L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
Lieutenant Lelievre's stubby monoplane was built by Vendome and resembled a radial-engined Aeronca C-2. The wing was mounted on the top of the short covered fuselage, with the engine set almost at ground level driving through a chain the tractor propeller mounted slightly forward of the leading edge. The pilot sat inside the fuselage under the wing, entering through one of 2 small side doors. A large triangular tailplane, large elevator and rudder surfaces brought up the rear. 2 large spoked wheels were fitted, one on each side of the cabin, and the machine rested on a long tailskid immediately behind the pilot. The monoplane flew frequently at Issy late in 1912 or early in 1913; it crashed in August.