C.Barnes Bristol Aircraft since 1910 (Putnam)
One further Bristol-Coanda two-seater biplane was built and was Coanda's only pusher biplane design. This was No. 199, the P.B.8, which was intended to serve as a Boxkite replacement at the Brooklands school. Although the design was begun in November 1913, construction proceeded on very low priority, and the complete machine was not delivered to Brooklands till July 1914. Hardly had it arrived when its 80 h.p. Gnome engine was requisitioned by the War Office and so it never flew. The P.B.8 was relatively small, with wings of equal span having upper and lower ailerons. The overall length was equal to the span and the tail booms were parallel in plan view at a fairly close pitch, the lower booms being continuous with the chassis skids. Initially the nacelle nose shape was a horizontal knife-edge, but as finally built this was changed to a vertical knife-edge. The crew occupied a common cockpit, and access to the aft seat was not easy because of the low clearance under the upper wing. A much more satisfactory trainer was No. 218, the only side-by-side version of the T.B.8, which was rebuilt in April 1914 from monoplane No. 177. It had ailerons and a separate tail skid, as on the G.B.75, and was used at Larkhill.
Power Plant 80 hp
Span 27 ft 6 in
Length 27 ft 6 in
Sequence Nos. 199
M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The P.B.8 Scout was an experimental two-seat pusher biplane gun-carrier designed by Mons. Henri Coanda and built during 1913 under works number 199. The engine was the 80 h.p. Gnome, but the machine was not flown after completion at Brooklands. At the outbreak of war in August, 1914, the engine was requisitioned by the Admiralty. Span, 27 ft. 6 ins. Length, 27 ft. 6 ins.
P.Lewis The British Fighter since 1912 (Putnam)
Although his S.B.5 had become a victim of the ban, Coanda still retained his enthusiasm for a military design and transferred his ideas to a two-seat gun-carrying pusher biplane layout which was constructed during 1913 as the Bristol P.B.8, works number 199. A compact machine of 27 ft. 6 in. span and length, it was powered by an 80 h.p. Gnome with the propeller revolving between the closely-set pairs of tail booms. The usual Coanda-style four-wheel landing-gear supported the P.B.8 but, although it was completed at Brooklands, it was not flown and had never been a popular project with the drawing office from the start. Coanda indulged in several other unusual designs for all-steel pushers in the midst of the general enthusiasm aroused for fitting a gun to an aeroplane but none of them progressed to the construction stage. In his search for a satisfactory layout to incorporate a gun, Coanda was forced to adhere to the pusher type of machine by the lack of any gear to ensure safe firing through a tractor propeller’s path.