O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Aviatik C V
This gull-winged prototype, which appeared in 1917, remained no more than an experiment. Undoubtedly the upward field of view for both crew members was excellent. The novel system of interplane bracing is notable. The 180 h.p. Argus As III motor was neatly cowled, and it appears from the illustration that the intention was to fit the airscrew with a spinner. Armament, one Spandau and one Parabellum machine-gun.
J.Herris Aviatik Aircraft of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 10)
Aviatik C.IV & C.V
The Aviatik C.IV may have been the original designation for the DFW C.V built under license by Aviatik. The Aviatik C.V was the next true Aviatik two-seater design. Powered by a 180 hp Argus As.III, the C.V was of conventional construction but had an interesting gull-wing configuration to give maximum visibility and field of fire above the aircraft. The bracing struts were of significantly different design than earlier Aviatik C-types. The C.V differed from previous Aviatik C-types in having the pilot in front with a fixed, synchronized Spandau and the observer in the rear cockpit with a flexible Parabellum. The photo shows a lip at the front of the aircraft and apparently a propeller spinner was designed to be fitted. The C.V may have remained a single prototype, but one was shown at the front in June 1917 in the Frontbestand bables.
Flight, September 11, 1919.
The next machine in the series which is of interest is
The Aviatik, Type C V
This machine, which was constructed in 1917, had an Argus engine of 180 h.p. The type C V departed from usual practice in several respects. Thus the wing bracing was unusual in that no lift-wires were employed. As the accompanying illustration shows, the outer pair of inter-plane struts were arranged in the form of a Vee, the bottom plane being of smaller chord than the top. The innermost pair of struts ran from the upper ends of the next pair to points near the bottom of the fuselage, while a third strut sloped aft from the rear strut and was anchored at its lower end to the fuselage some distance aft. Another feature of this type was that the centre section of the top plane was dropped, in a manner not unlike that employed on the latest Boulton and Paul "Bourges." The object of this arrangement undoubtedly was to provide a better view and a freer field of fire for the gunner. For some reason or other the type was not a success, and was not, we believe, built in large quantities. No figures of performance are available.