M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Jezzi 1910 Biplane
Early in 1909 P. G. Leo Jezzi, a City business man with a spare-time passion for aeronautics and mechanics, started to construct his first aeroplane. He was ridiculed by his acquaintances, but was assisted by an old school friend, Arthur Cooper, in building it in a shed at Shawfield Park, Bromley, Kent. An eight-cylinder 35 h.p. J.A.P. engine drove a pair of propellers between the trailing-edges of the wings by chains, an additional small propeller being mounted in front of the engine for cooling. The wings were warped for lateral control. The machine was completed in December, 1909, and was taken to Eastchurch in January, 1910, where, after several months of trial-and-error testing, it finally flew well on 10th August, 1910. In the following October the machine was converted into the tractor type when, to improve the cooling, the engine and its pair of main propellers were moved forward. The third smaller propeller was retained to help with the cooling, and the pilot was installed behind the engine. On 31st December, 1910, Leo Jezzi gained his Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate No. 44 with it at Eastchurch. The following year the machine was dismantled and the engine was used in Jezzi's new tractor biplane then being built.