J.Herris AEG Aircraft of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 16)
In late 1914 the AEG-Wagner monoplane was built by the AEG Flugtechnische Abteilung in Hennigsdorf to evaluate the wing shape designed by Ingenieur Wagner. The purpose of the design may have had something to do with using the propeller wash to develop additional lift. The first model and five other aircraft were destroyed in a hangar fire in September 1914, although the steel-tube fuselage and rotary engine survived. A second AEG-Wagner monoplane appeared in early 1915. Flight trials demonstrated little advantage of the Wagner wing and the second AEG-Wagner monoplane was hung from the rafters in the AEG factory for storage. The fuselage and vertical tail surfaces are presently in the Polish aircraft collection at Krakow.