O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Schutte-Lanz D III
Built towards the end of 1917, this neat but conventional fighter participated in the first D types Competition at Adlershof. It was flown by von Arnim, and at a loaded weight of 900 kg (1,980 lb.) on 25th January 1918 recorded climb performance of 1,000 m. (3,280 ft.) in 3 min. and 5,000 m. (16,400 ft.) in 31.9 min., which, as may be seen, was far from spectacular. An unusual feature was the use of fairly long, downturned, individual exhaust pipes to each cylinder. The machine was of orthodox wood and fabric construction. Dihedral was rigged in the upper wing but not in the lower wing. Engine, 160 h.p. Mercedes D III. Armament, twin Spandau machine-guns.
W.Green, G.Swanborough The Complete Book of Fighters
SCHUTTE-LANZ D III Germany
Designed to participate in the first D-type contest organised by the Idflieg at Adlershof, which took place between 20 January and 12 February 1918, the D III was a conventional single-bay staggered biplane with N-type interplane struts. Armament comprised two 7,9-mm LMG 08/15 machine guns and power was provided by a 160 hp Mercedes D III six-cylinder inline water-cooled engine, an unusual feature being the use of an individual exhaust pipe for each cylinder, an aerofoil-shaped radiator being offset to port in the upper wing centre section. Of wooden construction with fabric skinning, the D III revealed an unspectacular performance, and, during the D-type contest, on 25 January, recorded climbing times of 3.0 min to 3,280 ft (1 000 m) and 31.9 min to 16,405 ft (5 000 m).
Max speed, 121 mph (195 km/h).
Loaded weight, 1,896 lb (860 kg).
Span, 26 ft 3 in (8,00 m).
Length, 21 ft 39/w in (6,50 m).