M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
CORDNER monoplane No.l (Joseph Cordner, John St., Londonderry, N. Ireland)
The aeronautical Press seem to have missed the work that Corder was carrying out in Northern Ireland until Flight published an article on his latest machine in 1915. This was the result of several years of work which included this, and one other full size aircraft, the first of which was tested on the foreshore of Lough Swilly at Lisfannon, near Buncrana, County Donegal in late 1909 and 1910.
The layout was fairly conventional, but with an original type of wing. The fuselage was a triangular section braced wooden girder, originally open, but later covered with fabric. The main struts of the undercarriage were continued up as a pylon for the wing bracing cables, forming a substantial Aframe; a large nosewheel, mounted on tubular struts, completed the chassis; a tail-skid was also fitted.
The tail unit consisted of a one piece tailplane mounted on the top longerons probably moveable for control in pitch. There was no fin or rudder. The wing incorporated the feature of the design covered in Patent No.2521/1911, consisting of a series of triangular section tunnels across the chord, allowing air to enter below the leading edge and to exit above the trailing edge. The system was claimed to 'grip' the air and prevent sideslip. Similar tunnels were fitted to the tailplane.
Power: 40hp JAP eight-cylinder air-cooled vee.