H.King Armament of British Aircraft (Putnam)
P.V.4. Another 1916 Port Victoria design, the P.V.4 pusher two-seater, did not fly until the following year. There was a Scarff ring-mounting for a Lewis gun in the nose, commanding a field of fire even over the top wing.
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
PORT VICTORIA P.V.4 UK
Early in 1916, the Marine Experimental Aircraft Depot initiated the design of a land-based two-seat fighter, the P.V.3. Although this was never built, the Depot was officially requested to develop a float seaplane version carrying radio equipment and a single 0.303-in (7,7- mm) machine gun. This, the P.V.4, was a small and compact sesquiplane with a central nacelle for the two crew members and a pusher engine, and the tail assembly carried by four slim booms. The gunner occupied the forward cockpit, which was equipped with a Scarff ring for the gun. The intention was to fit the P.V.4 with a 150 hp Smith "Static” radial engine but, as this was unavailable, a 110 hp Clerget rotary was installed for flight testing in mid-1917. This created CG problems, resolution of which would have involved considerable redesign, and, as the P.V.4 was considered to possess insufficient promise to warrant this work, development was discontinued.
Max speed, 81 mph (130 km/h).
Loaded weight 2,400 lb (1 089 kg).
Span, 32 ft 0 in (9,75 m).
Wing area, 220 sq ft (20,44 m2).