L.Opdyke French Aeroplanes Before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
The big awkward-looking Rimailho biplane appeared in 1912; the firm had designed and built the Rimailho 155 mm field gun, which had been in use since 1904, so their biplane may have been designed as a 2- or 3-seater for the artillery. The long square-sectioned covered fuselage tapered sharply down to the tail starting just aft of the cockpits, giving the machine a broken-back appearance. The wings were of equal span, rectangular in shape, with a wide gap between the rectangular upper 2 wing panels. The rectangular tail surfaces were pivoted aft of their leading edges so they were balanced, but there were no fixed surfaces; small castering tailwheels were fixed at the ends of the elevator spars. The landing gear was similar to that of the Antoinette, but without a skid. The engine was fully cowled in a severe rectangular box, and the radiators were flat along each side of the nose.