Flight, April 19, 1917.
THE "TOTALLY ENCLOSED" AEROPLANE.
The following year - 1912 - witnessed the production of quite a number of enclosed aeroplanes, inspired probably by the exhibition at the Paris Salon of the Bleriot "Aerocar" during the previous year. In Germany two examples were on view at the Berlin exhibition held in April of that year One of these was exhibited by the well-known Rumpler firm. This machine was, practically speaking, a standard Taube type monoplane, in which the turtle deck had been increased in depth until it covered the occupants. As our illustration shows, this turtle back or roof only extended to a point a short distance behind the pilot's. Two mica windows in each side provided a view in an outward and upward direction, while a diminutive window, making an angle of about 45 ° with the line of flight, was fitted in a small dash near the rear of the engine. This can be seen in the photograph just ahead of the leading edge of the wing where it joins the body. The forward view obtainable through this latter window was admittedly of a very restricted character, especially as the pilot occupied the rear seat. Whether or not this machine met with any great success cannot be stated, but certainly it was not produced in quantities.