O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
L.T.G. SD 1
Six of these single-seat seaplanes (Seejagdeinsitzer) with some variation of the tail surfaces were constructed by the Luft Torpedo Gesellschaft, Johannisthal, known initially as L.T.G. and whose official abbreviation was "Torp". The aircraft were ordered on 8th February 1917 and delivery completed by 8th March 1918. Marine numbers 1299-1301 and 1518-1520 were allocated. No. 1299 was used solely as an experimental machine and carried out load tests. The engine generally credited to this aircraft is 150 h.p. Benz Bz III, but from photographs it is obvious, from the hand of the airscrew, that some sort of geared motor was installed. Span, 10.0 m. (32 ft. 9 3/4 in.). Length, 9.0 m. (29 ft. 6 3/8 in.). Height, 3.55 m. (11 ft. 7 3/4 in.). Weights: Empty, 895 kg. (1,969 lb.). Loaded, 1,165 kg. (2,563 lb.).
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
LTG FD 1 Germany
The Luft Torpedo Gesellschaft (LTG) was established in March 1915, primarily for the development of an aerial torpedo. It expanded into aircraft sub-contract, and, on 8 February 1917, received a contract for three prototypes of an original single-seat twin-float fighter, the FD 1. A single-bay staggered equi-span biplane, the FD 1 was powered by a 150 hp Benz Bz III driving the propeller via a Loeb reduction gearbox. The first FD 1 was delivered in May 1917, in which month a further contract was placed for three additional prototypes embodying improvements. The three FD Is ordered under the initial contract were tested through September 1917, after overcoming engine and gearbox mounting deficiencies, but demonstrated poor manoeuvrability. The aircraft built against the second contract differed primarily in having extended dorsal and ventral fins, the first of these being delivered in late October 1917. The FD 1 was finally approved for service in March 1918, five aircraft being added to the Marine seaplane inventory, the first prototype having been destroyed during static load testing. The FD Is were not flown in combat, being placed in storage at Hage where they were discovered by the Allies in December 1918. One example of a landplane version of the FD 1 was flight tested at Johannisthal during 1917.
Max speed, 90 mph (145 km/h).
Time to 3,280 ft (1 000 m), 4.5 min.
Empty weight, 1,973 lb (895 kg).
Loaded weight, 2,568 lb (1165 kg).
Span, 32 ft 9 3/4 in (10,00m).
Length, 29 ft 6 1/3 in (9,00 m).
Height, 11 ft 7 3/4 in (3,55 m).