J.Bruce British Aeroplanes 1914-1918 (Putnam)
THE Martinsyde two-seat tractor biplane of 1916 had the appearance of having been designed as a trainer, but bore a family resemblance to the Martinsyde S.1. It was a two-bay biplane powered by an Anzani radial engine of 80 h.p., and was completely conventional in every way. A four-wheel undercarriage was fitted to prevent nosing-over on rough ground.
The machine was assembled in one of the London and Provincial Aviation Co.’s sheds at Hendon. Presumably it had been taken there by A. A. Fletcher when he transferred to the London and Provincial concern from Martinsyde, Ltd. There can be little doubt that the Martinsyde-Anzani two-seater was a link between the Fletcher-designed Martinsydes and the London and Provincial biplanes.
The machine was tested by Herbert Sykes, one of the London and Provincial flying school instructors. The first flights were made on a rather bumpy evening, and Sykes made only two trial circuits. He later made exhibition flights at various places when he had become accustomed to the aircraft.
Later in 1916, the Martinsyde was bought by C. H. Stevens, who learned to fly on it under the instruction of Herbert Sykes.