M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
CLOUT helicopter (George Clout, Durrington, near Worthing, Sussex)
This machine, for which patent application No.13 075/1903 was made, was offered to the War Office, presumably for observation purposes and was abandoned after lack of interest.
The fuselage was a tubular structure with a circular wooden frame on top at the front. On this were mounted the motor, triangular wings and two large fanlike propellers, the whole being free to rotate on the mounting ring. Control was by altering the balance of the car and by the use of 'the steering tail'. The frame of the fuselage could be 'enveloped in descent, converting it into a 13 ft diameter parachute' in an emergency. The photograph shows a scale model built of oak, bamboo and steel tube.
Rotating wings 30ft diameter
Propellers 10ft diameter
Weight 350 lb
Aircraft Annual 1968 (p45) &1970 (p623)