M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The Fritz single-seat tractor monoplane of 1910 was designed by Fritz Goetze and constructed by Oyler and Co. Ltd., of London, W.1. It displayed considerable French influence, having the general layout of the Demoiselle while possessing an undercarriage in the Bleriot style.
A 40 h.p. eight-cylinder E.N.V. "D" engine was mounted just in front of the leading-edge of the wings and turned a propeller of 7 ft. 10 ins. diameter. Three longerons of bamboo were employed to form the main structure of the open fuselage, the upper member being arched as in the Bleriot XIII to carry the wings, which were given a graceful form of "gull" dihedral. Rounded tips completed the rectangular plan of the planes, and warping was employed for lateral control. A rudder formed the sole vertical surface at the extreme rear, and the horizontal tail comprised a fixed tailplane with pivoted tips performing as elevators. The fuel tank and the radiator were mounted side-by-side above the centre-section, and in between them were the king-posts for the support of the wings, similar posts assisting the bracing of the fuselage from the upper longeron towards the tail.
Description: Single-seat tractor monoplane. Wooden structure, fabric covered.
Manufacturers: H. and D. J. Oyler & Co. Ltd., London, W.1.
Power Plant: 40 h.p. E.N.V. "D".
Dimensions: Span, 32 ft. Length, 29 ft. Wing area, 210 sq. ft.
Flight, August 12, 1911.
THE FRITZ MONOPLANE.
AN all-British machine that has recently been constructed by Messrs. Oylers, Ltd., of 35, New Cavendish Street, London, W., to the designs of Mr. Fritz Goetze, is illustrated by the accompanying photographs and drawings. It calls to mind in some respects the Demoiselle of Santos Dumont fame, for it is of the light spidery variety albeit of much more substantial construction with regard to the under-carriage. It has, too, somewhat the same system of control, which includes pedals for wing warping and rotating hand wheels on either side of the pilot's seat for operating the elevator and the rudder. The main frame of the machine consists of three bamboo spars trussed by light steel triangular frames forming struts, and the usual system of diagonal wires. In the wings, there are also three spars, which are likewise of bamboo. The two principal spars therein have a diameter 2 ins. while that near the trailing edge has a diameter of 1 in. The largest spar in the body has a diameter of 2 1/2 ins. and is in one piece 24 ft. long. The ribs of the wings are of bamboo and pegamoid is employed for covering the planes, which are double surfaced. An aluminium leading edge is introduced to give stiffness to the front of the wing and a steel wire is carried round the trailing extremities of the wing over which the surfacing fabric is laced.
The under-carriage resembles in its outline the Bleriot system, and consists of a pair of neatly designed hinged diamond frames carrying the two landing wheels, which are braced together by a light steel axle that is itself reinforced by a disc in the centre, over which a series of steel wires are stretched between the extremities of the axle tube. The power plant includes a 40-h.p. E.N.V. engine direct coupled to a 7 ft. 10 in. propeller. The engine is located wholly in front of the wings and the propeller-shaft is practically in line with the chord at this point. The pilot's seat is under the wings.