Flight, May 7, 1915.
THREE NEW AMERICAN MACHINES.
FOR some time past there has been noticeable a certain activity among American aeroplane manufacturers, consequent no doubt upon the increased interest being taken by the U.S. Government in military aviation, which it is hoped will lead to the handing out of substantial orders very shortly. It is also not unlikely that some of the firms hope to do considerable business with European Governments, and it is interesting to notice how the general design of some of the latest machines approximates very closely to those which have proved most successful over here. This is clearly shown in the photographs which we reproduce of some military tractors that have recently made their first appearance, and passed their preliminary trials.
In the Gallaudet military tractor biplane the influence of German designing practice can be clearly traced in the backswept main planes and upturned ailerons. The arrangement of the fuselage is somewhat reminiscent of the Handley Page biplane in the manner of carrying the lower plane right across instead of attaching the two halves of it, as it is done in most machines, to the sides of the body. Also in the covering of the body is German influence noticeable, as this takes the form of three-ply instead of the usual fabric covering. The chassis is of the Vee-type, having the rear members continued forward in the form of tusks or short skids. The engine is a 50 h.p. Gnome, which it is intended later, we understand, to replace with a Gyro.
A hemispherical nose-piece encloses the centre part of the propeller so as to form a good entry for the air. During the first flight of this machine the pilot, Mr. Harold Kantner, is said to have felt so confident in the stability of his mount that he let go of the controls and made a prolonged flight with his hands raised above his head.