L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Gustave-Adolphe Clement had made a fortune in bicycles, tires, and automobiles and their engines. In 1908 he had the Astra firm build him a dirigible, named for himself, and went on to build his own factory and 6 more dirigibles. He took the emblem of Bayard as his logo, and eventually added it to his own name. Victor Tatin, together with Professor Richet, did the first independent design for the firm Clement-Bayard: the handsome modern twin-boom monoplane bought by the Comte de la Vaulx.
1909: Demoiselle project - cf Santos-Dumont
Flight, January 9, 1909
THE FIRST PARIS AERONAUTICAL SALON.
Monoplane designed by M. Tatin and built by M. Chauviere for Messrs. Clement-Bayard, the well-known firm of automobile engineers, who have equipped it with an entirely novel type of engine made by themselves, which was illustrated in The Automotor Journal of December 26th, 1908, p. 1694. It is a remarkably substantial-looking machine, and a peculiar feature of its construction is the upward curvature of the tips of the main wings. All surfaces are covered with a light-coloured varnished silk, which looks at first glance like aluminium. The pilot sits in the bows, and the planes are attached to the centre of the girder frame. Carried by long wooden beams stretching out far behind is the elevator and rudder.