Форум Breguet's Aircraft Challenge
The Schmidt monoplane won the NY Times Race of 4 July 1914
Flight, April 30, 1915.
THE MAXIMILIAN SCHMITT MONOPLANE.
IN the United States the monoplane has not been developed to anything like the same extent as the biplane. Indeed, what few monoplanes that have been manufactured have been mostly of the Bleriot type, and originality has only shown itself in one or two cases. One of these is to be found in the Maximilian Schmitt monoplane, which made its first appearance at Paterson, N.J., last summer, when F. C. Hild did much successful flying on it. As will be seen from the accompanying sketches, the construction of the body of this machine is unusual. The forward portion of it consists of a coque of true streamline form, circular in section, tapering at the rear into an after portion rectangular in section and very flat and narrow, which carries the tail planes. Thus the forward portion is of ample proportions for housing the pilot, fuel tanks, and engine. The latter, which is a 50 h.p. Gnome, is mounted in the nose with a metal cowl over the top that deflects the greater part of the exhaust and oil away from the pilot's cockpit. The landing chassis is similar in appearance to that fitted on the British-built Deperdussin monoplane, consisting of two U members built into the body. In the Deperdussin these members were of multi-ply wood, whereas those of the Schmitt are, we believe, of steel. The tubular axle carrying a pair of running wheels is attached to the lower ends of the U members by rubber bands, whilst radius rods hold the axle in correct alignment. Two cane skids attached to the body underneath the tail planes keep the latter clear from the ground. The main planes are built up on two main spars in the usual monoplane style in two units, being attached to the body high up. The rear spar is situated some distance from the trailing edge, so that a very effective warp is provided. A portion of the plane behind the rear spar on either side of and close to the body is cut away in order to provide an uninterrupted view below for the pilot. The wings are cable-braced top and bottom, in the former case from a pyramid of four steel tubes mounted on the body just in front of the pilot's cockpit and in the latter case from the U members of the landing chassis. The tail planes consist of a triangular stabilising plane, to the trailing edge of which are hinged two elevator flaps and two triangular vertical fins above and below the stabilising plane, with a vertical rudder hinged to the rear edge. The principal dimensions of the Maximilian Schmitt monoplane are Span, 25 ft.; chord, 6 ft.; supporting area, 150 sq. ft.; overall length, 18 ft.; weight in flying trim, 600 lbs.; speed, 65 m.p.h.; climbing speed, 50 ft. per min.