L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
The first Hanriot was shown at the 1909 Paris Salon, underpowered with a Buchet engine. It was the clear forerunner of most of the subsequent Hanriots, with long uncovered fuselage, the monoplane wing rectangular. The stabilizer was set on the top of the aft fuselage, with a small triangular fin below and a small triangular rudder aft. The wheels, each with its long skid, were attached with the typical Hanriot 4-strut arrangement, the rear 2 coming together above the fuselage to form the pylon.
A 1910 version flew at Reims, perhaps with the same fuselage and engine. An extra pair of landing gear struts were added forward; the whole tail structure was now mounted on the top of the fuselage; and kingpost was set onto the rear fuselage with a tailskid set underneath. A similar Hanriot was photographed with a different vertical fin and rudder, with the tailplane set again under the fuselage.
Flight, November 20, 1909
FLYER SILHOUETTES FROM THE PARIS SALON.
Monoplane, principally interesting on account of the design of the chassis, which is well illustrated in the accompanying photograph. The construction has the appearance of being both light and strong; it certainly gives evidence of more desire to avoid complication than do many systems of bracing. It will be noticed from the illustration that four wood columns rise obliquely from the two runners which form the base of the structure. One pair of these struts converge to a point well above the centre of the body, and from this apex, wires radiate for the support of the wings. The other pair of struts stop short at the engine bearers, which lie longitudinally in the main frame of the machine.
Transversely between the two runners two steel tubes are arranged and on one of these are mounted the two independently suspended wheels which normally lift the front ends of the runners some 8 ins off the ground. The suspension, which is not properly shown in the photograph, consists of elastic springs connecting the wheel brackets to the frame.
As usual in monoplane construction, the engine is right in front, and drives a tractor screw. There is a tail at the rear, comprising an elevator and a rudder, in addition 10 fixed vertical and horizontal planes. Provision is made for warping the wings, but in its present condition this system of control is not fitted to the machine.