M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Designed by Major Baden-Powell, and built in 1909, this machine appeared at the Dagenham Flying Ground in that year. It was basically a pusher biplane with large extra surfaces fore and aft. The pilot sat on the lower center section with the engine directly behind. The fuselage consisted of four bowed metal tubes, meeting together at both front and rear, and braced by spacing members. The lower portion of the forward fuselage was covered in, perhaps for alighting on water. The front surface was the elevator, the larger rear surface was fixed. The wings were rotatable around the main spar for steering. The machine did not fly. The structure of this and his other machines was covered by patent number 6443 of 1906.
Power: 10-12hp Buchet three-cylinder air-cooled fan type semi-radial.
BADEN-POWELL quadruplane 1910-1911 version
The construction of another machine appears to have begun in 1910, which was to be powered by a 50hp Antoinette engine, driving twin pusher propellers. It seems that it was not completed, and the only information is that conveyed by the adjacent illustration. Patent No.6443/1906 has some relevance to this and to the earlier machine.
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The Baden-Powell Quadruplane was designed by Major B. F. S. Baden-Powell and built during 1909, appearing at the Dagenham flying-ground in the same year. It was basically a biplane, with the addition of large extra wings fore and aft. The engine was the 50 h.p. Antoinette. Span, 22 ft. Length, 24 ft.