В.Кондратьев Самолеты первой мировой войны
ХАЛЬБЕРШТАДТ C-V / HALBERSTADT C-V
Также в январе 1918-го главный конструктор "Хальберштадтер Флюгцойгверк" Карл Тейсс создал очередную модификацию удачной машины со значительно увеличенным размахом. Поскольку установленный на ней мотор уже не укладывался в мощностные ограничения класса "CL", самолету присвоили индекс C-V.
"Хальберштадты" C-V, как правило, не несли бомбовой нагрузки. Зато их оборудовали аэрофотоаппаратами, радиостанциями и электрообогревом кабин. В такой комплектации большинство этих машин применялось в качестве дальних высотных разведчиков.
Помимо фирмы-разработчика, CL-IV строили на заводе "Роланд", a C-V выпускали по лицензии на предприятиях фирм Авиатик, BFW и DFW. По окончании войны единичные экземпляры "Хальберштадтов" оказались в Голландии, Эстонии, Польше, на Украине и в Советской России. В 1922 году правительство РСФСР закупило в Германии еще 20 машин.
"Бенц", 200 л.с. (C-V).
1-2 синхронных "Шпандау" и 1 турельный "Парабеллум", до 50 кг бомб.
А.Александров, Г.Петров Крылатые пленники России
В семействе двухместных "Хальберштадтов" одним из последних стал "Ц-пятый": высотный дальний фоторазведчик с мотором "Бенц" 220 л. с. И выбор двигателя, обладавшего достаточной высотностью, и размах крыльев, достаточно большой, обеспечивали аппарату потолок до 5000 м и дальность полета до 600 км. Вооружение состояло из неподвижного "Шпандау" по левому борту и подвижного "Парабеллума" в кабине наблюдателя. Модель создавалась в начале 1918 г. и выпускалась по крайней мере четырьмя заводами до завершения конфликта. Неизвестно, попадался ли данный тип русским авиаотрядам во время Гражданской войны, тогда как после нее советское правительство закупило 18 "Хальберштадтов Ц. V" и 2 июня 1922 г. они прибыли в Петроград на пароходе "Хансдорф" (Hansdorf). Сначала они поступили в 1-й отдельный разведывательный авиаотряд, но через год были переданы военным летным школам, где тоже не задержались. На представленном снимке (61) изображен аппарат без привычных красных звезд, но сохранивший оригинальный "текстильный" камуфляж на крыльях и оперении и сфотографированный в Москве примерно в 1923 г.
O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Halberstadt C V
With the implementation of the "America Programme" during the final year of the war and the consequent expansion of most of the German flying units, the Halberstadt C V was scheduled to supplement the photographic Fl. Abt. Unaccountably this type appears to have been overlooked by historians in the past, even though it was produced in considerable numbers and built under licence by at least three sub-contractors.
Designed for high-altitude, long-distance (Fernerkunder) reconnaissance and photographic work, the C V initially appeared in the early months of 1918. It was extensively tested, and one airframe, 1246/18, was critically assessed and finally tested to destruction over the period 26th March to 22nd April 1918, at Adlershof. However, it was mid-summer before the type became operational.
The high-aspect-ratio wings were of considerable span for a two-seater, and contributed to increased efficiency at altitude. The high-compression 220 h.p. Benz Bz IV engine also improved altitude performance.
Superficially, the fuselage and tail surfaces resembled those of the CL IV, but were proportionately larger, and the communal cockpit was abandoned for the more conventional arrangement. Installation of the 220 h.p. Benz motor was similar to the CL IV, with bulbous metal panels at the front and metal panels adjacent to the cylinder block, the fore part of which protruded. The chimney-type manifold exhausted over the upper wing. The remainder of the fuselage was of wooden construction, with slab sides and a rounded top decking which tapered to a horizontal knife-edge aft; it was covered with a thin plywood skin. A sliding "trap door" located in the floor of the rear cockpit moved laterally to allow the camera lens to be exposed when "shooting" was in progress. Fin and tailplane, which was attached direct to upper longerons, were of wooden construction with fabric covering; the balanced rudder and one-piece balanced elevator were of light-gauge steel tube, and likewise fabric covered.
The two-bay high-aspect-ratio wings were of uniform chord, fabric covered and based on two spruce main spars. The front spar was of I-section reinforced with 2 mm. ply between the flanges. The rear spar was a more orthodox hollow box-spar faced with 1.5 mm. ply. The leading edge was a channelled wooden member, and the trailing edge was a light wooden slat. Some of the earlier models had both upper and lower wingtips raked and the aileron balances inset, but in the main production variant only the upper wingtips were raked and the large, horn-balanced ailerons were overhung. Their framework was of steel tubes and actuation was through torque tubes, again in similar manner to the CL types. Supported on splayed steel-tube "N" struts, the wide centre-section of the upper wing had a large V-shaped cut-out to improve the pilot's upward vision: the flush radiator and gravity fuel tank were mounted in the starboard and port sides respectively. In the lower wings the tips were rounded with a compound elliptical profile (reminiscent of the D.F.W. C V), and the roots again featured the characteristic washout to smooth the airflow.
The undercarriage was of conventional vee-type chassis of streamlined steel tube with two spreader bars, sprung with multiple steel springs. The ash tailskid was mounted and hinged to a small under-fin as on the CL IV.
Together with their Rumpler C VII contemporaries, the Halberstadt C Vs performed yeoman service in providing photographic intelligence during the final months of the war. They were obliged to operate under the inordinately difficult conditions of frequent retreat, and in the face of continually increasing Allied fighter opposition.
Description: Two-seat photographic reconnaissance.
Manufacturers: Halberstadter Flugzeug-Werke G.m.b.H. (Halb.).
Sub-contractors: Automobil und Aviatik A.G. (Av.); Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke A.G. (Bay.); Deutsche Flugzeug-Werke G.m.b.H. (Dfw.).
Power Plant: One 220 h.p. Benz Bz IV 6 cylinder in-line water-cooled engine fitted with high-compression cylinders.
Dimensions: Span, 13.62 m. (44 ft. 8 3/4 in.). Length, 6.92 m. (22 ft. 8 1/2 in.). Height, 3.36 m. (11 ft. 0 1/4 in.). Area, 43 sq.m. (464.4 sq.ft.).
Weights: Empty, 930 kg. (2,046 lb.). Loaded, 1,365 kg. (2,730 lb.).
Performance: Maximum speed, 170 km.hr. (106.25 m,p.h.). Initial climb, 2,000 m. (6,560 ft.) in 3.2 min.; 5,000 m. (16,400 ft.) in 23 min. Duration, 3 1/2 hr.
Armament: One fixed Spandau machine-gun mounted to port forward and one manually operated Parabellum machine-gun in rear cockpit.
Halberstadt C VII
This aircraft, produced late in 1918, was little more than a standard Halberstadt C V airframe fitted with a 245 h.p. Maybach Mb IV engine. It remained only a prototype, probably a test bed for the subsequent C VIII. Armament, one Parabellum and one Spandau machine-gun.
Halberstadt C IX
The C IX was, in effect, yet another C V variant; it was the same airframe with the Austrian 230 h.p. Hiero engine installed. Doubtless it was the intention to supply such machines for use by the Austro-Hungarian Air Force, but it seems unlikely any were delivered. Engine, 230 h.p. Hiero. Data, as for C V. Weights: Empty, 950 kg. (2,090 lb.). Loaded, 1,380 kg. (3.036 lb.). Armament, one Parabellum and one Spandau machine-gun.
L.Andersson Soviet Aircraft and Aviation 1917-1941 (Putnam)
Halberstadt C V
A number of German Halberstadt biplanes of different models were captured or interned by Germany's adversaries and by neutral Holland during the last phases of the First World War and in the following period, and others were sold. In this way Halberstadt aircraft found their way to Estonia, Lithuania, Holland and Poland. Eighteen Halberstadt C Vs were purchased by the Soviet Union in 1922. They arrived in Leningrad on board the steamer Hansdorf on 2 June 1922. Construction numbers included 2430 to 2435, 2437, 2440, 2441 (possibly 2430 to 2441), 2792/1216/18, 2799, 2808 and 1358/3460/18.
The Halberstadt C V was designed by an engineer named Theiss for high-altitude long-distance reconnaissance and photographic work. Flown for the first time early in 1918 it was to serve in the German reconnaissance units along with the contemporary Rumpler C VII during the final stages of the war. About 550 were built by the Halbertstiidter Flugzeugwerke GmbH, BFW, Aviatik and DFW. Being a two- bay biplane with straight high-aspect-ratio wings without dihedral the Halberstadt C V had wings and tailplanes of wooden construction with fabric covering. There were horn-balanced ailerons at the tips of the upper wing. On the lower wing the tips were rounded. The egg-shaped vertical fin was typical of Halberstadt aircraft and the single-piece rudder and elevator were horn-balanced. All control surfaces had steel-tube structure and fabric covering. A conventional V-type undercarriage made of streamlined steel-tube was fitted and the tailskid was mounted on a small under-fin.
The fuselage had slab sides and rounded top decking and tapered to a horizontal knife-edge aft. It was mainly plywood-covered but aluminium metal plates were used for the areas around the engine, which was mounted with the cylinder block protruding. The engine was a 220hp six-cylinder inline water-cooled Benz IV driving a two- bladed wooden propeller. A chimney-type exhaust manifold was fitted. The radiator and a gravity fuel tank were located in the centre section of the upper wing. Armament comprised a fixed forward-firing 7.9mm machine-gun and a flexible gun mounted on a gun ring for the observer.
The Halberstadt C Vs were rather short-lived in RKKVF service. They were used by the 1st Otdel'nyi razvedivatel'nyi aviatsionnyi otryad based near Leningrad until relegated to training work in 1923, just one year after their introduction into service. The Voenno-Tekhnicheskaya Shkola in Leningrad, the Voenno-Teoricheskaya Shkola, the Military School of Pilots and Observers and the Flying otryad of the Military School of the KVF had two each but all were withdrawn from use after a short time.
220hp Benz BzIV
Span 13.62m; length 6.98m; height 3.36 ; wing area 43 nv
Empty weight 930kg; loaded weight 1,362kg
Maximum speed 170km/h; climb to 1,000m in 3.2min; ceiling 6,500m; endurance 3 1/2hr; range 600km
Форум Breguet's Aircraft Challenge
The Landwehr in Estonia wanted to make contact with the White Russian North-West Army near Narva. On 8 and 9 June 1919, three German aircraft were sent to Narva from Latvia, with messengers as passengers. The operation was led by Oblt zur See Patze, but it failed completely. All aircraft were confisquated by the Estonians when they landed near Narva, the crew and the messangers were taken prisoner and jailed for some time. The three machines were two D.F.W. C.V's and an Halberstadt C.V which had crashed.
All three were taken in the inventory of the Estonian Aviation Company. The Halberstadt C.V - later fitted with floats - got the Estonian serial number 53.
This was probably the only Halberstadt C.V fitted with floats.