J.Bruce British Aeroplanes 1914-1918 (Putnam)
The Ruffy-Baumann School Biplanes
For elementary training purposes the Ruffy-Baumann company built a two-seat biplane which was in the same class as the D.H.6 and appeared to owe something to that aircraft. The installation of the 70 h.p. Renault engine was very similar to that of the R.A.F. ta in the D.H.6, and the windscreens and gravity fuel tank bore a strong resemblance to the corresponding components on the D.H.6. The Ruffy-Baumann biplane was more refined in general appearance, however, and lacked the primitive angularity of the “Clutching Hand”. The undercarriage embodied skid-like projections, each of which had a small auxiliary wheel at its forward end.
The elementary trainer was later improved by the removal of the skids from the undercarriage and by the addition of a blunt cowling to fair off the nose under the engine bearers. The gravity petrol tank was removed, and a horn-balanced rudder replaced the original plain surface. It was in this form that the machine became known as the Alliance P.1 when the Alliance Aeroplane Co., Ltd., expanded by absorbing a number of small manufacturers of whom the Ruffy, Arnell and Baumann Aviation Co. were one.
A.Jackson British Civil Aircraft since 1919 vol.1 (Putnam)
Two-seat training biplane of wood and fabric construction built at Hendon 1918 as the Ruffy-Baumann R.A.B. 15, powered by one 80-h.p. Renault. After the removal of the undercarriage skids and the fitting of a horn-balanced rudder it was renamed the Alliance P.1, following the absorption of the Ruflfy, Arnell and Baumann Aviation Company into the Alliance Aeroplane Co. Ltd. One aircraft only: K-159/G-EAGK, c/n P. 1, registered 9.7.19, scrapped 11.20.