M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
BARNWELL Bros, biplane
The next effort by the Barnwell brothers was constructed by their Grampian company and was a large single-seat canard biplane. Harold Barnwell succeeded in flying for eighty yards on 8 July 1909, but the machine was damaged on landing. After repairs and with the wingspan reduced to 45ft further trials were carried out on 8 September 1909 using a starting rail. A height of 25ft was reached before the machine was damaged beyond repair on 10 September 1909.
Power: 40hp Humber TT car engine four-cylinder inline water-cooled driving two 10ft diameter pusher propellers by chain.
Gap 7ft 6in
Weight 1,568 lb
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Barnwell Brothers Biplane
The Barnwell Brothers Biplane was a single-seat canard pusher designed by Frank S. and Richard H. Barnwell during 1909, and built by the Grampian Motor and Engineering Co., of Stirling. A Hurnber Tourist Trophy car engine was used to drive a pair of pusher propellers, and the machine was tested by Richard Barnwell at Stirling on 10 September, 1909, when it flew for about 80 yards but was damaged in a heavy landing. Span, 48 ft. Weight empty, 1,568 lb.