J.Herris Aviatik Aircraft of WWI (A Centennial Perspective on Great War Airplanes 10)
Aviatik P20 (Schwade)
In May 1914 the Aviatik P20, powered by a 100 hp Oberursel rotary engine, was flown in the Prinz Heinrich Flug, and in June the P20 was delivered to the Fliegertruppe for evaluation. Although it is unlikely the military purchased the P20, the Otto Schwade &. Company of Erfurt used the Aviatik P20 as the basis for license production of 8-10 training aircraft for the Fabric-Fliegerschule Erfurt. The flight school was operated by Schwade, who also owned the aircraft and trained army pilots under contract. These aircraft were built in 1914-1915 and were powered by the 100 hp Schwade Stahlherz rotary engine.
Flight, August 28, 1914.
AIRCRAFT "MADE IN GERMANY"
WHICH MAY BE EMPLOYED AGAINST THE ALLIES.
8. The New Aviatik Biplane
is, for a German machine, very small and light and of the tractor type. Like the larger machines it is of the Arrow type, having its main planes sloping slightly backward. The upper and lower planes are connected by steel tube struts of streamline section, and a cabane of the monoplane type serves as an anchorage for the centre portion of the top plane. The fuselage, which is of rectangular section, is more on the lines of English machines, probably on account of the fact that instead of the vertical engine with which German machines are usually fitted, it has a rotary engine - a 114 h.p. Oberursel motor, mounted in the nose of the fuselage between double bearers. Pilot and passenger sit one behind the other, the passenger in front. Between him and the engine are carried, inside the fuselage, the petrol and oil tanks. The chassis is of the simple type which has now gained such popularity among German constructors, and consists of two "Vs" of streamline section steel tubes. The axle rests in the angle between the tubes, and is sprung by rubber shock absorbers.