Dietrich engine.
F.K.8 with R.A.F 4a engine and B.E.12-type exhausts
Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8. Beardmore engine with early type of cowling
Armstrong Whitworth FK8 B3312 preparing for a photographic flight
Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8. Late production version with vee undercarriage and small radiators
Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8. Beardmore engine in improwed cowling
An observer in an FK8 of an unknown unit
Armstrong Whitworth FK8 machines with the rounded cowling
Built by the Vilcan Motor & Engineering Company, and carryinhg the company logo on the interplane struts, B9395 of No 49 Squadron RAF was "The Mackenzie Toolocmbah, Presented"
C1230 made a force landing due to engine failure at the School for Aerial Fighting
This aircraft, serial C2161, was one of eighty D.H.9s built by the sub-contractor Berwick & Company of Park Royal, North West London. The aircraft was used at a gunnery school, possibly at Marske
The first D.H.9 produced by Airco, C6051, during its test period in November 1917
D.H.9, C.6078, with prototype Napier Lion engine
D.H.9, C.6078, with the first production Napier Lion engine
C6078 was the first D.H.9 to be fitted with a 430 hp Napier Lion engine
C6109 was among the first production D.H.9s to go to France. It was one of the five sent abroad in late February of 1918. It was operated by No 27 Squadron RAF at Ruisseaville during 1918. On 16 June it was lost in action, with its crew, 2nd Lieutenant H.Wild and Sergeant E.Scott being killed
A standard production D.H. 9, C6277, powered by a Siddeley Puma engine with exhaust pipe extending upwards to discharge over the top wing; this aircraft, possibly of No 99 Squadron, shows the radiator extended beneath the nose.
C6277 is believed to have served at one time at the Biggin Hill Wireless Experimental Establishment as a flying test bed
"Britons in Chili No 1" was serialed D1177 and carried the name on the fuselage side in White from 28 December 1918 on. It was assigned to No 120 Squadron RAF after being previously on strength with No 98 Squadron during March of 1918. The D.H.9 was used as a mail-carrier and survived at least until 18 January 1919
Standard production D.H.9 built by Mann, Egerton & Co.
A standard Puma engined D.H.9 of No 211 Squadron, RAF during 1918
Although claimed by some sources to show Lieutenants Gregson and Gaylord with D2803, this is unconfirmed
This D.H.9 served with No 221 Squadron, RAF in Russia during late 1918. Later served with the White Russian Forces in August of 1919
This is Airco-built D.H.9 (serial D2904), but the reason for the United States star insignia on the cowling is unknown. Certainly it was never flown by the U.S.Army. From a comparision of tonal values it is believed that the fin, balance area of the rudder and wheels were Red, with a White outline. The lower longerons and parts of the decking and nose are clear dope
Subscribed for as "Rigger Parish No 4" according to the nose inscription, D3259 was an Airco-built D.H.9 from a batch which included a number of aircraft that were delivered to overseas air forces
The nose of this D.H.9 was marked with the presentation legend, "Royal Marines Plymouth" in White on the nose. It appears to have its serial marked mounted on a strip of fabric (which is a slightly different color than the background) and is unusual in that it has a dot after the prefix. It is believed that D.5656 is probably not its true identity
D.H.9 (serial D5816) carried the presentation legend "Faridkot No 3". This Indian presentation aircraft was constructed by Waring & Gillow and served with No 206 Squadron, RAF. 2nd Lieutenants T.Percival and Lowthian were both injured when it crashed on 7 August 1918
"The Scarborough Volunteer" was marked with the fake serial F1203. The aircraft is believed to actually be a Waring & Gillow built D.H.9 (serial D5838)
D.H.9 (F1255), probably on the tarmac at Bickendor
Breguet 14 A2 with a Fiat engine in flight
Breguet 14 in flight. This aircraft carries the French five-color camouflage scheme
Breguet AV 1 prototype which was developed into the Breguet 14 via the Breguet AV 2
Breguet AV 1 prototype which was developed into the Breguet 14 via the Breguet AV 2
AV 1 , also designated the Breguet 13 by the STAe
Breguet AV 2 which was the second prototype of the Breguet 14 series
The Breguet AV 2 fitted with balanced ailerons
Breguet 14 A2 of BR 209 which was assigned to the 3rd Armee. The escadrille's insignia was a cockatoo
Breguet 14 A2 of BR 220. Pilot is Serrant, observer Dreyfus. The machine gun mounted on the top wing is a field modification
Breguet 14 A2 serial 779 of BR 202 named Gabrielle
Breguet 14 A2 at hte airfield of No.4 Squadron AFC, 1918
Breguet 14 A2 serial 9060 which was fitted with a Liberty engine
Breguet 14 B2 serial BR 13005 of BR 134. The observer's windows were on either side of his cockpit. This late Michelin-built machine lacks the trailing-edge flaps on the lower wing. The engine is a Liberty
Breguet 14 A2 serial 16156 with the Breguet Moreux radiator
Breguet 14 A2 serial 16156 with a Renault engine and a Breguet Moreux radiator
Breguet 14 B2 of the 96th Aero Squadron of the 1st Day Bombardment Group
Breguet 14 A2 of the 96th Aero Squadron of the 1st Day Bombardment Group
Breguet 14 of the 96th Aero Squadron of the 1st Day Bombardment Group in flight
Two Breguet 14 A2s of the 96th Aero Squadron of the 1st Day Bombardment Group
Breguet 14 A2 of the 96th Aero Squadron with a model of the Breguet 14 on the wing
Breguet 14 A2 Jane IV of BR 209 flown by Capitaine De La Motte Ango De Flers in 1917
Breguet 14 B1 intended for Jules Vedrine's proposed raid on Berlin. However, the aircraft's range proved to be too marginal for the task and the raid was canceled
Breguet 14 B2 serial BR 1102 with Michelin bomb racks underneath the wings. This is an early Michelin-built machine. The fuselage windows are lower on the fuselage than on later machines
Breguet 14 B2 serial BR 1102
Breguet 14 B2 fitted with a 380-hp Liberty engine
Breguet 14 B2 serial 4599 showing its 300-hp Renault engine
Breguet 14 B2 serial 12079 of BR 123 showing a full complement of 50-kg and 75-kg bombs. The crewmen are identified as the Peyerimhoff brothers. This aircraft was built by Michelin
Voisin 5 serial number V.1310
Voisin 5 serial number V.1321
Вид на кабину экипажа Вуазена LA. Пилот самолета сидит под треногой с пулеметом "Кольт". В задней кабине летчик-наблюдатель держит пару авиабомб. Позади него возвышаются короба водорадиаторов.
Voisin 5. This aircraft was a Voisin 3 airframe fitted with a 150-hp Salmson P9 engine
Caudron G.4 of C 66 at Fretoy in 1917
Caudron G.4 in Belgian service
Caudron G.4 in Belgian service
Caudron G.4 preparing for takeoff. The aircraft is being loaded with lance bombs
A captured French Caudron G.IV
A French Caudron G.IV. Aircraft of this type equipped several of the corps escadrilles attached to the French VI Armee in April 1917
Прототип самолета внешне отличался отсутствием заголовника кабины пилота и жалюзи перед радиатором. (Experimental Salmson 2 fitted with a 260-hp engine. The aircraft underwent testing in 1917)
Salmson 2 of SAL 33; serial number 49. The pilot's name was Delavenne
Salmson 2 A2 serial number 513
Salmson 2 serial number 637 of SAL 59. This escadrille was assigned to the 10th Corps d'Armee
Salmson 2 A2 of the 1st Aero Squadron assigned to the 1st Corps Observation Group
Salmson 2 A2 of SAL 32. The escadrille was assigned to the 10th C.A. and was initially based at Montdidier
Salmson 2 of Col. Hamonic
A Salmson 2A2 of Sal.40, summer 1918
Paul Schmitt 7.B2 company number 33, serial 22 (always 11 less) fitted with Eteve gun mounting
Paul Schmitt P.S.7 serial PS 22. Note wheels in the centre section for the operation of the aileron.
Paul Schmitt on an airfield near Dunkerque. These appear to have wing-mounted Lewis guns and include serial numbers 23 and 24
Paul Schmitt no 67 attracts the attention of 56 Sqn RFC
Another view of Paul Schmitt number 67 visiting 56 Sqn RFC
Paul Schmitt P.S.7 with a 250-hp Renault engine
Paul Schmitt 7.B2 crashed with Escadrille PS126
A wrecked Paul Schmitt 7/B2 of PS126
P.S.7. Approximately 150 were ordered. These aircraft are believed to have had Schmitt construction numbers 33 to 180
Paul Schmitt 7/4.B2 with 4-wheeled undercarriage
The Paul Schmitt 7/4 was the only major variant of the P.S.7. It featured a dual nosewheel which was presumably added to prevent the aircraft from nosing over during landing
View from above of a C III type Albatros biplane
The control wheel and instrument board of a C III type Albatros, showing radiator in upper plane and compass upside down just below it.
Экипировка экипажа этого "альбатроса" значительно отличается. Летчик облачен в кожаную куртку и шлем; стрелок одет в мундир, и от ветра его предохраняет шарф и шлем с маской
Под фюзеляжем самолета Альбатрос С X крепились бомбодержатели для небольших авиабомб
Приборное оборудование пилотской кабины С X было минимальным, однако кресло обшиваюсь кожей
A type C 5 D.F.W. biplane. Note the housing around the engine.
Курсовой пулемет был установлен между трубами предохранительной пирамиды, возвышаясь над фюзеляжем, а на ее верхушке крепилось зеркало заднего вида.
Front view of the 2-Seater Rumpler.
Fig. 3. - The Rumpler biplane - C 4 type.
Под верхним крылом самолета устанавливался радиатор в полукруглом туннеле с регулирующей заслонкой впереди.
The two-seat CL II became the maintstay of the Schutzstaffeln for escort duties in 1917.
Sopwith Gun Bus photographed at Hendon
The square dark object above the cockpit of Gun Bus number 3833 is the radiator for the liquid-cooled Sunbeam engine. Despite the flag rudder marking, Naval roundels appear to have been carried under the wing tips
Sunbeam-powered Gun Bus 3833 carries early markings consisting of a Union Jack flag on the rudder above the aircraft serial number. The flag marking was also carried under the wings. These flags were supposed to measure 7 feet by 5 feet; however, this rule was not always followed
Gun Bus 3838 sits on a snow cover field with its engine protected by a canvas cover
Later in its career, Schneider 3788 was redoped in a Khaki Green camouflage and full British roundels and rudder stripes. For movement ashore, the Schneider and Baby had mounting points for a wheeled undercarriage on their main floats
A Sopwith Schneider float plane (number 3788) is holsted aboard a Royal Navy seaplane carrier. The aircraft was powered by a 100 hp Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine and was attached to No 2 Wing of the RNAS stationed in the Mediterranean Sea
This Schneider is a late production aircraft with ailerons on both upper and lower wings. The aircraft was assigned to the RNAS at Grain during March of 1917
Three Sopwith Schneiders and a Sopwith Baby of the Royal Naval Air Service War Flight are parked in front of their hangars on the Isle of Grain on 13 March 1917. The third Schneider with the dark finish is number 8118
This RNAS Schneider, parked outside the Albany Boat House, Kingston-on-Thames, was experimentally fitted with Hope Linton floats
A Sopwith Baby of an unidentified Royal Naval Air Service unit. The aircraft is armed with a .303 Lewis machine gun mounted on the upper wing center section. The Baby was a follow-on design based on the Schneider
The prototype Sopwith Tabloid was demonstrated in Australia by Harry Hawker during 1914. The aircraft was a side-by-side two-seater with no vertical fin, and skids attached to the undercarriage
Rear view of the first Tabloid. Note, among other features, the absence of a trailing-edge cut-out
Harry Hawker himself demonstrates, on a single-seat Tabloid, how the trailing-edge cut-out could prove serviceable to a photographer as well as to pilot
This Sopwith Tabloid (1205) of No 2 Wing RNAS is armed with a .303 Lewis machine gunmounted above the upper wing center section. Mounting the gun in this manner kept it free of the propeller arc
Ground crew hold down Sopwith Tabloid 1205 as it runs up its engine. The aircraft was attached to No 2 Wing of the Royal Naval Air Service and carried early Naval markings which consisted of a Red ring on a White circle carried above the upper wing and below the lower wing
Sopwith Tabloid 1208 was assigned to RNAS Great Yarmouth during 1915. The aircraft had a V-strut undercarriage and ailerons on the upper and lower wings which were connected by light struts
Sopwith workers construct Tabloids in the Sopwith factory at Kingston-on-Thames. The aircraft hull at the right is a Sopwith Bat Boat being built for the Royal Naval Air Service
A Sopwith Tabloid staked and tied down at Royal Naval Air Service air field. This is late production Tabloid with strut connected ailerons on the upper and lower wing. The aircraft appears to be unarmed
It is believed that this is either an early production Salamander or one of the prototypes, as indicated by the small fin and rudder fitted to early aircraft. The fin and rudder were enlarged on production aircraft
Early production Salamander with an enlarged rudder
This Sopwith Salamander (E5429) trench fighter was sent to France during May of 1918 for an operational evaluation. Pilots reported that the Salamander was heavy on the controls
The cowling of the Bentley B.R.2 engine and the unstaggered Vickers guns show well in this close-up of the first Salamander - E5429. Maker's caption: "S.365 - Sopwith Salamander Trench Fighter T.F.2 - May 1/18'.
A production machine before final assembly (Sopwith Salamander E5429 ??). Especially interesting on the production machine, with its staggered guns, is the large case chute, with small link chute above it and the loading handle for the starboard gun peeping up above the cockpit rim just behind. Attachment points for a bomb-carrier are seen under the cockpit.
Sopwith Salamander. The third prototype Salamander
This production Salamander was sent to America, and is here seen at McCook Field
F6602, was one of 160 TF.2 Salamanders constructed at the Sopwith factory at Ham
This Sopwith Salamander carried an experimental camouflage scheme developed specially for the Salamander
The first Nieuport triplane, serial N1118. The unusual wing layout was first tried on a modified Nieuport 10
Nieuport triplane two-seater. N 1118
Nieuport triplane two-seater
The second Nieuport Triplane
The second Nieuport Triplane
The second Nieuport Triplane
A6686 at Hounslow
Nieuport triplane fighter N 1388 was evaluated by the RFC in 1916
The RFC's Nieuport triplane, presumably still at Candas and apparently before the finishing touches were put to the painting of its RFC serial number A6686
Carrying the French serial number N1388 on the tail, this triplane variant was based on an Nie.17 fuselage, and is armed with a single centrally mounted Vickers machine gun. The original photograph is dated 26 January 1917
This rear view of N1388 shows that on the starboard side the rudder number lacks any prefix. It was also repeated in miniscule figures on the rear fuselage
Nieuport triplane fighter N 1388 was evaluated by the RFC in 1916
A6686 was tested at Martlesham Heath in April 1917 where this photograph was taken; the test report was anything but flattering
A6686 at an unknown, but extremely interesting location
N1946, this triplane had a 130-hp Clerget engine and was apparently a converted Nieuport 17bis
Пушка Беккера устанавливалась на борту самолета на специальном кронштейне и предназначалась для обстрела наземных целей
Кабина экипажа самолета CV. В кабине летчика только два прибора и ручка управления в виде трезубца. Пулемет "Парабеллум" установлен на оригинальной турели, напоминающей турель Скарфа, но со своеобразной системой фиксации дуги.
Pfalz Dr.I (3050/17), was flight tested by von Richthofen and Tutschek at the Pfalz factory in Speyer during October of 1917.
Предпринималась попытка установить Роланд DI на поплавки, однако маломощный двигатель не позволил получить требуемые характеристики.
The Roland W was a twin-float seaplane adaptation of the D I, remaining a prototype.
The D III in its definitive production form in which ailerons replaced wing warping for lateral control.
Gotha G V with twin-wheel nose undercarriage. This is probably the example that was evaluated in the field by Bogohl III. Based on the Friedrichshafen type nose undercarriage and using rubber-in-compression as a shock-absorber, it was not adopted; but Gotha fitted their own 'stossfahrgestell' to the G V's undercarriage assemblies with success and all late production Gotha G Va and G Vb machines had this refinement which greatly enhanced the safety of night operations. The gunner is demonstrating how he could fire via the tunnel aperture into the machine's 'blind spot'.
This Sopwith 2F.1 Camel (N6812) was flown by Lt S.D.Culley on 31 July 1918 when he destroyed Zeppelin L53. The Camel was launched from a lighter at sea to perform the interception
A ground crewman pulls though the propeller of this 2F.1 Camel (N7376) of the Royal Canadian Air Force Exhibition Flight. The aircraft was preparing to conduct a demonstration flight at Camp Borden, Toronto, during 1928
In 1920 deck-flying trials were conducted with several types of aircraft on HMS Eagle. One of those involved was this 2F1, without armament