C.Andrews Vickers Aircraft since 1908 (Putnam)
The Evolution of the Gunbus
At first the only types of instructional aeroplanes used by Vickers Flying School were the various Vickers monoplanes. Towards the end of 1912, however, three Farman-type biplanes were purchased for pupil training from Vickers' next-door neighbours at Brooklands, Hewlett and Blondeau. With some reconstruction these biplanes became known as Vickers Boxkites and were numbered 19,20 and 21. In December 1913 an equal-span version of the Vickers Boxkite appeared, with a primitive enclosed nacelle to afford the instructor and pupil some protection from the wind. They sat side by side in staggered seats, and the odd-looking structure which resulted from this arrangement led to the aeroplane becoming known as the Pumpkin, bearing the Vickers number 26. A 50 hp Vickers-Boucier static radial engine was fitted, but this was eventually replaced by the 70 hp Gnome.
Vickers School Biplane - Boxkite - One 50 hp Gnome. Span 51 ft 3 in; length 39 ft; wing area 433 sq ft. Gross weight 835 lb.
M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The Pumpkin of 1913 was the Vickers version of the Hewlett and Blondeau-built Farman two-seat pusher biplane and was constructed for school work at Brooklands. Side-by-side seats were fitted in a long covered nacelle, which carried at its rear end a seven-cylinder radial engine of 50 h.p. which was built by Vickers to designs by Mons. Boucier.