O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Aviatik C VIII
There being no record of an Aviatik C VII, the C VIII is presumed the next in sequence. Constructed in 1917, it was reminiscent of the Halberstadt CL II, and may have been intended eventually as a light two-seater. The ply-skinned fuselage featured a small under-keel to afford a greater gap than would otherwise have been possible. Additional struts secured the lower wing panels to this keel. Power unit was 160 h.p. Mercedes D III.
J.Herris Aviatik Aircraft of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 10)
Aviatik C.VI, C.VII, & C.VIII
The Aviatik C.VI was the DFW C.V built under license by Aviatik. The C.VII was apparently an un-built project, making the 1917 C.VIII the next Aviatik two-seater design actually built. The C.VIII was a small, single-bay biplane apparently designed as a light C-type in competition with the Halberstadt CL.II and Hannover CL.II. Like these competitors the C.VIII was powered by a 160 hp Mercedes D.III. To give sufficient gap between the wings to avoid aerodynamic interference, the lower wing was attached to a keel below the fuselage and braced with additional struts. The C.VIII remained a prototype.
Flight, September 11, 1919.
The Aviatik, Type C VIII
This machine was also built in 1917. It had a 160 h.p. Mercedes engine, and the radiator placed in front of the leading edge of the top plane. To reduce resistance, and thus increase speed, only one pair of inter-plane struts was fitted on each side, while the body was kept of the smallest possible cross section. In order to provide sufficient gap for aerodynamical efficiency, which was not possible with direct attachment of the lower plane to the body, a form of keel was provided, growing out of the bottom of the fuselage and to this were attached the two halves of the bottom plane. The fuselage was covered with ply-wood, and was of good streamline form. The gun-ring in the rear cockpit was accommodated in a coaming of three-ply, nicely rounded off, as will be seen from the photograph. The centre section struts were of N formation, and were raked outwards. A similar pair of struts provided diagonal bracing i or the root attachment of the lower plane to the keel referred to above.