L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Jane's All The World Aircraft 1913
BESSON. Marcel Besson, 24 rue Marbeuf, Paris. Capacity: small. Besson first appeared in 1911 with a tail-first mono. In the Paris Salon, 1913, he exhibited an improved machine along similar lines.
Length...........feet(m.) 22 (6.70)
Span.............feet(m.) 44 (13.40)
Area ......sq. feet (m?.) 323 (30)
...lbs.(kgs.) 730 (331.2)
Motor.................h.p. 70 Gnome
Speed..........m.p.h.(km.) 59 (95)
Number built during 1912... 1
Remarks.--All steel construction. On wheels and 2 skids. Control: ailerons and front elevator.
Flight, January 13, 1912.
PARIS AERO SHOW.
THIS interesting monoplane, in which most of the weight is disposed below the supporting surfaces, is of the tail first or "canard " type, so constructed in order to make it more suitable for the attachment of floats for hydro-aeroplane work. The pilot is seated in the fuselage below and slightly in advance of the wings, in which position he can gain a good view of what is beneath him and if necessary drop explosives with a considerable degree of accuracy. Ailerons are employed for lateral balance, these being governed from a control almost identical with that of the Voisin Canard. The motor, an Aviatic Rossel of 70-h.p., is arranged to the rear of the machine on a level slightly below that of the wings, and drives a Chauviere propeller of 2m. 50 diameter and 2m. 45 pitch.
Principal dimensions, &c. :-
Length 25 ft. Weight 725 lbs.
Span 38 ,, ; Speed 55 m.p.h.
Area 286 sq. ft. Motor 70-h.p. Aviatic Rossel
Flight, November 16, 1912.
THE PARIS AERO SALON.
ALTHOUGH its general design remains the same, this machine has changed somewhat in its appearance since it made its debut at the last Paris Show. Then, the side elevation of the machine in the neighbourhood of the pilot's seat was such a curious one, and in fact so was the entire nature of the machine, that many were the questions asked as to the direction in which it flew. Further, it was rather humorous that after about three days of this there appeared on the stand large boards on which were painted equally large arrows to indicate the required direction. This, at any rate put an end to the exasperating questioning. But we digress. The appearance of the machine as it now stands can be gathered from one of our sketches. It may be seen that it has a triangular fuselage constructed entirely of steel tubing, acetylene welded. This, in fact, is a system on which the whole machine is constructed even to the wings. The balance of the machine laterally is to a certain extent effected naturally by the turned up wing tips, and by the flexible construction of the trailing edge, but so that lateral equilibrium may not altogether be out of the hands of the pilot, ailerons are fitted. The machine exhibited is in reality a three-seater and has been designed to fly with an 80-h.p. Gnome engine. At the Show it was temporarily fitted with a similar engine, but of only 50-h.p.