M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
NEALE VI monoplane
This was, it seems, a reconstruction of the previous machine that was being tested in May 1910 at Brooklands. Neale flew the machine on 21 May 1910 with only a 9hp JAP but the fuselage broke on landing, after the failure of the undercarriage. It was later rebuilt with a more powerful engine. The Petre brothers, Howard Flanders and possibly W.O. Manning were involved with the rebuild.
The fuselage, undercarriage and wings were the same as those described before, except that the fuselage was fully covered with fabric. The tail surfaces were completely new; there was now a biplane tail with flexible trailing edge for control in pitch. The rudder was a flexible continuation of the fuselage. A long shallow fin was fitted ahead of the tail unit, on top of the fuselage, with a bicycle type tail wheel below.
9hp JAP twin-cylinder air-cooled vee driving a 7ft 8in diameter propeller
20hp JAP four-cylinder air-cooled vee driving a 7ft 10in diameter propeller
Reduction gearing of 6 to 1 and 3.25 to 1 were fitted to these engines with the propeller shaft passing through the gap between the cylinders.
Span 27ft (30ft *)
Area 140 sq. ft
Length 19ft 10in
Biplane tail 9ft 6in by 2ft 6in
Biplane tail area 50 sq. ft
Weight 360 lb.
Weight allup 490 lb. (530 lb.*)
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
Neale 6 Monoplane
The Neale 6 Monoplane was designed and built by J. V. Neale, and appeared in its original form at the 1909 Blackpool Aviation Meeting. It was a single-seat tractor powered by a 24 h.p. E.N.V. "H" engine. During 1910 it was crashed at Brooklands on 21st May, and was rebuilt by Edward and Henry Petre and R. L. Howard Flanders. Several changes were made at the same time, and included the fitting of a 20 h.p. J. A.P. engine, the covering of the hitherto open fuselage, the substitution of a tailwheel for the skid, and a completely new tail unit comprising a biplane tailplane and a forward-set fin.
Flight, May 14, 1910
The "Neale VI" Monoplane.
WITH reference to the photograph of the new monoplane with which Mr. J. V. Neale is experimenting at Brooklands, which appeared in our issue of last week, we have since received some particulars and dimensions which we now publish. The span of the main planes is 30 ft., and the method of control is by ailerons set in the rigid wings. The weight supported on the front wings amounts to 3.2 lbs. per sq. ft., while on the back surfaces the weight carried is 1.9 lbs. per sq. ft. The propeller, of 7 ft. 8 ins. diameter and 6 ft. 2 ins. pitch, is driven at a speed of 620 revs, through a reduction gear, which is self-contained with the engine. Including aviator, petrol, &c, the machine in running order weighs 530 lbs., and its lifting speed is 32 miles per hour.