J.Bruce British Aeroplanes 1914-1918 (Putnam)
Wight Trainer Seaplane
THE Wight dual-control seaplane was probably the first seaplane to be designed specifically for use as a training aircraft; it was also one of the first trainers to have side-by-side seating for the instructor and his pupil.
Two machines were built and, although basically similar, they differed quite markedly from each other. Both were single-engined pusher biplanes characterised by a tiny front elevator perched on the nose of the wide, shallow nacelle. The flat, rectangular tailplane was attached to the upper tail-booms, and was surmounted by a low aspect-ratio fin surface. Both Wight Trainers had wings of conventional aerofoil section.
The first Trainer, No. 8321, was powered by a 100 h.p. Anzani radial engine and had three-bay wings of constant chord. The usual long, boat-built floats were fitted, and a small buoyancy float was fitted under each lower wing-tip. A strut-braced auxiliary tailplane was mounted below the lower tailbooms.
The second machine was considerably smaller and had a 100 h.p. Gnome Monosoupape rotary engine. The wings were reduced in span, and the outer portions were tapered. There were no wing-tip floats, but the main-floats were farther apart and additional vee struts were fitted to the mid-points of the inter-float ties. There was no lower tailplane. The Wight Trainer was tested at Felixstowe but was never adopted for Service use.
Manufacturers: J. Samuel White & Co., East Cowes, Isle of Wight.
Power: First machine: 100 h.p. Anzani. Second machine: 100 h.p. Gnome Monosoupape.
Serial Numbers: 8321-8322.