L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
XLII: This was another canard pusher, built in March 1913, meant for-observation, apparently an improvement over the Type XXXVII, though it seems unlikely the changes were helpful. The nacelle was short, with a forward window for the observers to look downward, and a long hooked uncovered outrigger structure out in front with the forward elevator. The wings carried ailerons, along with 3 little rudder surfaces on each panel. A big boomerang-shaped rudder was hung behind the propeller, and the whole thing rested on a traditional Bleriot bedstead gear and an awkward rear skid under the 80 hp Gnome and the pusher propeller. The machine was later modified with a tailwheel and only 2 fins on each wing panel.
Flight, March 29, 1913.
An Armoured Aeroplane.
THERE are many novel features about M. Bleriot's latest monoplane which has been tested at Buc during the past few days by Perreyon. It is of the Canard type, with an elevator in front, and the propeller arranged behind the main plane. There is also a fish-tail shaped rudder placed only 15 cms. behind the propeller, while there are three fish-tail shaped fins arranged at the rear of the inner half of each wing; ailerons extend from this point along the outer half. The body of the machine, which is arranged so that the observer lies flat, and looks through windows, is covered with steel plate to protect the occupants from rifle fire.