Книги

Schiffer
M.Goodall, A.Tagg
British Aircraft before the Great War
774

M.Goodall, A.Tagg - British Aircraft before the Great War /Schiffer/

Bristol Scout Type A of 1914.
The 80 hp Le Rhone Bristol Scout prototype which Lord John Carbery flew in the London-Paris-London Race on 11 July, 1914, and which was lost in the English Channel on the retun trip.
Bristol SSA biplane. This armored Scout was built for a French requirement, but only one example was built.
Avro Type 504 prototype at Hendon in September 1913.
The prototype 504 converted to a seaplane with modified cowlings and ailerons. Summer 1914.
E.F.B.5 prototype as first flown at Joyce Green, showing progressive development, including wooden interplane struts.
Vickers FB.5 Gunbus was the version produced for the RFC and RNAS and used in some numbers in the early months of World War I.
RAF BE.2c prototype flew in May 1914. Staggered wings and a tail fin made the aircraft extremely stable.
Bleriot XI single-seater. The earlier version was the inspiration for many British constructors.
GW Bleriot with ENV engine installation.
British Deperdussin. Military Trials No.20 of 1912.
British Caudron biplane Type G3 used by the RFC. This is A1893.
Airco Henry Farman F20. Served on operations into the early war years but by 1915 was used as a trainer. Also flown as a seaplane.
Airco Maurice Farman Shorthorn. Another pre-war Maurice Farman type that trained pilots throughout the war.
Avro Type 503 landplane in service with the RNAS. No.52.
Bristol Coanda Type GB 75 Works No.223 at Olympia in 1914.
Bristol Coanda Type GB 75 in service with the RFC as No.601 (should be 610).
HP Type G (HP7) biplane of 1913 in original form with twin-skid undercarriage and single long cockpit.
HP Type G (HP7) with modified undercarriage and two cockpits.
Martinsyde SI single-seater scout biplane of 1914 with early-type undercarriage.
Martinsyde SI with the later V-type undercarriage.
W&T flying boat No.3 (NT2). One of a batch of six built in 1914-1915 for the RNAS.
W&T flying boat No.3 (NT2). Modified with additional struts from the nose of the hull to the engine mounting. The NT2A was similar.
The S.E.4, showing its neat engine cowling and the propeller spinner with its internal cooling fan. RAF SE.4 was tested from June 1914 with both 100 and 160 hp Gnome engines, but the undercarriage caused landing problems.
RAF SE.4a prototype with large spinner.
Short S.38. This is constructors No.S.75 (RNAS No.65) a typical example.
Short S.80 the Nile seaplane for McClean. No.16 in his fleet of aircraft later taken into the RNAS as No.905.
Short S.106 (RNAS No. 184) also known as Admiralty Type 184 was a most important naval aircraft. Designed in 1914 it was built in considerable numbers in wartime.
Sopwith Type SPGn Gun Bus with Lewis gun on cranked pillar mounting. The British Admiralty ordered machines similar to the Greek pusher biplanes but with Gnome engines.
Sopwith Type HT (Hydro Tractor) biplane. Three were delivered in 1913. No.59 was used finally as a landplane.
Sopwith Type HS Schneider Cup seaplane by Turk's boathouse at Kingston after conversion to twin floats before dispatch to Monaco.
The second Schneider Trophy contest event, again at Monaco, was won by this Sopwith Tabloid seaplane, flown by Howard Pixton, on 20 April 1914. The design sired a family of successful naval seaplanes.
The Schneider seaplane was fitted with a land undercarriage and was raced by Barnwell as No.21 in the Aerial Derby in May 1914 without success.
Sopwith Type Ds, also known as the Sociable for its side-by-side seating, was built to the instructions of Winston Churchill in 1914.
Sopwith Type StB Stunt Bus. The first of the type later known as Tabloids was a two-seater and was taken to Australia by Hawker.
Sopwith Type SS the single-seater Tabloid scout derived from Hawker's 'Stunt Bus' was used by both the RFC and RNAS. In front is Howard Pixton.
Sopwith Type SS.3 was a much modified Tabloid scout for the RNAS. The wing stagger was deleted and a gun was mounted on the center section.
Sopwith tractor biplane Type D originally referred to as the 'Three-seater'. The prototype flew in February 1913 and became No.33 with the RNAS.
Sopwith Type D, in service with the Military Wing in 1913-1915, was used only as a two-seater.
Wight No.l seaplane with Curtiss-type ailerons mounted midgap.
Wight seaplane Admiralty type 840 was produced in quantity from late 1914 onwards.
Breguet Type U.l biplane. One of a small number built by the British factory.
Hewlett & Blondeau Farman-type biplane for Vickers Flying School.
Hewlett & Blondeau Farman-type biplane for the Pashley Brothers.
GW Type XIV was the Morane-Saulnier Type H produced under license.
G. W. Beatty with the Gyro-Wright with 50hp Gyro engine, which he flew into second place at Hendon in the Speed Handicap on 24 July, 1913.
Beatty-Wright. One of the Wright-type biplanes built by Beatty at Hendon (with Wright engine).
Bristol Boxkite with Gnome rotary engine. The majority built were of similar type.
Short-Wright biplane S.5 was the third of these built for F.K. McLean.
Short-Wright biplane S.6 acquired by Ogilvie after Rolls died. It was much altered by him at Camber Sands and was flown successfully until 1914.
Windham biplane No.l was originally built by de Pischoff and Koechlin in France but was much modified later by Windham. It was shown at Olympia in March 1909.
British Army Aeroplane No.I was largely Cody's work and flew for 200ft on 29 September 1908.
Cody/BAA No.I flew for 74 yards on 16 October 1908.
Cody/BAA No.I A flying with streamers attached on 19 January 1909.
Cody British Army Aeroplane No. I B as it appeared after reconstruction after the removal of its biplane tail and the installation of mid-gap ailerons on 14 May 1909.
Cody No.I C. Although suffering a mishap at Doncaster, the much modified machine was flying strongly to the end of 1909.
Short S.l. The brothers' first aircraft was built at Battersea and shown at Olympia part finished in March 1909. The machine failed to fly when on test at Shellbeach.
Weiss pusher monoplane 'Madge' shown at Olympia in March 1909 but never flew.
Weiss 'Madge' at Fambridge. Gerald Leake in the cockpit.
Henson monoplane. The fullsize version was part of an ambitious scheme in the middle nineteenth century and was to be steam powered.
Franklin biplane of 1909, abandoned after brief trials.
Roe I Triplane. The first all-British machine to fly in 1909 at Lea Marshes.
Roe I Triplane. This is the second variant at Wembley at the end of 1909.
Roe 1 Triplane The version known as the 'Two-and-a-bit-plane'.
Roe II Triplane. Named 'Mercury' two of these machines flew in 1910.
Pilcher Hawk the fourth glider was begun late in 1895 and was flown successfully at Eynsford from 1896 until Pilcher was killed when flying it at Stanford Park, Rugby in September 1899.
Windham monoplane No.l. This tandem monoplane was at Wembley Park in August 1909 but was not capable of flight.
Fulford monoplane on exhibition at Islington in 1909.
Sopwith began his flying career on this ENV powered Howard Wright monoplane in 1910.
Hewitt glider built in 1909 in North Wales was replaced by a Bleriot in 1910.
Sim glider made at Sundridge in Kent in 1909-1910. Although it flew with a man aboard it was flown as a kite to adjust the balance.
Edwards Rhomboidal at Brooklands in 1912. An unlikely looking flying machine.
Star monoplane. The first version tested at Dunstall Park before being shown at Olympia in March 1910.
Bland Mayfly the final version of 1911.
Gibson biplane No.l built at Leith in 1909 was unsuccessful.
Gibson biplane No.2 was a reconstruction of No.l. A further batch of nine was built.
Gibson biplane No.3. A Farman type with twin tractor propellers.
Sanders biplane No.2 of 1911. This is the first version with Alvaston engine and twin pusher propellers.
Sanders biplane No.2. The second version with ENV engine and single pusher propeller.
Candler Stella monoplane of 1910 constructed at Farnborough Kent.
Macfie monoplane built and flown for a short time at Fambridge in 1909.
Mulliner monoplane Model B. One of the few machines bearing the firm's name was shown at Olympia in March 1910. Lightness is the keynote of the well-finished Mulliner monoplane designed by Gordon Stewarts
OLYMPIA, 1910. - The Humber monoplane designed by Capt. Lovelace resembles the Bleriot type, but embodies many different features, notably the tail and the control mechanism.
HP Type A (HP1) The 'Bluebird' of 1910 with Weiss-type wing.
HP Type C (HP3) was a reconstruction of the Type A with Alvaston engine.
Lane monoplane No.l with modified undercarriage.
Lane monoplane No.2 at Olympia in March 1910. Several of the smaller machines at the rear were made.
Lane monoplane No.l at Brooklands.
Nicholson monoplane built by coachbuilders Holland and Holland Ltd. was on the Royal Aero Club stand at Olympia in March 1910.
Spencer-Stirling monoplane was exhibited at Olympia in March 1910 but was soon abandoned.
The George and Jobling biplane was flown at both Eastchurch and Gosforth.
George and Jobling biplane modified with side-curtains on front booms.
Twining No.I biplane was similar to the type 2A glider and was exhibited at Olympia in 1910. View showing the elevators, rudders, and one of the balancing planes on the Twining biplane. This machine has no tail of any description.
Twining No.II biplane was a larger version of No.l and appeared late in 1910.
Bristol license-built Zodiac biplane of 1910. The company's first machine was not a success.
The Petre brothers' monoplane built by them in 1909-1910 at Brooklands.
Humber's first biplane was a side-by-side three-seater for instructional work. At Olympia in March 1910.
Hornstein biplane with Green engine built by the Thames Bank Wharf Co. in 1909-1910. The first machine with JAP engine was tested at Upper Halliford near Shepperton.
"Havilland No. I" completed and ready for trial at Seven Barrows. Note the bevel-driven propellers and the hinged wing-tips. De Havilland No.l was a twin-pusher biplane which suffered structural failure during taxiing trials in December 1909.
Dunne D5 biplane with nosewheel undercarriage was built by Short Bros, at Leysdown in 1909-1910.
Dunne D5 at Eastchurch in 1910 after modifications to the undercarriage and removal of the nosewheel.
Ferguson monoplane No.l was built in Belfast by Harry Ferguson in four versions. This is the first version as tested in December 1909 with Beedle propeller.
Ferguson monoplane No.l second version with modified undercarriage.
Ferguson monoplane No.l third version.
Ferguson monoplane No.l. The fourth version at Magilligan Strand which was wrecked when flying from there in October 1910. The fuselage nose was modified and a skid was fitted.
Ferguson monoplane No.2 was a success and was flying from June 1910 to early 1913. A nosewheel was fitted.
Maxim biplane built at Crayford was an obsolete design when it appeared in 1910 and was abandoned without being tested.
Neale VI a modified version at Brooklands.
Boustead canard glider flown at Wimbledon in 1910.
Piggott No.l biplane built at Ongar, Essex from 1910 was eventually taken to Hendon for testing in 1912 but was a failure.
Paterson biplane No.l. The version with Gnome engine, modified ailerons and other improvements late in 1910.
Mr. C. C. Paterson in the pilot's seat of his British-built biplane, which he made some short flights at Liverpool recently, as recorded in FLIGHT last week.
Paterson biplane No.l built at the Liverpool Motor House where he was a director and tested at Freshfield sands in 1910.
Piffard biplane of 1909 was built at Chiswick and assembled and tested at Ealing.
Piffard biplane No.2 used the engine and parts of No.l and achieved a number of straight flights at Shoreham in 1911.
Short S.27 (Grace No.2) with 60hp ENV F.
Short S.26-S.29 and 34 were fitted with various engines. This is CS. Grace's S.27 with French ENV engine without wing extensions.
Short S.29 was similar with a British ENV.
Moon Moonbeam No.l monoplane of Demoiselle type at Eastleigh in 1910.
Moon Moonbeam No.l monoplane had a modified undercarriage with smaller wheels and skids.
Cody No.IIC and D. The 1910 British Empire Trophy No.l winner with Green engine at Olympia in March 1911.
Cody No.II. This smaller biplane, built for use in 1910, survived until April 1912 in various forms. No.IIb illustrated with British ENV Type F engine.
Batchelor monoplane Eastchurch 1910.
The JAP Harding monoplane was similar to a Bleriot. The first version had ailerons.
Harding in full flight on his J.A.P. monoplane at Blackpool. The JAP Harding monoplane was later fitted with warping wings without ailerons.
Blackburn's first monoplane was tested on the sands at Marske.
The Second Monoplane in unfinished state at the Blackpool Flying Meeting, August 1910, showing the original undercarriage and airscrew. The second Blackburn monoplane flew at Filey in March 1911.
Blackburn Mercury was built in several versions. This is the first type, a two-seater.
Mr. Hucks on the Blackburn Mercury II (Type B) single-seater with Gnome engine at Filey Cliffs.
Blackburn Mercury III with Isaacson radial engine.
Bush glider No.4 of 1910 built at Cambridge by Eldon Bush.
The tailless Locke glider tested at Barking in 1910.
THE SEDDON AEROPLANE. - A most unusual type of aeroplane has made its appearance at Wolverhampton, and is illustrated above. It consists of a tandem biplane, and has been designed by Lieut. J. W. Seddon and Mr. A G. Hackett. Apart from the tandem biplane principle, which has not yet been given any real practical trial, the Seddon machine is also unique in its system of construction, the bracing of the main planes being effected by an arrangement of crossed hoops instead of by the usual system of struts and ties. The constructive work has been carried out by Messrs. Accles and Pollock, at Oldbury, the two engines, which drive Beedle propellers, being supplied by the New Engine Co. The estimated weight of the machine is about one ton, and its supporting surface about 1,000 sq. ft. Beyond the Seddon machine a monoplane is seen.
ASL Valkyrie type A. Single-seater practice machine of 1910.
ASL Valkyrie type B. A passenger could be carried. Used for training and racing.
ASL Valkyrie type C. The most powerful of the Valkyries could lift three people.
Macfie Empress biplane of 1910 flying at Brooklands.
Neale VII biplane of 1910 with an original system of control. It could be flown with ailerons disconnected.
Goldman Crucifer biplane. An ambitious design which was not built.
Passat ornithopter No.l built at Wimbledon in 1908 and tested on the common.
Passat ornithopter No.2 Seagull was reported to have flown at Wimbledon in 1912.
Baden-Powell Scout monoplane at the Stanley Show in 1909.
Stewart monoplane shown at the Stanley Show by the Scout Aero Club in November 1910.
The Howard Wright racing biplane shown at Olympia in 1911 was fitted with a Gnome rotary instead of the usual ENV.
The Howard Wright biplane with which T. O. M. Sopwith won the L4,000 Baron de Forest prize on 18 December, 1910. Tom Sopwith used his Howard Wright biplane very successfully in Britain and America.
HP Type B (HP2) built for Planes Ltd. of Freshfield.
Planes biplane was modified from the Handley Page Type B (HP2) to a single pusher propeller at Freshfield in 1910.
Everett Edgcumbe monoplane built at Hendon in 1910.
Spencer-Stirling biplane with 40hp RH engine. Herbert Spencer used this machine from November 1910 until it was crashed by another pilot in February 1912.
The Spencer-Stirling biplane was later fitted with a 50hp Gnome engine.
Wilson-Gibson monoplane built in 1910 and destroyed by fire at Acton in May 1911.
GW Baby at Olympia in March 1911 was built for GW in America by the Burgess company.
GW New Baby. This is probably the second machine also built by Burgess, which arrived at Hendon in March 1911.
Barnwell monoplane of 1911. Designed by Harold and flown successfully.
Pupin monoplane, with three pairs of wings, seen at Hendon in 1911. A new arrival at the London Aerodrome. Mr. Pupin, the designer, is standing to the right.
Bristol Boxkite with extended upper wing.
Martin-Handasyde monoplane No.2, built at Hendon and tested at Brooklands, was much like an Antoinette including the control system.
This view of the fuselage of No.2 shows the Antoinette-type controls and the side valve JAP engine in use in 1910.
Martin-Handasyde monoplane No.4B Dragonfly at Olympia in March 1911 was fitted with a Gnome engine later replaced by an Antoinette.
Bristol-Challenger-England-Low No.35 monoplane of 1911.
Dunne D6 monoplane built by Short Bros, at Leysdown in 1911.
Dunne D7bis monoplane was a reconstruction of D6 converted to a two-seater with air-cooled engine.
Dunne D7 Auto-Safety monoplane was a smaller version of D6 built for Col. Capper and here seen exhibited at the 1911 Aero Show at Olympia.
Cole Tandem monoplane with folding wings at Olympia in 1911.
Sketch showing the configuration of the Cole Tandem monoplane.
Mulliner Knyplane designed by the firm's Danish manager was at Olympia in 1911. It was not seen subsequently.
Piggott monoplane shown at Olympia in March 1911 was abandoned after damage incurred while on test at Hendon.
The first Avro Type D as originally built.
Avro Type D biplane with 60hp ENV type F in 1911.
Avro Type D. Third aircraft with sloping radiator at Shoreham. Pilot A.E. Geere.
F. P. Raynham seated in the fourth Type D at Brooklands in October 1911.
Avro Type D. Seventh aircraft with 50hp Isaacson radial at Shoreham.
From the Aviator's Storehouse, the projects for Avro monoplane and biplane.
Airco Maurice Farman Longhorn. This complicated design served as a trainer as late as 1918.
Short S.28. McClean had a Green engine fitted but trouble with this prevented his attempt on the Baron de Forest prize. A Gnome was refitted later and a nacelle as on S.35 was added.
Short S.34. An instructional machine for the RNAS.(B.l, T.l and No.l).
Collyns Pizey on Bristol-Challenger-Dickson Type T No.52 at Larkhill, June 1911. One of a batch of racing biplanes based on the Boxkite.
The Bristol Challenger-England Biplane No.59 (a conversion of a Type T to tractor type) on it back at Larkhill after running into a crowd on 19th May, 1912.
The S.E.1 in late June/early July 1911, after the addition of a long skid beneath the nose. It underwear extensive modification and development. RAF SE.l first flown in June 1911 was destroyed in a fatal crash which killed Lt. Ridge.
Bristol-Prier-Dickson monoplane No.73. This is a two-seater short fuselage version.
Bristol-Prier-Dickson monoplane No.98. Advanced trainer with short fuselage.
Cody No.III Circuit of Britain biplane won the British Empire Michelin Trophies Nos.l and 2 of 1912 but was unsuccessful in the circuit contest.
Cody No.III Circuit of Britain biplane in flight.
Macfie biplane built for the 1911 Circuit of Britain but sustained damage and was not rebuilt.
Vickers No.l monoplane of 1911 was a license built REP utilizing a French built fuselage and wings made at Crayford. It was tested at Crayford and Brooklands.
Side view, showing the protruding engine and the manner in which the wing trusses are carried to the base of the fuselage. An idea of the wing cross section may also be gathered.
Billing biplane of 1911. Eardley Billing used the wings of a Voisin in its construction.
Short S.27 Tandem-Twin. A major conversion of the original S.27 was acquired by McClean and loaned by him to the Admiralty.
Short S.39 rebuilt to resemble S.38 type and became RNAS 3.
Gaunt achieved some success at last with his second biplane.
Gaunt See-Saw aeroplane had no future.
Flanders F2 a single-seater of 1911 was the constructors' first machine to be completed.
Flanders F3 was the two-seater version of F2 which crashed with fatal results at Brooklands in May 1912.
Flanders F3 with early Marconi wireless at Brooklands.
Breguet with horizontal Salmson engine. British-built and generally similar to other current Breguet types.
Bleriot XI-2. The two-seater.
Dunne D8 with 50hp Gnome at Farnborough.
Forbes and Arnold monoplane of patented design was built in Essex in 1910-1911 and may have lifted off briefly.
Nottingham monoplane built in 1911 by three friends soon faded into obscurity.
Paterson biplane No.2 was built at Cricklewood by Lawtons Motor Body Works in 1911 and soon dispatched to South Africa.
Paterson biplane No.2 was also flown as a seaplane.
Martin-Handasyde monoplane No.5 built in 1911 crashed at Richmond with fatal results to Graham Gilmour in February 1912.
British Caudron biplane Type C. Typical of machines constructed by the British company and several other firms.
Caudron G2 biplane built by Hewlett & Blondeau.
Hall-built Caudron G2 biplane at Hendon.
Barton-Rawson multiplane of 1905 at St Helens Isle of Wight.
ASL Viking after conversion to a single propeller seaplane by Chanter.
This photograph of the B.E.I, taken on Farnborough Common, bears the contemporary caption 'The Silent Army Aeroplane'. The wheel tracks demonstrate the machine's impressively small ground turning circle. RAF BE.2 was also fitted with unequal span wings but had a Renault aircooled engine.
The first person in the British Empire to make true flights from water was Herbert Stanley Adams, who made two sucessful flights of this seaplane, the Avro-Curtiss later named the Lakes Waterbird, on 25 November 1911.
Lakes Waterbird was a Curtiss-type and was built by Avro in 1911.
Lakes Waterhen was a modified copy of the Waterbird built by the Lakes company at Windermere in 1912. Shown here with single float.
Short S.36. The basis for a succession of tractor biplanes was built for McClean in 1911 and followed the abandoned S.32 for the late Cecil Grace.
Short S.51 went to CFS as No.424 in 1912. S.45 and S.50 were similar machines.
Short S.45 (RNAS Nos.T.5 and 5) as a central float seaplane.
SAC Dart was a much modified Bleriot monoplane flown at Barrhead in 1911 and destroyed by fire with the other SAC machines. The pilot is the comedian Harry Tate.
Hanriot monoplane built by Hewlett and Blondeau.
Avro biplane for Australian John Duigan. As built originally with horizontally opposed Alvaston engine in 1911.
The Avro Duigan biplane with ENV engine in 1912.
Avro Type E (500) in original form with deep radiators.
Avro Type E (500) with 60hp ENV and radiator on center section of top wing.
Avro Type F enclosed monoplane of 1912.
Gnosspelius No.2 hydro-monoplane was tested in 1911 but could not be flown until 1912 after changes to the floats.
COW biplane No.10 (first version) with cutout in upper wing center section at Brooklands.
COW biplane (second version) with parallel chord wing.
COW biplane No.10 (third version) with direct propeller drive.
Short S.41 land or seaplane was first flown in April 1912 (RNAS H.l and No.10).
Short S.41 improved versions S.56 and 57 (RNAS Nos.21 and 20).
Radley & Moorhouse monoplane was evolved from a Bleriot into a singleseater for racing.
Vickers No.II monoplane at Brooklands in 1911-1912.
Vickers No.V monoplane at Brooklands. Major changes to the basic design were incorporated in this version, the fuselage being much deeper.
Vickers No.VII monoplane with 100hp Gnome was the most powerful of the type.
Cody No.IV. The monoplane intended for the Military Trials of 1912 but damaged beyond repair before the competition.
The Mersey monoplane which crashed with fatal results during the Military Trials of 1912.
Flanders B2. The firm's only biplane was constructed in 1912 for the Military Trials but was under-powered with its 40hp ABC, fitted when the 100hp ABC failed on test.
Flanders B2 modified and fitted with an Isaacson radial engine in 1913.
Flanders B2 in its final form with cowled Gnome rotary in 1914.
Bristol Coanda monoplane Works No.105 of 1912. No.14 in the Military Trials.
Bristol GE 2 biplane Works No.103 of 1912. No.12 in the Military Trials.
Martin-Handasyde Serial No.278 with Antoinette engine was supplied to the RFC in 1912.
Martin-Handasyde produced two machines for the Military Trials. This version had an Antoinette engine.
Martin-Handasyde produced two machines for the Military Trials. This version was fitted with the unsatisfactory Chenu engine, the other had an Antoinette.
Harold Barnwell flew this Austro-Daimler powered Martin-Handasyde in the 1913 Aerial Derby.
Avro Type G enclosed biplane at Larkhill for the Military Trials.
Short S.47. The Triple-Tractor (RNAS Nos.T.4 and 4) was first flown by McClean in July 1912.
RAF BE.3 was the first of a small number of rotary-powered aircraft supplied to the RFC in 1912-1913.
Vickers No. 6 monoplane with Viale engine at the War Office Military Aeroplane Trials in 1912 at Larkhill, Salisbury Plain.
Vickers No.VI monoplane was a major redesign with side-by-side seating.
GW Baby Racer a much modified version at Hendon.
GW School biplane with Gnome engine and single rudder.
Sopwith-Wright biplane. The reconstruction of the American Burgess-Wright bought in 1911.
The monoplane built by A.V. Roe for Lt. R. Burga of the Peruvian Navy, at Shoreham in November 1912.
Jezzi biplane No.2 in its final form in 1912 at Eastchurch.
Flanders F4. Four of these monoplanes were built at the new Richmond works in 1912 for the War Office but were discarded after the official ban on monoplanes for the RFC.
Megone biplane with shortspan lower wing in 1912-1913 at Hawkinge.
GW Type VII Popular. The modified version offered in the 1913 catalogue.
GW Type XI Military biplane. The only one of the type of 1914.
THE NEW 90-H.P. MILITARY GRAHAME-WHITE BIPLANE. - It will be seen that a quick-firing gun is mounted on the nose of the body. It can operate throughout a range of 50° vertically and 90° horizontally.
GW Type VI Military biplane was never used by the RFC.
GW Type VIII hydro-biplane as exhibited in seaplane form in March 1913.
GW Type VIII with land chassis as acquired for the RFC in April 1913.
Porter Gyropachute was an unusual type exhibited at Olympia in March 1913 of which no more was heard.
Sopwith hydro-biplane of the type later called Bat Boats. This shows the machine outside SE Saunders works at East Cowes in 1912. It had been built at Brooklands using a Saunders-built Consuta sewn hull but failed on test.
Sopwith Bat Boat (Type 1) BB.l nearly complete in the Rink at Kingston January 1913.
Sopwith Bat Boat BB.2 as first built in mid 1913.
The Bat Boat I (with single rudder, and no bow-mounted elevator) was a new sight for British eyes.
Sopwith Bat Boat BB.3 the amphibious version with Green engine in which Hawker won the Mortimer Singer prize in 1913.
BB.3 later served as No.118 with the RNAS fitted with twin fins and a headlight and with the wheels removed.
Sopwith Bat Boat BB.2 with later type tail in 1914. Became No.38 with the RNAS.
Sopwith Bat Boat (Type 2) BBS. Two of this type were built with Salmson engines. The first became RNAS No.127.
Bat Boat No. 127 after going to the Greek Naval Air Corps.
One of the Salmson engined Bat Boats was delivered to the German Naval Air Service just before war was declared.
Sopwith Bat Boat (Type 2) BBS. A third machine with Sunbeam engine and other changes was built to compete in the abandoned Seaplane Circuit of Britain of 1914.
The Circuit Bat Boat (Type 2) BBS was impressed in August 1914 as RNAS No.879.
The demise of Bat Boat BB.l on the River Medina at Whippingham in March 1913.
Vickers EFB.l Destroyer at Olympia in February 1913. It crashed on its first flight.
Avro Type E (500) with simple skids at wingtips.
Avro 500 of the Royal Flying Corps with modified rudder (Avro Type 502 ES).
Blackburn 1912 single-seater monoplane. One still flies with the Shuttleworth Collection.
Radley-England Waterplane No.l. This twinhull flying boat was built at Portholme in 1912-1913.
Dyott monoplane built by Hewlett & Blondeau in 1913.
Wong biplane was a two-seater built at Shoreham in 1913.
Parsons biplane of 1913 at Brooklands. The heavy Aster engine was later replaced by a Gnome rotary.
Parsons pendulum paddle-wheel stabilizer was tested on the biplane
Vickers No.26 'Pumpkin' biplane with 50hp Vickers-Boucier engine.
Phillips No.l multiplane was steam-powered and was tested on a circular track at Harrow in 1893.
Lakes Seabird was a reconstruction of the Avro Duigan biplane in 1912.
Cody No.VIA for the Seaplane Circuit of Britain was flown only with land undercarriage. This is the machine in which Cody was killed.
Cody No.VIB. The Waterplane, fitted with floats by Harmsworth of Ash Vale, was flotation tested but not flown.
Westlake monoplane was completed in 1913 and made a number of straight flights.
Airco. The MF 7bis seaplane version of the Longhorn had no front booms or foreplane.
GW Charabanc of 1913-1914 was designed to carry four passengers but flew with eleven aboard. Fitted with a Green engine.
GW School biplane with Gnome engine became RFC No.309.
GW Type XV pusher biplane with front elevator.
GW Type XV in the second form with dual control and wing extensions. This is a GW School machine with Green engine.
GW biplane 'Lizzie'. First version of 1913, a Morane fuselage with wings of a Popular.
GW biplane 'Lizzie'. Second version with two bay wings in 1914.
Avro 508 pusher biplane at Brooklands in 1914.
F. P. Raynham - nearest to camera - supports the tail of the Avro 511 Arrowscout which he was to have flown in the 1914 Aerial Derby but which was withdrawn on the day before the race.
F. P. Raynham in the Avro 511 at Hendon on May 23, 1914. Later modified with straight wings to become Type 514.
Flying boat PB1 reidentified later as PB7 was shown at Olympia in March 1914.
Flying boat PB1 reidentified as PB9 after modification to twin-pusher layout.
Bleriot Parasol monoplane used by the RFC was built at Brooklands and Addlestone.
Hamble HL1 hydro-biplane at Olympia in March 1914 was abandoned when the company was liquidated later in the year.
Perry Beadle B3 flying boat in the works of SE Saunders Ltd. at Cowes where it was constructed in 1914.
Perry Beadle B3 flying boat on test on Lake Windermere in 1915.
Vickers Scout biplane shown at Olympia in March 1914. Only one was built.
Lee-Richards annular monoplane No.l of 1913 before covering.
Lee-Richards annular monoplane No.2 of 1914 was similar to No.l but with additional elevators above the tail and behind the wings.
Lee-Richards No.3 annular monoplane of 1914, the final version.
Original Watson No. 2 with biplane tail of 1910.
A pusher biplane was built by Martin-Handasyde for the 1914 Aerial Derby which was abandoned.
RAF RE.l. Only two of these machines were built in 1913.
The fuselage of the immense Martinsyde monoplane, showing central sections of wings in place. The wing extensions are considerably larger than these centre parts of the planes, to which they are secured by means of the lugs seen in the photograph. The wing and rudder of the Transatlantic monoplane were actually completed at Brooklands.
Artist's impression of the Transatlantic Martinsyde which was not completed.
The James brothers of Narberth built this Caudron Type C in 1913 and later rebuilt it as a two-seater.
Sopwith Type SPAz. with 100hp Anzani. The type was first ordered by the Greek government.
Vickers FB.6 had a top wing of increased span; the sole example was built in July 1914.
Grahame-White Scout with Marcus Manton in rear cockpit.
GW Type XIII was later tested with a wheel undercarriage but no production ensued.
Scout biplane PB9 later PB13 was built in seven days in August 1914, was tested at Netley and Brooklands and taken over by the RNAS.
EAC twin-tractor biplane built for the Seaplane Circuit of Britain abandoned in 1914.
Avro 510 seaplane prototype at Calshot in August 1914.
Blackburn Type L seaplane on Scarborough beach.
Lakes (later Northern Aircraft Co.) monoplane was built by Borwicks boat-builders of Bowness in 1913-1914 originally with a central float.
The hydro-monoplane designed by Mr. Gnospellus and built by the Lakes Flying Co., which has now been acquired by the Northern Aircraft Co. Mr. W. Rowland Ding is In the pilot's seat ready for a flight.
The Roe I biplane at Brooklands in 1908 showing the 9 h.p. twin cylinder J.A.P. engine amidships.
Humphreys biplane was built at Wivenhoe in 1908-1909 but could not become airborne.
Mortimer and Vaughan biplane. The fullsize version of this model was built but burned on test in 1910.
Mann & Grimmer Ml biplane was built at Surbiton in 1914 and was tested at Hendon throughout 1915. Shown here with original undercarriage.
The 125 h.p. (Anzani) Mann twin-pusher biplane in its latest form with simplified undercarriage.
L & P (London & Provincial) biplane was of Caudron type built at Hendon in 1914 and later.
Cayley's 'Governable Parachute' monoplane glider of 1852-1853 which made a manned flight of 500 yards.
Wenham multiplane glider was tested in 1858-1859 with no great success.
Frost ornithopter of 1877 was steam-powered and quite impractical.
Frost ornithopter of 1905 was able to 'jump' under the power of its motorcycle engine.
Pilcher Bat glider. The first version of 1895 built and tested near Glasgow.
Pilcher Bat. The second version was fitted with a tailplane.
The Beetle. Pilcher's second glider was unsatisfactory and was soon abandoned in 1895.
Pilcher constructed the Gull, his third glider, in Scotland but moved to Eynsford in Kent in 1896 where it flew successfully.
Spencer biplane of Henry Farman type was used as a trainer at Brooklands and impressed in September 1914 as RNAS No.200.
Sopwith biplane known as the Hybrid because of its Wright-type wings with a new tractor fuselage. Flown at Brooklands in July 1912 in its first form. Later, its fuselage was entirely covered and mounted directly on the lower wing. The wing cellule came from a Burgess-Wright biplane.
Sopwith Hybrid with modified fuselage and two wheel undercarriage.
De Bolotoff triplane which finally appeared in 1913.
Aerial Manufacturing Company monoplane with folding undercarriage and subsidiary stabilizers covered by Patent No.21 189/1909.
Aerial Wheel monoplane. The design of this 1912 monoplane concentrated on the rough field performance for the Military Trials, but its flying ability was never tested.
Two rough sketches giving an idea of the arrangement and proportions of the monoplane entered by the Aerial Wheel Syndicate.
Aeroplane Building & Flying Society. One of many gliders built by enthusiasts, which led nowhere.
The remains of the Aldritt monoplane at Filching Manor. The bamboo main spars are noteworthy.
Alvarez Monoplane. Made by the firm of C.G. Spencer in 1904 and dropped from a balloon.
Amoore Monoplane - Diagram from Patent No. 29252 of 1912.
Armstrong Whitworth FK1. Koolhoven's first design for this large armament company.
The completed F.K.l, also known as the Sissit, was originally designed as a monoplane. It was first flown by Koolhoven himself, probably in 1914.
Armstrong Whitworth FK1 with modified ailerons.
Armstrong monoplane No.l as originally built with tailwheel. The pilot is Gordon Armstrong.
The Armstrong monoplane as modified after crashing on its first flight. The tailwheel has been replaced by a Bleriot-type bamboo tail-skid.
Astley's second machine of 1911 was probably only a reconstruction of No.l.
Avro Farman-type biplane built for the Edwards brothers.
The Avro 501 in landplane form with naval serial 16 at Eastchurch 1913.
Avro 509 twin pusher biplane No.94, which did not reach service with the RNAS.
Baden-Powell ornithopter gliding machine of 1898.
Baden-Powell gliding experiments at Crystal Palace in 1904. The biplane glider.
Baden-Powell. Mockup predecessor of the quadruplane.
Baden-Powell quadruplane of 1909 at Dagenham.
Baden-Powell quadruplane of 1910-1911 partly built.
Baird monoplane built at Rothesay in 1909-1910.
Balston's ornithopter model of 1907.
Balston's full-size version of 1907-1908.
Horatio Barber's first aeroplane, built for him at Battersea by Howard Wright in 1908-1909, seen at Larkhill on SalIsbury Plain.
Barnwell 1908 monoplane which did not fly.
Barnwell biplane of 1909 flown briefly by Harold Barnwell.
Bass-Paterson flying boat built by S.E. Saunders & Co. in 1914.
Bastin ornithopter. A sketch which gives an idea of the appearance of this machine.
Beer glider. Built at Cardiff in 1912.
Belbin cycleplane built at Battersea.
Bellamy biplane. 'The Great White Flying Bird' which never flew. At Brooklands 1907.
Bellamy monoplane 1908 at Petersham meadows near Richmond, Surrey.
Benton biplane B.II at Chalvey near Slough 1911.
Benton B.III and later versions were conventional tractor biplanes. The illustration is of the B.VII.
Boultbee monoplane under construction in 1909. It was not completed.
Bragg-Smith model of automatic stability biplane. The fullsize machine was started at Brooklands in 1911 but was not completed.
Bragg-Smith biplane. Drawing of the fullsize version.
Brearey glider. One of a number of designs by this early pioneer.
No. 64 with modified radiator and empennage at Larkhill, July 1912.
Bristol Coanda seaplane at Cowes for testing by Harry Busteed.
Bristol Coanda Type PB 8 Works No.99. Completed but never flew.
Bristol Burney X 3 monoplane Works No.159 of 1914.
Britain triplane was flown at Wembley by B. Seamer in August 1909. This is the patent drawing.
Brocklehurst monoplane. Diagrams from Patent No.26 810/1911.
Bush Motorplane No.8 of 1912 built at Bath by the brothers.
Campbell Briton monoplane of 1910. Malcolm Campbell later became a famous racing and record breaking motorist.
Cayley schemed this helicopter-aeroplane in 1842-1843 but it was not built.
Channon biplane in its original form as a glider.
Channon pusher biplane tested from a starting rail in September 1910.
TWK Clarke glider of 1906-1907 with original elevator, being flown as a kite at Cooper's Hill.
Clarke airborne with the modified glider.
The later Clarke Chanute-type glider of 1909-1910.
Clarke tailless biplane glider of 1910.
Clarke swept wing monoplane glider photographed in 1918.
Ogilvie glider. A modified Wright-type bought from TWK Clarke.
The Clarke prize-winning monoplane of 1910.
Clayton biplane. An ambitious design which came to nothing.
Cleveland biplane built in 1910. It is not known if it flew.
Clout helicopter. This 1903 design was abandoned through lack of official interest.
Cody biplane glider built at Crystal Palace in 1905.
Cody motorkite biplane of 1905.
Cody Wright-type glider of 1907-1908 being flown as a kite.
Cody No.VA and B. The winner of the Military Trials of 1912 became No.301 in the RFC. A second machine No.304 is still on display at the Science Museum.
Cody No.V C was fitted with a 100hp Green engine and then won the British Empire Michelin Trophy No.2 of 1912.
Collier monoplane of 1910 was virtually a Bleriot.
Collins-Hancock monoplane. A design for a lightweight military scout.
Collyer-England biplane in 1911 with Alvaston engine.
Colston glider was built in Glasgow by A. Miller in 1914.
Comet Aerocycle on display at Olympia in March 1910.
Conisbrough Club. The Demoiselle type glider being built in 1911 by Wright and Wilson at Doncaster.
Wright & Wilton glider was built by two members of the Conisborough club in 1911.
Cooper glider No.l built in 1911 while at Charterhouse school.
Cooper biplane made several successful flights at Cramond in 1913.
Cordner monoplane No.l built in Northern Ireland in 1909-1910 with wing with patented tunnels.
Davidson Air-Car monoplane. The 1906-1908 version partially built in America.
Davidson Air-Car monoplane. The 1897-1898 version with twenty-two lifters.
Davidson Gyropter tandem biplane of 1908-1911. This model was at the Olympia Aero Show in 1911 and construction was well advanced at Taplow.
Dawson and de Pavillet monoplane constructed by the Canterbury Motor Co. in June 1910.
The Ding-Sayers monoplane of 1911 was based on this prize-winning model.
Donovan monoplane model of the unsuccessful fullsize machine.
Donovan monoplane with additional contra-rotating propellers for vertical lift of 1909 was a failure. The drawings are from Patent No.21618/1908.
Druiff-Neate Cycloplane. A pedal-powered machine made for the designers by C.G. Spencer & Co. in 1909.
The Dunne-Capper monoplane was evolved from Col. Capper's glider at Larkhill and was first tested in January 1911 but could not be made to lift off.
The Dunne-Capper monoplane with twin nosewheels at some stage of its development.
Dunne D9 monoplane built by Levis Ltd. for R.E. James in 1913 was wrecked on its first takeoff.
East Grinstead Boy Scouts Chanute type glider of 1912.
East London glider. A sketch which appeared in 1911.
Edinburgh cycle biplane. A sketch which was published in 1909.
Elsworth monoplane at Bolden racecourse in 1910.
Empress monoplane outside the Empress factory. Charles Fletcher is on the far right.
Empress biplane at Manchester Race Course in August 1910. Charles Fletcher at the controls.
Evans monoplane with the constructor at Doe Lea, Derbyshire in 1911.
Evershed biplane of 1910 built at Burton-on-Trent.
Fardell glider. Built on the Isle of Wight in 1910.
Favre monoplane of 1910-1911 seems not to have been completed.
Fay-Wilkinson biplane. Sketch of the machine which was partly built in 1909.
Fill monoplane was an 'unofficial' Bleriot type constructed at the Eastbourne Aviation Co.
Flanders Fl twin-pusher monoplane was partly built between October 1910 and May 1911 but was abandoned through lack of the selected engine.
Francis Comet cycloplane with multiple wings of 1910.
Gaskell-Blackburn biplane was built from parts of three other machines in 1913-1914.
Gaunt Cycloplane, a lift-aid for cyclists.
Gerrard monoplane wrecked at the London Aviation Ground, Acton in December 1910.
Gibson ornithopter of 1868. This optimistic machine was at the Aeronautical Society's Exhibition at the Crystal Palace.
Gloucester monoplane an unsuccessful venture of 1910.
Gnosspelius No.l hydro-monoplane was tested, but not flown at Windermere in 1910.
Goodden Dragonfly built and flown in 1912 by Frank Goodden, the famous Farnborough testpilot killed in the SE.5 prototype.
Gould monoplane was an 'unofficial' Bleriot type.
Gould biplane under construction at Exeter in 1910.
GW Type XV. The first of many supplied to the RNAS and RFC fitted with a nacelle.
Grohmann monoplane built near Blackburn in 1910.
Groombridge & South multiplane. A fullsize mockup of a project of 1903.
Grove glider built at Haslemere during 1909.
Guillon and Clouzy biplane, built in 1907 by two Frenchmen, was tested on Epsom Downs.
Hammant. This ambitious scheme for a direct-lift machine was tested in model form only after being patented in 1908.
Hammond was at Brooklands in the Spring of 1909 with this crude biplane.
Hammond was constructing this monoplane at Brooklands in 1913.
Hampshire Aero Club glider resulted from work carried out at the United Services College at Windsor sponsored by P.Y. Alexander.
Hart patented wing was tested on a Bleriot monoplane at Hendon in 1912.
Hartill monoplane was of Demoiselle type and was at the Dunstall Park Meeting Wolverhampton in 1910.
Hawkins-Ogilvie triplane built by Handley Page for partners from New Zealand was tested near Winchester and at Brooklands in 1911.
Henshaw cycloplane of 1910 had insufficient wing area to achieve gliding flight.
Hewitt ornithopter of 1908 built at Belfast.
Hewlett biplane glider possibly with Francis Hewlett at the controls.
Higgins glider of 1910 on Cleve Hill, Cheltenham was fitted with an engine later without success.
Hill glider was built by the brothers at their Sussex home in 1913-1914. Later they became well known in aviation circles.
Hill folding glider designed by a member of the Paddington Aero Club in 1912.
Hopkirk and McCormick glider built in Ireland in 1912.
Howard Wright built several Capone helicopters. This is the second version in 1909.
Humber monoplane of Bleriot-type was flown in France and Egypt in 1910.
A modified version of the 1910-1911 Humber biplane in India without the top-wing extensions and the sloping side-curtains.
Humphreys monoplane No.l, also built by Forrester's boatyard at Wivenhoe, was probably not completed.
Humphreys monoplane No.2 at Wivenhoe.
Humphreys monoplane No.2. Was taken to the 1910 Blackpool Meeting but not flown.
Humphreys monoplane No.3, nicknamed the Elephant. Shown here in its shed at Wivenhoe.
Humphreys monoplane No.3 with modified undercarriage and radiators. Was tested at Brooklands and took off with three people aboard.
Hutton & Wilson monoplane at Scarborough in 1910.
Jezzi biplane No.l at Eastchurch in 1910 in original pusher configuration.
Jezzi biplane No.l in 1910-1911 after conversion to tractor layout.
Keith- Weiss Aviette was tested as an unmanned glider at Amberley in 1912.
King monoplane built in 1908-1909 at Kessingland flew locally until wrecked during a gale.
Kitchen annular biplane the forerunner of later machines by Lee and Richards.
Kitchen-Lee-Richards glider version No.1 tested near Kirby Lonsdale in 1912.
The third and final version of the Kitchen-Lee-Richards glider.
Laking biplane No.l was taken over by Frank Fitch and flown near Clacton in July 1911.
Lane glider operated on the Members Hill at Brooklands in 1910.
Langley-Smithers monoplane of 1908-1909 at Knockholt, Kent.
LGD glider made by members of staff of The Motor in 1909.
Liwentaal glider. Artist's impression of the machine of 1894.
Liwentaal monoplane. Patent drawings of the proposed monoplane of 1911 with control by air jets.
The completed Victor Long monoplane probably never flew and was disposed of in 1911.
Lumb monoplane built at Blackpool was at the Meeting of 1909 but did not fly.
Lyster-Smythe glider built in Ireland in 1909.
McArdle and Gould monoplane was built at Bournemouth in 1909.
Mackenzie-Hughes triplane at Brooklands in 1910.
Mackenzie-Osborne multiplane built and tested near Lincoln in 1910.
Mann monoplane at Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton in 1910.
Manning-Flanders MF1. This is the 1974 replica of the abandoned design, made from the original drawings.
Martin-Handasyde monoplane No.l under construction in 1908-1909.
Martin-Handasyde monoplane No.l. Modified version after completion at Welsh Harp.
Maund monoplane of 1910 had only a brief existence.
Maxfield biplane. A sketch of a project of 1909 showing unusual center section of top wing.
Maxfield monoplane which was flown at Castle Bromwich in September 1909 on show at the Midland Aero Club Show in Birmingham.
Maxfield monoplane (1/2 size) shown at Olympia in March 1910.
The Metzgar and Leno monoplane was built at Clapham and tested at Shoreham in 1912.
The Miller helicopter was built at Putney in 1909.
Miller ornithopter; a project of 1784.
Moore-Brabazon glider built by Short Bros, in 1907 was unsatisfactory on test.
Moy Aerial Steamer which lifted, unmanned, off a circular track at Crystal Palace in 1875.
Moy ornithopter was tested in model form in 1901 but did not result in a practical aircraft.
Moya Balloonoplane No.3 exhibited at Olympia in March 1910.
Musgrave biplane was under construction from 1911-1914 by which time it was obsolete and Major Musgrave had died.
Natura ornithopter at the Aero Show at Olympia in March 1910 received little mention and was an obvious lost cause.
Neale Pup monoplane. Neale took this to the Blackpool Meeting of October 1909 but did not fly due to damage and weather conditions.
Newington (Ling) monoplane built at Hull and exhibited there in 1909. Failed to achieve flight on test in 1910.
Northern Aircraft Co. PB1. The original machine in 1914 with water-cooled Green engine.
Northern Aircraft Co. PB2. This was PB1 reengined with a Gnome rotary.
North London "Flying House" seen in unfinished state at Alexandra Palace in November 1906.
Nyborg monoplane at Bolden racecourse, Newcastle on Tyne in 1910.
Line drawing of the Oliver biplane.
Pashley biplane built by the Pashley brothers in 1914 and used by them at Shoreham.
Pemberton Billing PBO glider was his first attempt at flight.
Pemberton Billing PB5 monoplane of 1909 built at Woolston was evolved from the earlier PB1 and PB3.
Flying boat PB2 later PB11, a 1914 project for a two-seater that was not built.
Flying lifeboats PB5 and 7 later renamed PB21 and 19 respectively with slipwing allowing the hull to proceed separately. One was basically complete in July 1914.
Pemberton Billing Boxkite biplane PB11 (PB15) became RNAS 1374.
Percival Parseval 1 biplane a reconstruction of the Billing and a Voisin of 1911-1912.
Perry Beadle Tl biplane built at Beaulieu in 1913.
Perry Beadle T2 biplane modified from the Tl at Brooklands in 1914.
Phillips No.2 multiplane was tested at Southminster in Essex in 1903 and is reported to have lifted off briefly.
Phillips No.3 multiplane. This petrol-engined machine was able to take off and fly a short distance at Mitcham in 1904.
Phillips No.5 multiplane was airborne at Streatham for a 500ft straight flight and for circular flights anchored to a pole in 1907.
The Pickersgill monoplane with parallel chord wing built in Yorkshire in 1909-1910.
Piffard hydro-biplane No.3 tested without success at Shoreham in 1911.
Piffard hydro-biplane No.4 was also tested at Shoreham in 1911 but was wrecked before flying.
The Pilcher multiplane was not completed but this artists impression is based on the surviving drawings.
Porte Demoiselle-type monoplane built at Portsmouth in 1910.
Porter helicopter of 1908 which was an early form of hovercraft.
Radley monoplane with gullwing was built at Huntingdon in 1911 but was wrecked in January 1912 by the inexperienced purchaser.
FE.2 the 1911 version was a reconstruction of the FE.l.
RAF SE.2 was a reconstruction of the crashed BS.l which flew in October 1913.
RAF SE.2a was transferred to the RFC in January 1914 and served in France armed with two rifles until March 1915.
RAS monoplane was built at Gosport in 1910 but was not developed.
Rathen biplane intended to compete in the Daily Mail flight from Glasgow to Edinburgh was not completed in 1911.
Cyril Ridley from Thames Ditton built this glider in 1910 while still at Arundel House School. He flew it at Sandown Park and the Crystal Palace.
Ridley monoplane glider proposed for construction in 1911.
Rolls powered glider (RPG) of 1909-1910 built by Shorts at Eastchurch and developed by C.S. Rolls just prior to his death.
Rowell monoplane built in 1910-1912 at Cheltenham.
Sanders biplane No.l was built and tested near Kessingland in 1909-1910. It flew successfully until it hit telephone wires.
Saul tandem biplane No.l built at Woolwich by Handley Page and flown briefly by him in 1909.
Saul tandem biplane No.2 outside the Barking works of Handley Page where it was built in 1909.
Saunderson monoplane No.l 'Mayfly' was taken to the Blackpool Meeting in October 1909 but did not fly.
Saunderson monoplane No.2 'Verifly' was tested at St Albans in 1910.
Schmarz ornithopter built in Liverpool in 1909-1910 with the intention of flying across the River Mersey.
Sheffield and District Aero Club glider flown under tow in 1910.
Sheffield Model Aero Club glider built by SH Dewsnap.
Short-Wright glider S.9 as delivered to Rolls in July 1909 for practice prior to completion of his powered Short-Wright.
Short-Wright glider S.9 at Leysdon in August 1909 after rear rudder and 'halfmoons' had been fitted.
Short S.38 amphibian made the first takeoff from a British warship.
Short S.60 (RNAS No.42) in seaplane form in 1913.
Short S.60 (RNAS No.42) after conversion to land chassis was built in 1913 and written off in France in September 1914.
Short S.68 built for McClean to compete in the 1913 Seaplane Circuit of Britain. (Courtesy John Blake).
Short S.68 was later fitted with an extended lower wing.
Short S.64 (RNAS No.81) The first machine with folding wings known as Admiralty Type 74. Improvements were built into later batches.
Short S.83 (RNAS No.120) A batch of four built in 1913-1914 were identified as Admiralty Type 81 and were three bay versions of the Type 74 Folder.
Short S.115 (RNAS No.818) was one of a batch of Type C folder seaplanes based on S.69 Admiralty Type 74.
Short S.88 (RNAS No.135), fitted with a lower powered engine, was smaller but generally similar.
Short S.94 (RNAS No.165) one of a batch built in 1914-1915 known as Admiralty Type 166.
Shorter monoplane cycleplane made by a member of Coventry Aero Club which hopped down slopes in early 1914.
Simms monoplane built in 1908-1909 at Chipping Norton.
Simms biplane cycleplane of 1910 was wrecked as it started to lift.
Sirie monoplane. An interesting design based on the leaf of an oriental tree.
Skinner monoplane built by Mulliners at Clapham Junction and tested at Brooklands in 1911.
Smith multiplane built at Daubhill, Lancashire in 1910-1912 used Phillips-style aerofoils. It is doubtful if it flew and was soon abandoned.
Sonoda biplane was built at Barking by Handley Page. It was at Hendon in July 1912 but was wrecked in September.
Sopwith Type ST hydro-biplane. This large twin-engined pusher was built in late 1913 as No.61 for the RNAS but was canceled before delivery. It was intended to be a carrier of the Vickers 1 1/2 pounder gun.
This drawing of the nacelle shows the coupled engine arrangement of the Type ST.
The RNAS conducted trials with the Sopwith Type TT at Calshot.
Sopwith Type TT was built early in 1914 to develop torpedo dropping. It was designed for taxiing only.
Sopwith Type D.3 built in 1914 to compete in the Circuit of Britain. Victor Mahl was pilot, Tom Sopwith just behind the machine.
Sopwith Type D.3 as a seaplane bearing the compromised serial No.896.
Despite its reputation, the 'Spinning Jenny' carried out patrol work from Yarmouth but later in 1915 was used as a trainer.
Sopwith Type D.5 developed from the Circuit biplane had unstaggered wings and was nicknamed 'Spinning Jenny'.
Whatever its vices or deficiencies, the Sopwith Two-seater Scout was of trim appearance, even when titled (as in this instance) with a bomb-carrier, more or less between the rear legs of the heightened landing gear. The same aeroplane is shown in the next picture.
This Type 860 at Isle of Grain in 1915 had the enlarged fin and wire braced wing extensions.
Sopwith Type FTS seaplane Admiralty Type C torpedo carrier. This GA drawing shows side-by-side seating and probably approximates to the actual aircraft of which no photographs have been traced.
Sopwith tractor biplane 'The Sigrist Bus'.
South West of England Aeronautical Society monoplane under construction.
Spencer glider of 1868 was exhibited at the Crystal Palace. Charles Spencer claimed to have flown from a slope in this strange device.
Spencer biplane. Herbert Spencer used part of the Macfie Empress biplane to construct this machine which made its first flight at Brooklands in mid-1912.
Stoddart ornithopter. An optimistic design of 1907-1909.
Stringfellow models. Some of the many models built by John Stringfellow and his son between 1835-1900.
Summerfield glider was built at Melton Mowbray in 1911.
Swann monoplane was built by the Austin Motor Co. and tested at Aintree racecourse in 1909.
Swann biplane. After little success with the monoplane it was extensively redesigned as a biplane but was again a failure.
Talbot-Quick waterplane was launched on the River Crouch in August 1914 and was a complete failure.
The Talbot Waterplane at Fambridge, Essex.
Teasdale-Buckell vertical lift machine of 1910 was not successful in achieving flight.
Tinline biplane model is believed to be a scale version of the machine tested at Eastchurch in 1910 without success.
Travers-Ayers helicopter model took off under its own power.
Travers-Ayers ornithopters were tested on Tooting Common in 1914.
Twining type 1 glider of 1910 on the snow at St. Moritz.
Twining type 2A glider of 1910 was a more advanced machine with an original lateral control system.
Twining type 1A glider of 1911. Was an improved version of the previous machine with the addition of a wheeled undercarriage with skids and a seat for the pilot.
Twining type 1 glider of 1911 had three bay wings and ailerons mounted on the outboard interplane struts.
UAC Birdling monoplane with an ABC engine which was at Brooklands in late 1911.
University College School triplane glider of 1911 under construction.
Vaughan glider No.I of 1909 was of Chanute type.
Vaughan glider No.II of 1910 was of Wright type.
Vickers EFB.2 Type 18 was tested at Bognor and Brooklands late in 1913.
Vickers EFB.3 Type 18B had a metal nacelle and was flown at Brooklands in January 1914.
Vickers SB 1. A school biplane design based on EFB.3 with pupil's position in the front cockpit.
Wallbro monoplane built at Cambridge and flown with some success in July-October 1914.
Weaver Ornithoplane No.2 was built in Coventry and flew at Hamptonin-Arden in 1910.
Weaver Ornithoplane No.3. An ambitious design with two engines which was not built.
Webb-Peet monoplane was built at Gloucester in 1910-1911 but failed to fly.
Weiss man-powered monoplane in incomplete form.
Weiss man-powered monoplane on the ramp near Bury Hill, Sussex.
Weiss tractor monoplane No.I 'Elsie' was a reconstruction of the 1909 glider.
Weiss monoplane No.I 'Elsie' at Brooklands in 1910 with tail added.
Welford monoplane. The machine due to be tested at Boldon in 1909 was probably based on this design.
Welford pusher monoplane patented in 1911 does not seem to have been built.
Weston-Hurlin biplane. First and second versions of this machine were constructed in 1911 but not completed.
Wight twin-fuselage landplane was ordered by the French government in August 1914 but crashed on test at Eastchurch.
Wight twin-fuselage seaplane Admiralty type 187. A modified version of the Twin landplane. Three were built but found unsuitable as torpedo carriers.
White & Thompson Thompson-Lanchester No.l biplane 'The Grey Angel' was partly built by Daimler and was wrecked at Middleton in 1911.
W&T Norman Thompson No.I biplane was flown in 1913 but was not developed.
W&T biplane NT3, nicknamed 'Bognor Bloater', was a BE2c derivative used by the RNAS.
Wigram flying boat under construction at SE Saunders' works. It was not completed.
Wigram flying boat designed by Arthur Wigram of Sydney to take part in the Seaplane Circuit of Britain race.
Williams monoplane. The first version in 1910 was not a success.
Williams monoplane. The second version was flown in 1912-1913 at Llanddona, Anglesey.
Wilson ornithopter had wings of the Pettigrew type.
Wilson ornithopter was launched from the top of a 60ft staging and glided to the ground.
Wilson monoplane. This drawing shows a developed version of the machine built in 1909.
Windham glider of Chanute type was built by apprentices in 1909.
Windham monoplane No.2. At the Doncaster meeting in October 1909 the machine collapsed on the ground.
Windsor glider WMA & GC No.I was flown with and without wing extensions in 1912-1913.
Windsor glider WMA & GC No.2 was built in 1913.
Windsor biplane WMA & GC No.3 was started in 1913 but was not completed when war was declared. The Edwards engine still exists in the Brooklands Museum.
Wokingham Flyer. This is the fuselage of this large machine on its way to Windsor for engine installation in January 1910. The Flyer was not completed.
Wokingham monoplane. Little is known about this machine of probably 1909-1910 vintage.
Wolfe & Ashburner monoplane made at Burnley in 1910.
Wood triplane glider ornithopter of 1912.
Wood & Maas biplane glider was tested on the South Downs in 1910.
Woods biplane glider of Wright type was built at Fleetwood and tested in 1912.
Woods biplane glider of Wright type was built at Fleetwood and tested in 1912.
Worswick motorplane type C No.I appeared in early 1910 but never flew.
Worswick monoplane was built during 1909 at Gathurst near Wigan but was not flown.
Wynn monoplane of 1909 lifted off the ground briefly before being wrecked.
Yates monoplane was built at Wilmington, Sussex in 1912 but was incapable of flight.
A. V. Roe seated in the 35 h.p. Green engined Roe III triplane at Squantum Point, Boston, U.S.A. in September 1911. This machine was destroyed by fire on the train on the way to the Blackpool Meeting. (Green engine).
Roe III Triplane. Four of these were built, including one exported to the United States. (JAP engine).
Vickers Hydravion Type 14 land/seaplane was an enlarged version of the Vickers Boxkite.
Vickers Type 14B had two 100hp Gnome engines in the nacelle driving twin tractor propellers mounted outboard on the wing struts.
Vickers German fighting biplane, probably the GFB.l of 1914, was not completed.
Vickers GFB.l showing drive from 200hp Gnome to the wing mounted propellers.
Bristol Coanda Type BR7 of 1913 for the Spanish government. Works No.157.
The first Blackburn Type I two-seater monoplane of 1913 ready for one of its early flights, with M. G. Christie and Harold Blackburn aboard and showing the original engine cowling.
Sydney Pickles with the Improved Type I at West Auckland on 11 July 1914. This view shows the twin tail skid and narrow-chord tailplane.
Blackburn Type I seaplane with Anzani radial engine. W.R. Ding at Lake Windermere.
W&T Bass-Curtiss Airboat was a major reconstruction of a Curtiss F fitted with an Anzani engine in June 1914.
White and Thompson Single-engine Flying-boat with Norman Thompson standing alongside. W&T flying boat 'Seaplane No.2' was to have been No.7 in the 1914 Circuit of Britain but was impressed into the RNAS as No.882.
W&T flying boat 'Seaplane No.I' was to have flown as No.9 in the 1914 Circuit of Britain but was taken over by the RNAS as No.883 instead.
Wight Navyplane 1914 type. This enlarged version was first seen at Olympia in March 1914. Seven were built including four for the German Navy.
Wight type A.I Improved Navyplane. Seven of these (Nos.171-177) were ordered in 1914 for the RNAS.
Wight type A.II Improved Navyplane. Four of these were built with various modifications including a 225hp Sunbeam engine.
Sopwith Type DM hydro biplane built to contest the Daily Mail Seaplane Circuit of Britain in 1913.
The Sopwith Type DM was bought by the Admiralty to use both as a land and seaplane but was deleted in August 1914.
Sopwith Type DM landplane version.
A puzzling machine from many aspects was the Sopwith seaplane shown here, which bore the Admiralty type-number 137 and was powered by a 120 hp Austro-Daimler engine.
Sopwith Admiralty Type 137 seaplane, assembled at Woolston in 1914, had an Austro Daimler engine.
Sopwith Admiralty Type 138 seaplane was larger than 137 and was fitted with a more powerful Salmson engine.
Wight No.2 Navyplane. The second version with additional struts to front of floats.
Wight No.2 Navyplane. This improved version of the No.l seaplane first flew in August 1913 but was not bought by the RNAS until the outbreak of war.
Bett monoplane. Sketches accompanying Patent No.22001/1910.